FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards-501/)
-   -   connecting to int'l at BWI on different PNRs (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards/1750909-connecting-intl-bwi-different-pnrs.html)

Homer15 Mar 4, 2016 1:02 pm

connecting to int'l at BWI on different PNRs

A relative is joining us for a trip from BWI-CUN. She bought her own domestic flight on WN, which arrives BWI with a layover of 1:15.

WN actually sells the two flights as connecting, but right now we have two different PNRs, and I think at this point we would have to go up a fare class to rebook her ticket as a single PNR.

Relative is willing to pack just in carry-on, so I am inclined to let things be unless people think either that 1:15 is not a sufficient layover for domestic-int'l on separate PNRs and/or that it's important to get her reticketed on a single PNR (I assume that's possible if we really wanted to?)?

Also, any idea whether they would agree to let her check luggage through on separate PNRs, and if they do whether the risks of it not getting there are much higher than usual?

thanks

Mr. Vker Mar 5, 2016 6:49 am

I honestly don't know how this works and BWI is my home airport. Because, WN doesn't let you get your international BP at time of check in-only get your boarding order. I would try the following.

1) At point of departure for connection to BWI, will they give the BWI-CUN BP? Otherwise, that will have to be obtained at BWI. I am not sure if you can get that at the gate or not. I assume so.

2) Connection is not that difficult as long as no delays. Connecting flight will arrive at A, B, or C. CUN flight will depart from one of those as well. It will be like a domestic connection. I would personally like 2 hours in case of problems.

3) Can you call WN and have the two PNR's linked?

toomanybooks Mar 5, 2016 7:47 am

Things like this are always a risk, more so at certain times of year (weather) or if the last flight tends to be full or runs sparingly.

If the flight to BWI is cancelled or late, since there is not one PNR, I am not sure WN "protects" her. If they do, someone please advise.

Similar to situations like flying somewhere for a cruise, I generally try to go to the connection point the day before, or at least get there hours early. I'd never cut something like this as close as 1:15.

ray1111 Mar 7, 2016 4:11 pm

On separate PNRs it will most likely be necessary to do passport check at the BWI gate rather than at originating airport. I've never had this take very long there (so I'd personally take the risk on the connection to save $$), but never say never.

Also, it's important to remember that on the return, your relative will receive their baggage at BWI and have to recheck it and go through security again for their domestic connection. (This is a big problem is you've purchased duty free fluid.) Plus it's a long walk from international arrival to the SW gates. So tight connections are bad for return flights.

Have fun in CUN!

BaltimoreZ71 Mar 9, 2016 5:49 am

You have to check with the Southwest agent when you check in. I needed additional segments one year and so I booked a weeks worth of travel as all single-leg one way tickets. For the one trip that I had checked luggage the agent at check-in verified my second ticket (BWI-LAS then LAS-BUR) and checked my bag through to BUR.

expert7700 Mar 9, 2016 6:45 am

I am surprised nobody mentioned this yet. There is a hard-stop for WN International checkin of one hour prior to your flight due to US security regulations. If online checkin fails (which happens often, due to WN needing a passport scan/OCR read at the airport), their 1hr15min connection has them on very dangerous territory timewise. WN's agents at their starting airport do not have to agree to check them in for a PNR not originating from the airport they are at.

If they were coming in the night before? Sure, separate itineraries. But I would never cut it that close. If they miss their Int'l flight, not only are WN flights sparse, but they do not allow oversales or standby.

Homer15 Mar 13, 2016 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by expert7700 (Post 26306648)
I am surprised nobody mentioned this yet. There is a hard-stop for WN International checkin of one hour prior to your flight due to US security regulations. If online checkin fails (which happens often, due to WN needing a passport scan/OCR read at the airport), their 1hr15min connection has them on very dangerous territory timewise. WN's agents at their starting airport do not have to agree to check them in for a PNR not originating from the airport they are at.

If they were coming in the night before? Sure, separate itineraries. But I would never cut it that close. If they miss their Int'l flight, not only are WN flights sparse, but they do not allow oversales or standby.

Thanks for flagging that. We ended up calling WN and they reticketed the itinerary onto a single PNR-- difference in fare was nominal.

In poking around on the website, it says you can scan your passport at a kiosk, so I was wondering if the kiosk in the departure city would have checked her in for a flight departing from another city later in the day, but it was not worth testing.

robbert Mar 14, 2016 9:13 am

short cut

There is a short-cut from A/B to E at BWI, take the elevator up to the upper level (parking access), there are moving walkways and the distance is shorter. It takes me 5 min vs. 10 walking all around the terminal. Sometimes it makes a difference.