Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Route change [speculation / observations] re: WN [next / recent] schedule extension

Route change [speculation / observations] re: WN [next / recent] schedule extension

Old May 24, 2018, 4:33 pm

Programs: HH Silver
I would be very surprised if PAE is included. If it is, WN would be the first airline to sell flights. The teminal is still a skeleton, and while they claim it is on schedule, we all know how that works.
Old May 26, 2018, 5:08 pm

MFE-SIN (using a MAX of course)
Old May 27, 2018, 11:59 am

Programs: OnePass, AAdvantage, TrueBlue, HHonors
Smile

Originally Posted by spongenotbob
MFE-SIN (using a MAX of course)
I believe they will be selling this along with an -800 scheduled to serve RNO-HRL-PWM-RIC-CRP. daily. (insert heavy sarcasm)
Old May 28, 2018, 10:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by Seat13c
Probably no Hawaii on this extension as it will be on its own release.
Right! It will stand alone for Hawaii flights. Probably they have wait for final FAA approval with ETOPS overwater certified.
Old May 30, 2018, 9:44 am

Programs: HH Diamond, EX-AA Explat, WN Loyalist
Originally Posted by Mary Louise
WN drops the # of non stops from PVD to MCO, I wonder if Frontier had anything to do with that.
Seems like Providence is constantly getting cut with WN. No more nonstops anywhere west (gone are the days of non stops to Phoenix or Vegas, which were always packed). Now, they are under siege by American, Frontier and Jetblue. More options makes them more attractive to business customers.
Old May 30, 2018, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by leeinct
Seems like Providence is constantly getting cut with WN. No more nonstops anywhere west (gone are the days of non stops to Phoenix or Vegas, which were always packed). Now, they are under siege by American, Frontier and Jetblue. More options makes them more attractive to business customers.
PVD did get DCA not too long ago.
Old May 30, 2018, 12:32 pm

Programs: UA, AA, WN, JB, Hilton Honors, Starwood
They dropped PHL a couple of years ago.
Old May 30, 2018, 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by Mary Louise
They dropped PHL a couple of years ago.
The PHL drop was more a PHL thing than a PVD thing. PHL dropped MHT, PIT, BOS, and a few others at the same time to move assets to ATL that was coming online at the time.
Old May 30, 2018, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
The PHL drop was more a PHL thing than a PVD thing. PHL dropped MHT, PIT, BOS, and a few others at the same time to move assets to ATL that was coming online at the time.
Yes, because of this, US Airways is really pissed with Southwest at PHL. They dropped nonstop to MHT, PVD, BDL, BOS and a few other routes, as well.
Old May 31, 2018, 7:39 am

Originally Posted by N830MH
Yes, because of this, US Airways is really pissed with Southwest at PHL. They dropped nonstop to MHT, PVD, BDL, BOS and a few other routes, as well.
If anything, US Airways being pissed that WN should be a reason to stay. The whole reason WN drew down PHL was that aircraft was needed in ATL because of the WN/FL transition and PHL had routes that weren't paying off. Prime example was the PHL-PIT had about 50% load factor and was always being flooded with US inflight commuters that got relocated to PHL after the PIT base got shedded. I would argue that the only route that should have stayed was PHL-BOS (2x daily well time) would have been great with business travelers. But now that boat has sailed with B6 on the route and DL coming to it soon.
Old May 31, 2018, 11:17 am

Official press release...

https://www.swamedia.com/releases/re...ugh-early-2019
Old Jun 2, 2018, 6:51 am

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by tatterdema
I would be very surprised if PAE is included. If it is, WN would be the first airline to sell flights. The teminal is still a skeleton, and while they claim it is on schedule, we all know how that works.
And here is the first delay I predicted, lol. I think there will be many more. My bet is 2019 at the earliest.

https://www.heraldnet.com/business/f...ervice-impact/
Old Jun 14, 2018, 8:10 am

If anything, US Airways being pissed that WN should be a reason to stay. The whole reason WN drew down PHL was that aircraft was needed in ATL because of the WN/FL transition and PHL had routes that weren't paying off. Prime example was the PHL-PIT had about 50% load factor and was always being flooded with US inflight commuters that got relocated to PHL after the PIT base got shedded. I would argue that the only route that should have stayed was PHL-BOS (2x daily well time) would have been great with business travelers. But now that boat has sailed with B6 on the route and DL coming to it soon.
I don't think a 2x daily schedule on PHL-BOS would be effective, from a schedule perspective. If it can done as a day trip to a major business market, US or now AA is going to have a lot of frequency. Apparently, Southwest is struggling on BOS point of sale with a number of BOS routes, as well. The only way to fix it now is for Southwest to acquire JetBlue.

Regarding Southwest, it's also just running PHL-ATL at 2x daily in early September, after Labor Day. I think it's the first time, it's being flown with such low frequency since the AirTran acquisition, and that route is an important business market. Meanwhile, PHL-BNA will be at 3x daily. Perhaps there is a slow shift from ATL to BNA in importance, at least for connections into the South/Southeast.

Last edited by beyondhere; Jun 14, 2018 at 8:18 am
Old Jul 24, 2018, 8:23 pm

Oof, BWI lost three west coast destinations (SEA, SJC, SMF) and gained no new destinations in the schedule update in late June. As a BWI-based traveler, rough. https://www.southwestaircommunity.co...les/ba-p/76079
Old Aug 24, 2018, 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by ENOTTY
Oof, BWI lost three west coast destinations (SEA, SJC, SMF) and gained no new destinations in the schedule update in late June. As a BWI-based traveler, rough. https://www.southwestaircommunity.co...les/ba-p/76079
I’m surprised and annoyed (as a DC-based flyer) to see them drop these routes. I loved that SJC flight and with the Hawaii flights (hopefully) launching soon it seems like they’d want to make it easier, not harder to get to SJC and SMF. I looked at booking a trip in January and even connecting options didn’t have great times. I love WN but this might drive be back to DL, especially since their new DTW-SJC flight offers more connecting options.

I know loads don’t equal profits but I’ve never been on a BWI-SJC flight in either direction that wasn’t 100% full. SJC-BWI seemed to be mostly connecting, so perhaps they’re figuring they can route that traffic through a different hub.

I hope we see these flights again!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.