Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Checked-in at exactly 24 Hours and Got C6.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2016, 8:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Gold, DL DIrt Medallion
Checked-in at exactly 24 Hours and Got C6.

Ugh. It's my first dreaded C.

It's a 737-800 flight, but am I crazy to assume that I might still find a window or aisle somewhere on the aircraft?

It's the first leg of a flight and it departs TPA at 9:05 AM, so I don't think anyone will be remaining on the plane.

I guess I'll be checking a bag. This will teach me to be cheap. I paid for Early bird on the return after this happened.

At least I'll have 2 hours to erase my memories at Root Down in DEN before my next flight.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 8:18 am

Check and see if a1-15 is available to upgrade at the gate-counter? Seen it usually around $40.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 8:57 am

Twice I have gotten stuck buying tickets after the T-24 checkin so I was stuck in the mid to late C's.

The first time, it was a 7am originating flight. At the gate, the agent confirmed that if I paid the $40 I'd get A1, so I paid it and got the infinity legroom seat.

The other time, it was a night flight and I figured buying up wasn't worth it since the exits would surely be taken by throughs. I was worried about getting stuck in a middle all day long (I am 6"3' and always prefer aisle or infinity legroom). In the end, despite the flight being full and me boarding around C30, I had my choice of multiple aisles in the back third of the plane. It seems like many people would rather be in a middle near the front, or at least they don't want to waddle all the way to the back...

In your specific case, I'd confirm whether or not the flight will have any throughs, and if not, I'd ask at the gate what number you'd get if you bought up for the $40. If it is within the first 3 or 4 I'd do it.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Nirvana91
Twice I have gotten stuck buying tickets after the T-24 checkin so I was stuck in the mid to late C's.

The first time, it was a 7am originating flight. At the gate, the agent confirmed that if I paid the $40 I'd get A1, so I paid it and got the infinity legroom seat.

The other time, it was a night flight and I figured buying up wasn't worth it since the exits would surely be taken by throughs. I was worried about getting stuck in a middle all day long (I am 6"3' and always prefer aisle or infinity legroom). In the end, despite the flight being full and me boarding around C30, I had my choice of multiple aisles in the back third of the plane. It seems like many people would rather be in a middle near the front, or at least they don't want to waddle all the way to the back...

In your specific case, I'd confirm whether or not the flight will have any throughs, and if not, I'd ask at the gate what number you'd get if you bought up for the $40. If it is within the first 3 or 4 I'd do it.
Thanks for the advice. I'm planning to ask about the $40 "upgrade".
Old Jan 29, 2016, 9:41 am

Programs: LTP, PP
I once had an A01 for a -800 LAX-BWI cross country but my %*&#)@ incoming was late so once I got there they we just boarding C's. There were windows and aisles left at the very back and I took a window (bad move). Still horrible due to a fatty in the middle and was horribly claustrophobic to the point I almost bailed out. But it is very possible with C6 on a -800. $40 is a good deal at this point especially since the -800 has double the exit rows making the odds much better. Best of fun at Root Down! I was coming home from 3 nights at the Greek Theatre in Berkeley...
Old Jan 29, 2016, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks for the pep talk.

My step-sister lives in denver and swears by Root Down. I'm looking forward to that.
Old Jan 30, 2016, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I rolled the dice and boarded with my C6. Praise Jebus I got an aisle seat in the second exit row. I'm not sure who I should sacrifice a goat to in thanks.
Old Jan 30, 2016, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by SRQ Guy
I rolled the dice and boarded with my C6. Praise Jebus I got an aisle seat in the second exit row. I'm not sure who I should sacrifice a goat to in thanks.
So C6 wasn't so bad! Ya never know!
Old Jan 30, 2016, 2:34 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
C6 on an -800 is as good as B20 on a -700. Those 32 extra seats really make a difference.
Old Jan 30, 2016, 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by Nirvana91

People are weird....I've gotten row 1 aisle with a BP in the A-40 range before. 39 people before me, plus throughs, and no one took it. I mean, it doesn't happen often, and with high As or low Bs, I tend to be aisle by the wing, but it's happened.
Old Jan 31, 2016, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by t325
People are weird....I've gotten row 1 aisle with a BP in the A-40 range before. 39 people before me, plus throughs, and no one took it. I mean, it doesn't happen often, and with high As or low Bs, I tend to be aisle by the wing, but it's happened.
Some people don't like the lack of a tray table at row 1; and others may have a carry-on and the space at row 1 was already taken.

I've seen row 1 aisle and window open as late as A55.
Old Jan 31, 2016, 10:44 am

There may have been a lot of A-list frequent fliers and others that buy early board fee for carry-on convenience.

And, likely a lot of customers wanted seat selection, especially wanted for a TPA-DEN flight duration. Getting a C at 24 hrs. would still surprise me though.
Old Jan 31, 2016, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
...My step-sister lives in denver and swears by Root Down. I'm looking forward to that.
A very cool place...good choice.
Old Jan 31, 2016, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
I got the same seat with B20 ATL-MDW yesterday.

And the Love Seat aisle one row ahead Thursday MDW-ATL with B-8.

Odd stuff.
Old Jan 31, 2016, 7:27 pm

I've been C61 and had plenty of windows and isles to choose from on -800s. They really are the best SWA experience for many reasons and why I am so happy to see so many more -800 orders and -700s converted to -800s. Bring on the MAX8

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.