Community
Wiki Posts
Search

WiFi Upgrades Beginning To Roll Out?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2018, 1:47 am

One of the FAs recently said that the “new” WiFi was found to be causing interference so they’ve had it turned off on many flights. I’ve noticed many flights lately where WiFi is inop as well. Although when it is working, I’ve found it to be barely usable anyway Bc of speeds — and I’ve been experiencing that for the last few years.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 9:55 am

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
It seems particularly awful recently. One flight the wifi only worked when the plane turned left (no joke!). Thankfully when we were waiting for the weather to clear, our holding pattern had us making left turns.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 2:22 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by Stephanie Rudy
One of the FAs recently said that the “new” WiFi was found to be causing interference ...
I wonder what this really means. Were this the case, I'd think this "interference" would be fleet-wide and all or nothing.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 2:25 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by tusphotog
It seems particularly awful recently. One flight the wifi only worked when the plane turned left (no joke!).
Maybe the storm system was so bad that the satellite signal couldn't penetrate if the airframe was pointed between it and the sats on that end of the sky (I'd be surprised if there were only one sat, i.e., more like an "Iridium" or "SiriusXM" moving-sat setup, vs. a "Direct-TV" geostationary orbit setup).
Old Sep 18, 2018, 3:00 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by kennycrudup
Maybe the storm system was so bad that the satellite signal couldn't penetrate if the airframe was pointed between it and the sats on that end of the sky (I'd be surprised if there were only one sat, i.e., more like an "Iridium" or "SiriusXM" moving-sat setup, vs. a "Direct-TV" geostationary orbit setup).
I like your thought, however, we were >250 miles from the big weather and well above all the scattered stuff. They stacked us up over ABQ while waiting for the weather to clear over Phoenix.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by kennycrudup
I wonder what this really means. Were this the case, I'd think this "interference" would be fleet-wide and all or nothing.
Yeah, because the whole fleet is identical....all 737 is such a false representation
Old Sep 19, 2018, 8:49 am

i flew between Dallas and Detroit and the WiFi was active but all but inoperable even to just check my work email and draft replies. It was laggy and non-responsive. I haven't had a great connection in a while. I hope the issues are remedied as I travel for work often and rely on the WiFi.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 8:15 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, Southwest A-List
I flew to puerto Rico yesterday and I was able to text through WiFi all the way to San Juan. That’s def a first for me!
Old Oct 7, 2018, 10:16 am

2-4 flights weekly lately...still awful.
Old Oct 7, 2018, 10:31 am

Yes, agree. Seems like the past month it has been totally unusable
Old Oct 8, 2018, 1:03 pm

another trip out to San Diego from Dallas and I could barely have enough bandwidth to check work emails and reply consistently without losing a connection.

Then i saw a casual flyer pull out their computer and fire up the "free" Southwest offerings of live tv and they were streaming nice HD video without any buffering. I then fired up the Live TV and received a great picture and then went back to my emails and had great bandwidth and then lost it after about 2 minutes, then I went back to the tab with the HD Video and it had stopped. Each time i started the Live TV the bandwidth was better until it stopped.

My conspiracy theory is that Southwest is funneling the Bandwidth to their offerings of Live TV/Movies and throttling other use of the bandwidth. It's just odd that the HD video is so good when I can't even get outlook to work consistently. I'd be curious if others would try this to see if there is any validity to it.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by cujo2344
My conspiracy theory is that Southwest is funneling the Bandwidth to their offerings of Live TV/Movies and throttling other use of the bandwidth. It's just odd that the HD video is so good when I can't even get outlook to work consistently. I'd be curious if others would try this to see if there is any validity to it.
They are caching the free TV channels..

My personal theory is WIFI is maxed out. There at best are three nodes on an aircraft. Only three channels don't overlap so assume they are 1,6, & 11.. Only one user gets data bursts at any time and few of them have the higher bandwidth protocols. WIFI performs more like a hub than a switch. If collision occurs that means a resend.

The free texting probably made matters worse...As phones are constantly pinging the nodes.

Last edited by Flythefuture; Oct 9, 2018 at 8:39 pm
Old Oct 10, 2018, 2:38 am

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Flythefuture

My personal theory is WIFI is maxed out. There at best are three nodes on an aircraft. Only three channels don't overlap so assume they are 1,6, & 11...
Your statements only apply to the oldest 2.4ghz radio broadcasts. Southwest has used and still uses both 2.4 and 5ghz, and can employ band steering to 5ghz.

I haven't seen a 2.4ghz only device in a long time (though some are out there).

Look up the # of channels that standard (narrowband) 5ghz supports. Newer access points have multiple radios for non overlapping higher density situations to ease congestion, and the AC protocol can help this much further.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 4:02 am

The choke point isn't the wifi onboard, it's the satellite internet connection.

The TV channels are one-way, and one stream from the satellite serves every passenger watching.

Each internet connection is two-way and unique for each passenger connecting to the internet.

There isn't really much correlation between performance of the two.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 4:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Flythefuture
They can cache movies (loaded to onboard servers) but they certainly aren't caching live TV...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.