Wiki Posts
Search

Need advice on storm issue (BDL)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2016, 9:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott/SPG Plat (won't last), Hilton Gold
Need advice on storm issue (BDL)

My daughter and I are currently in Orlando and scheduled to fly direct to BDL Sunday evening (7pm flight). This is my first time flying Southwest and I have not received any notification from them about a potential cancellation so I called tonight - the person I spoke with seemed to be telling me that no direct flights from MCO to BDL were being cancelled, not even for tomorrow. Could this be right? Is it possible that we will be okay if we remain on the currently scheduled flight? We really need to get home so I would prefer not to change the flight (and it appears all flights from MCO to BDL are sold out for Monday anyway - which kind of worries me that everyone else knows something I don't know) but I'm worried about being stranded at the airport on Sunday.

Any advice appreciated. Thank you!
Old Jan 22, 2016, 9:25 pm

All 3 Southwest flights today from MCO to BDL arrived at BDL within 1 hour of scheduled arrival.

National Weather Service is forecasting mostly sunny skies on Sunday near Hartford

Last edited by unifix; Jan 22, 2016 at 9:32 pm
Old Jan 22, 2016, 9:32 pm

The latest weather prog maps only go into the future until 6am Sunday morning, and they show the worst of the storm out over the Atlantic. I'll check updated maps Saturday and give you an opinion then. You may luck out on your timing..
Old Jan 22, 2016, 9:33 pm

As per the Evening NEWS . . those who had their flights cancelled today

are getting rebooked for Monday & Tuesday (at the earliest)

I would check the weather report ~ for Sunday . . MCO & BDL

and think happy thoughts . . have fun y'all.

Last edited by swm 1; Jan 22, 2016 at 11:44 pm
Old Jan 22, 2016, 9:52 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for the responses! Will check back into this thread tomorrow and see what you think then...and will try not to panic in the meantime! (Weather report seems to indicate that storm would be over in BDL by Sunday morning, but I'm not sure what that means for planes being where they need to be and runways getting cleared, etc.)
Old Jan 23, 2016, 8:55 am

Originally Posted by onetess
Thank you for the responses! Will check back into this thread tomorrow and see what you think then...and will try not to panic in the meantime! (Weather report seems to indicate that storm would be over in BDL by Sunday morning, but I'm not sure what that means for planes being where they need to be and runways getting cleared, etc.)
BDL is calling for 3miles in light snow starting mid-day and transitioning to just light snow with no restrictions to visibility by dinner time today, and that light snows should end around midnight. Winds should be out of the NE and then transitioning to being out of the north. What that suggests to me is that the low pressure system driving all this will continue to track out over the Atlantic and only give BDL a glancing blow today, and just be cloudy, windy, and cold tomorrow. By way of comparison, other airports like LGA and EWR are calling for 1/4mile in heavy snow.

I'll check again after dinner time this evening when another forecast comes out, but as of now I think your flight tomorrow should be OK weather-wise...
Old Jan 23, 2016, 9:59 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There's a 7:10 PM which is actually a nonstop (WN 363). That still shows as operating. Most of the nonstop show as operating. Most of the services showing connections at BWI are cancelled (due to the BWI segment).

All you can do is to keep checking. There's nothing that calling will do that checking the website status page can't do as the phone agents see that and nothing more (they aren't privy to operations thinking).

Problems are not likely due to BDL weather, but rather out-of-position aircraft and crews timing out from other routes. So just keep checking. Nothing much more to be done.
Old Jan 23, 2016, 10:50 am

KBDL 231735Z 2318/2424 03016G31KT 5SM -SN OVC025
FM231900 03015G30KT 1/2SM SN OVC020
FM232200 02014G27KT 1SM -SN OVC030
FM240000 02014G28KT 5SM -SN OVC030
FM240400 02014G27KT P6SM OVC050
FM240800 36011G19KT P6SM SCT250

New forecast is just out, and starting a 2pm to 5pm they're calling for 1/2 mile visibility in moderate snow, and then from 5pm-7pm visibility 1 mile in light snow, with only 5 miles snow until 11pm. Overall, that's not a long duration snowfall, and it seems to agree with the 3-5 inch accumulation the media is advertising. Assuming the forecast is correct, getting everything plowed at the airport shouldn't be an issue.

Next forecast is due out around dinner time...
Old Jan 23, 2016, 2:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There is nothing to panic about and nothing you can do. The situation at BDL is markedly better that any other nearby station, particularly those on the coast, e.g. BOS, PVD, JFK, LGA.

If your flight doesn't go, it will most likely be due to the aircraft being out of position or the crew timing out. There is no way that you can figure that out here or by any other means.

It's in WN's interest to get the aircraft to BDL as it's got passengers sitting at BDL waiting to go somewhere too.
Old Jan 23, 2016, 2:23 pm
Suspended

BDL is still operating fine unless you are going to/coming from CLT, IAD, DCA, or PHL, in which case your flight is cancelled.
Old Jan 23, 2016, 5:08 pm

New forecast shows snow ending by midnight. With almost all day Sunday to clean the airport up with the little they got (compared with other airports), I think your flight should operate as normal..
Old Jan 23, 2016, 5:58 pm
Original Poster

OPNLguy, thanks for continually checking for me. Very much appreciated! Sounds like maybe there won't be an issue with out-of-position aircraft either if they airport is functioning normally, right?

Thank you to all!
Old Jan 23, 2016, 7:44 pm

OPNLguy, thanks for continually checking for me. Very much appreciated! Sounds like maybe there won't be an issue with out-of-position aircraft either if they airport is functioning normally, right?

Thank you to all!
Still an outside possibility, but given that MCO is a crew base, I think you'll be fine...
Old Jan 24, 2016, 3:08 pm

Not only will your flight be fine you'll also be flying on Florida One
Old Jan 25, 2016, 6:00 pm
Original Poster

Yes, the flight did indeed take off (completely full) - thanks for the encouragement! I didn't know what Florida One was until we deplaned and saw the very decorative outside of our plane. Fancy!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.