Southwest and ExpertFlyer

Old Jan 18, 16, 4:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL - PM, SPG - Gold, National - Executive, Hertz - Five Star, Hilton - Gold, Marriott - Gold
Southwest and ExpertFlyer

Hello,
It seems that I bought the last remaining ticket on a non-stop from BWI-CUN. I went to add my companion - and it was sold out. I've since booked the companion on a non-direct flight, but want to change should a seat become available.

In ExpertFlyer, it seems that there are the following fare buckets: R,S,W,Y,L,B,Q,H,M,T,N,K,O

Does anyone know which fare class will open up if a single seat becomes available? Has anyone had success with an international seat alert for WN on ExpertFlyer?
Old Jan 18, 16, 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by WhoDeyWesley View Post
Hello,
It seems that I bought the last remaining ticket on a non-stop from BWI-CUN. I went to add my companion - and it was sold out. I've since booked the companion on a non-direct flight, but want to change should a seat become available.

In ExpertFlyer, it seems that there are the following fare buckets: R,S,W,Y,L,B,Q,H,M,T,N,K,O

Does anyone know which fare class will open up if a single seat becomes available? Has anyone had success with an international seat alert for WN on ExpertFlyer?
As for fare buckets I'd expect the most expensive to open up on a cancellation. With regard to aletrs it can't hurt, but I wouldn't rely on it. If your companion is flying an different route, why don't you book yourself on that route and add your companion. If the other one opens up cancel.
Old Jun 9, 17, 1:54 pm
Original Member

I also have the same question as OP. Rsteinmetz said "I'd expect the most expensive to open up on a cancellation" - but how do you know which one of those fare buckets is the most expensive?

Miz
Old Jun 9, 17, 2:02 pm

Y Full fare economy class ticket
J Full fare business class ticket
F Full fare first class ticket

F, A and P fare codes are first class fares
J, R, D and I are business class fares
Y, B, H, M, K, L, W, S, N, Q and O are economy
Old Jun 9, 17, 8:00 pm

Programs: WN A-List; Hyatt Glob: CC/HH Gold, Hertz 5*
Expertflyer also has fare information for Southwest. The most expensive classes without advance purchase requirement are K then Y. So it looks like K is Business Select and Y Anytime.
Old Jun 10, 17, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112 View Post
Y – Full fare economy class ticket
J – Full fare business class ticket
F – Full fare first class ticket

F, A and P fare codes are first class fares
J, R, D and I are business class fares
Y, B, H, M, K, L, W, S, N, Q and O are economy
That's not at all universal, and in fact is not only wrong for Southwest, it's also wrong for many other airlines. (Some airlines use C instead of J for paid business, even though AA uses C only for upgrades to business.)

As the OP said, on Southwest the choices were among ,S,W,Y,L,B,Q,H,M,T,N,K,O. There is no F, A, P, J, R, D, or I on Southwest flights. And btw you didn't have T on your list, which Southwest does use. (Did you use an AA list? AA uses T for saver awards in coach. BA, however, uses T for one of its Premium Economy cabin fares, and W for its other Premium Economy cabin fare. Like I said, there is no standard with these codes, each airline can implement them differently!)

And it's obvious that all Southwest fares are coach, isn't it? So the OP wasn't asking which ones are coach, but finer gradations than that.
Old Jun 13, 17, 3:21 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, WN A-List & CP, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by WhoDeyWesley View Post
Hello,

Southwest fare hierarchy is as follows

K - Business Select (KZBP)
Y - Anytime (YL)
B, H, L, Q, W, R, O, M, S, N - Wanna Get Away
X - Companion Pass Reservation
askmrlee likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: