FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards-501/)
-   -   SW I'm contacting the DOT regarding lack reward space for the original rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards/1737109-sw-im-contacting-dot-regarding-lack-reward-space-original-rewards.html)

ermintrude Jan 6, 2016 9:52 pm

SW I'm contacting the DOT regarding lack reward space for the original rewards

Has anyone contacted the DOT over this? the lack of award space for the original rewards is almost non-existent.

rsteinmetz70112 Jan 6, 2016 11:03 pm

I haven't seen this.

nsx Jan 7, 2016 6:01 am

My experience is that award space opens up quite nicely in the last week or so before travel. Far in advance on peak dates you will find nothing, just like with other airlines' saver awards.

smmrfld Jan 7, 2016 9:02 am

Originally Posted by ermintrude (Post 25975864)
Has anyone contacted the DOT over this? the lack of award space for the original rewards is almost non-existent.

You're wasting your time.

LegalTender Jan 7, 2016 9:40 am

DL removed its award chart altogether, arguably to preempt a DOT violation.

"The Department’s deceptive practices prohibitions preclude airlines from imposing unreasonable capacity restrictions and/or unannounced blackout dates for the use of frequent flyer awards.

To the extent airlines offer their frequent flyers awards for service to destinations, that traditionally are subject to high consumer demand, they must include in their promotional materials adequate disclosure that seats are limited—at times severely—and may not be available on every flight, if in fact that is the case."

rsteinmetz70112 Jan 7, 2016 1:53 pm

Does DoT do any thing with consumer complaints other than report how many there are?

joshua362 Jan 7, 2016 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112 (Post 25979822)
Does DoT do any thing with consumer complaints other than report how many there are?

:D Exactly. Does about as much as the DOJ does with merger / antitrust reviews. Lots of nice paying government jobs with little effect and outcomes.

Often1 Jan 7, 2016 3:10 pm

It's not worth the bandwidth it takes to file a complaint. And that presumes you have an unlimited data plan.

DOT has uniformly stayed away from whining about FFP availability and focused on things that matter to consumers.

LegalTender Jan 7, 2016 3:16 pm

Originally Posted by joshua362 (Post 25980133)
:D Exactly. Does about as much as the DOJ does with merger / antitrust reviews. Lots of nice paying government jobs with little effect and outcomes.

$300,00 in fines doesn't count?

Southwest Gets Hefty Fines for Advertising $59 Fares That Didn't Exist

ursine1 Jan 7, 2016 6:52 pm

How many standard awards can there still be out there? Anyone know the official Sunset date?

OP: Try calling customer relations to see if they can book something for you. Word is that they are doing this for A-Listers; worth a try even if you're not.

At the minimum, it will likely be more productive than filing a DOT claim.

joshua362 Jan 7, 2016 7:09 pm

Gotta be around 5/12/16, right? The last day to top off a seeded SA a year ago.

chuckworth Jan 7, 2016 10:05 pm

SW I'm contacting the DOT regarding lack reward space for the original rewards

My last available SA expires on 5/13/2016.

expert7700 Jan 8, 2016 12:43 am

If you are A-List Preferred,the Dallas CS# will override and book for you.

Interestingly, after they did this for me last weekend, my flight showed that I used a 'Freedom Award'. On the day of travel, standard award availability opened up.

I cancelled the 'freedom award' override booking, hoping it would redeposit as a freedom award. No luck--went back as a standard award.

oswaldjacoby Jan 8, 2016 11:53 am

Do file a complaint

Originally Posted by ermintrude (Post 25975864)

I do think you have a very legitimate complaint, and would definitely file with the DOT. I have had the same experience. SW has rendered the legacy awards almost impossible to use with very little availability. Even on flights that have the lowest fare buckets available for awards, there is often no award availability. If you are not A list, there is no chance of an override.

I think a strong case can be made the impossibility of using these awards amounts to a breach of contract. As other posters have noted, it is true that availability is often low for many award classes on other airlines. But, there is a huge difference. On other airlines, your miles don't expire, and if you can't use a reward this year, you can use it next year. This is not the case with the legacy awards. If you can not find a flight by the expiration date, they are gone, and there is no chance SW will offer you an extension.

Will a complaint help you personally? it is possible, but not likely. When you reply to the DOT, SW does have to respond to you personally, and cc the DOT--so sometimes it prompts a better response. But usually not. Still--you should file out of principle. If enough customers complain about this, it is possible it will prompt an investigation. And the DOT complaints rates are used by the media to compare the customer service among airlines--and a complaint at least gets SW a well deserved ding for their less than honorable actions here.

ermintrude Jan 9, 2016 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by oswaldjacoby (Post 25985502)
I do think you have a very legitimate complaint, and would definitely file with the DOT.

Will a complaint help you personally? it is possible, but not likely. When you reply to the DOT, SW does have to respond to you personally, and cc the DOT--so sometimes it prompts a better response. But usually not. Still--you should file out of principle. If enough customers complain about this, it is possible it will prompt an investigation. And the DOT complaints rates are used by the media to compare the customer service among airlines--and a complaint at least gets SW a well deserved ding for their less than honorable actions here.

I don't expect to gain from this, just for the DOT to metaphorically slap SW on the wrist. Airlines hate DOT complaints (except the UA Denmark mistake complaints which wasted everyone's time) and I think it's nasty what SW is doing regarding availability of those old legacy awards. I'll do it tomorrow - I've been busy. As you say, if enough people complain, hopefully SW will open up award space prior to their expiration which is all that I want anyway. I typically fly UA in the US at the moment and currently they have great award availability (IMO). nothing ventured nothing gained....