Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

SW I'm contacting the DOT regarding lack reward space for the original rewards

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SW I'm contacting the DOT regarding lack reward space for the original rewards

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2016, 8:35 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by ermintrude
I don't expect to gain from this, just for the DOT to metaphorically slap SW on the wrist. Airlines hate DOT complaints (except the UA Denmark mistake complaints which wasted everyone's time) and I think it's nasty what SW is doing regarding availability of those old legacy awards.
I have been using standard awards regularly for well over 10 years. I have seen no deterioration in availability over the last several years. Furthermore, I believe the allocation algorithm has not been modified in recent years.

I don't doubt that you are seeing tight availability for the flights you want, but I do doubt that you would have seen anything better a year or two earlier under the same circumstances.

People here would be enthusiastically agreeing with your observations if they were the rule, so they must be the exception.
Old Jan 9, 2016, 8:52 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
Never a problem finding award travel on WN..

who are they trying to Kidd.
Old Jan 10, 2016, 6:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: papa card, UA 1K
Originally Posted by nsx
Furthermore, I believe the allocation algorithm has not been modified in recent years.

People here would be enthusiastically agreeing with your observations if they were the rule, so they must be the exception.
? so what is that algorithm

All the savvy fliers I know rarely fly SW and only a few of them have legacy awards - Quite frankly it is not worth their time to complain (I've brought it up) - it's not as if you are going after a first class LH from FRA.......It's somewhat the principle and I would like to use them if possible.
Old Jan 10, 2016, 9:19 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by nsx
I have been using standard awards regularly for well over 10 years. I have seen no deterioration in availability over the last several years. Furthermore, I believe the allocation algorithm has not been modified in recent years.

I don't doubt that you are seeing tight availability for the flights you want, but I do doubt that you would have seen anything better a year or two earlier under the same circumstances.

I think you & I have had this discussion before and may have concluded that its highly airport/route dependent. SA availability dried up out of ISP many, many years ago coupled with their tremendous service cutbacks. Had it not been for the A List+ override secret, I would have been stuck with many of 6 AirTran 2 step awards I created at that deadline. As usual, YMMV.

But its all moot as they all go away 5/13/16 anyway to a tiny subset of those who seeded a final award...
Old Jan 10, 2016, 12:59 pm

All the savvy fliers I know rarely fly SW
Nice way to ruin your credibility.
Old Jan 10, 2016, 4:03 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
? so what is that algorithm
As I understand it, an award seat is opened on a flight (per flight number, not per one-way trip) if and only if a WGA cash seat would be offered at a fare of $X for that flight. The value of X does NOT equal any cash fare bucket price. It is probably at or below the low end of cash prices.

For a flight from A to B, X is computed as the anticipated fare earned in the A-B market averaged over all customers on flights from A to B. If 90% of the customers are on $49 fares from A to B the average fare earned will be a little higher than $50. If 50% of the customers are paying $80 to fly A to B to C, then the A to B portion might earn only $40 from those customers, pulling down the average.

The algorithm is far from transparent, but my experience is simpler to summarize. If a short haul flight would sell out at $100 minimum fare that flight is not likely to have standard awards open. Think Friday and Sunday peak hour flights. These flights earn above-average yields so they don't get award seats.

If a long-haul flight would sell out at $200 minimum fare, same thing. That kind of fight has above-average yield. You can get an unpopular flight with a standard award, especially late in the game when the pricing engine decides that the flight is not going to sell out for cash fares. You will not get a seat on a popular flight that has high yield unless at the last minute the pricing engine decides that cash purchases have come up short of expectations.

I believe that other airlines allocate their saver award seats very similarly, except that premium class awards sometimes get no last-minute boost to inventory even if the sales fall short of expectation.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 6:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: papa card, UA 1K
Originally Posted by nsx
As I understand it, an award seat is opened on a flight (per flight number, not per one-way trip) if and only if a WGA cash seat would be offered at a fare of $X for that flight. The value of X does NOT equal any cash fare bucket price. It is probably at or below the low end of cash prices.

For a flight from A to B, X is computed as the anticipated fare earned in the A-B market averaged over all customers on flights from A to B. If 90% of the customers are on $49 fares from A to B the average fare earned will be a little higher than $50. If 50% of the customers are paying $80 to fly A to B to C, then the A to B portion might earn only $40 from those customers, pulling down the average.

The algorithm is far from transparent, but my experience is simpler to summarize. If a short haul flight would sell out at $100 minimum fare that flight is not likely to have standard awards open. Think Friday and Sunday peak hour flights. These flights earn above-average yields so they don't get award seats.

If a long-haul flight would sell out at $200 minimum fare, same thing. That kind of fight has above-average yield. You can get an unpopular flight with a standard award, especially late in the game when the pricing engine decides that the flight is not going to sell out for cash fares. You will not get a seat on a popular flight that has high yield unless at the last minute the pricing engine decides that cash purchases have come up short of expectations.

I believe that other airlines allocate their saver award seats very similarly, except that premium class awards sometimes get no last-minute boost to inventory even if the sales fall short of expectation.
I don't know anything about this matter (for SW) so your post is interesting to me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.