Prices when Spirit Comes to Town

Old Dec 24, 2015, 5:43 pm

WN and AA are both matching NK MDW/ORD-PHL. $41 and $50 all in fares abound. Bought a $96 r/t in February to PHL to see Bruce Springsteen. Cheaper than my concert ticket by a long shot.
Old Dec 24, 2015, 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by Exiled in Express
My experience has shown that WN takes Spirit as serious competition.

MSP/CHI can regularly be had for $41 on SWA T/W/Sat with a few weeks lead time and DAL also drops below $50 though with a connection. Interestingly there is not much of a price match with Frontier on DEN.
Part of me thinks they aren't worried about Frontier. Frontier, AA and SWA all announced PHX service at CLE around the same time. Barely a year went by and F9 dropped it citing it being seasonal and never added it back, with AA dropping it in April of 2016. Frontier is also dropping DEN in January which coincidentally was announced shortly after SWA announced DEN service out of CLE. Just a thought though.
Old Feb 4, 2016, 7:59 pm
Original Poster

Not sure if Southwest is ever going to catch on that Spirit is now competing on BOS-BWI. I had to book a RT in April on Spirit because WN's prices were >2x more expensive. In fact, Southwest's prices are so high that I also booked a OW on JetBlue one weekend. FWIW, I've only flown WN on this route for the past 2 years.
Old Feb 4, 2016, 8:15 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Southwest probably loses a lot of business for last-minute travel due to its policy of keeping fares so high less than 7 days out.
Old Feb 4, 2016, 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by vacayseeker
Not sure if Southwest is ever going to catch on that Spirit is now competing on BOS-BWI. I had to book a RT in April on Spirit because WN's prices were >2x more expensive. In fact, Southwest's prices are so high that I also booked a OW on JetBlue one weekend. FWIW, I've only flown WN on this route for the past 2 years.
I think the best time to check to see if Southwest is fare matching is about 3-6 weeks before the flight date.

I've seen low Southwest fares on BWI-ATL, BWI-MDW, and even BWI-MCO, so I don't see why it wouldn't be possible for BWI-BOS. JetBlue might even get more reactive to fare match Spirit, triggering Southwest to really be fare matching JetBlue.

Last edited by beyondhere; Feb 4, 2016 at 9:29 pm
Old Feb 6, 2016, 11:32 pm

Programs: My opinions are my own and not that of my employer(s)
Originally Posted by oswaldjacoby
Kind of interesting how times have changed. Back in the old day, I always looked forward to southwest's announcement of new routes, as a new route gave me the opportunity to save lots of $$ compared to the majors.

Now, I look forward to announcement from Spirit--hoping they will compete on a SW route--not because I ever fly Spirit, but because the competition will give some relief from the high SW fares.
Bob the former CEO of Airtran https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_L._Fornaro

So enjoy a company willing to take chances and not nearly as top heavy.
Old Feb 8, 2016, 5:17 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by nsx
Southwest probably loses a lot of business for last-minute travel due to its policy of keeping fares so high less than 7 days out.
Spirit or Frontier are one (or many) steps down from Greyhound... Their seats make Southwest Evolve seem like first class.

However, their fleets are new, and as NSX said they do not raise prices drastically for last minute flights. In Nov, I flew lLAS-CLE with 5 days notice for $15 on Frontier. CLE-LAS this past Friday for $109 with 4 huors notice on Spirit. No checked bag, no roller bag. I'll suffer with my elbows hitting the seat in front of me for 4 hours when the alternate is paying Southwest $600 for a last minute fare.
Old Feb 9, 2016, 3:36 am

Programs: Delta Dirt Medallion,AA,USairways, WN Rapid Rewards, National Emerald Club
You get what you pay for.

http://www.airlinequality.com/airlin...irit-airlines/
Old Feb 10, 2016, 9:50 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pto, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
MSP/MDW is now available for $36 on extreme off peak flights. I am pretty sure this is lower than even the introductory fares when MSP was opened.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 8:39 pm

Programs: My opinions are my own and not that of my employer(s)
Originally Posted by nsx
Have you checked that policy recently.

Most of them IMO have gone to BS AT only at 2-3 days.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.