Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Are WN fares higher than other airlines' in my markets?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Are WN fares higher than other airlines' in my markets?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2015, 2:23 am

Programs: Delta Dirt Medallion,AA,USairways, WN Rapid Rewards, National Emerald Club
Originally Posted by joshua362
Bottom line, some years ago, maybe coincidental with the expiration of fuel hedges or Gary taking over or whatever, WN stopped being a fair, cost / distance based fare airline (the $299 caps) and joined the legacies into a gouge, whatever the market will bear, airline...
It's labor cost. Southwest used to have industry lagging wages now it's near the top.
Old Dec 22, 2015, 2:24 am

Programs: Delta Dirt Medallion,AA,USairways, WN Rapid Rewards, National Emerald Club
Originally Posted by djp98374
WN is the driver of air fares....when they have a sale ...the other carriers usually match it.

The time I will see other carriers cheaper than WN will be when you book under 2 weeks or traveleng over the holidays and you didnt book early for it.
BINGO!

http://www.investopedia.com/terms/p/...leadership.asp
Old Dec 22, 2015, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by hazelrah
In some markets this may still be true, but in many more it's simply not.

Real low cost carriers such as Spirit, Frontier and Jet Blue, are more often the price leader. While many still incorrectly perceive it to be real, unfortunately, the "Southwest effect" is long gone.

RIP to the 'Southwest effect'?
Old Dec 23, 2015, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by pinniped
Southwest is almost always the most expensive choice for me. It makes sense: in 2015, they are the premium major domestic airline. As the premium product, they can charge more. Their planes are full.

When I fly them, it's because they deliver FAR more value than their competition. Nonstop flights, better airports, larger planes, customer service that is less-bad than the legacies, better frequencies, etc.
I agree with the bolded, in that almost every trip I've priced this year flying Southwest has either been virtually the same price, or more expensive than the legacy carriers. But I disagree with it being a premium product and the value prop. Out of HOU I find it difficult to get non-stop flights that fit my schedule, or if I do find a nonstop it makes the price higher than AA/UA's nonstop flight. I'm flying WN tomorrow and over 50% of their flights from HOU-ATL require changing planes, while all of UA's flights are direct. One could argue WN is all mainline, while lots of UA is express, but for a ~2 hr flight I could care less about the smaller plane.

But WN won this trip for me because it was the 1 time they were actually cheaper, had direct flights that met my schedule needs, and I had points to burn.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 1:17 pm

Programs: 3.2MM AA, 1.4MM UA,StwdLftPlt
I like WN as an airline. Haven't flown them as much as AA or UA, but most trips have been problem free and the crew pleasant. That said, I think one of the airline's secrets at the moment is the competitiveness of their fares. It is a tribute to their success in branding themselves a low cost carrier (and in the past frequently delivering) and the decision early on to avoid participating in global reservation systems has effectively disguised, without additional effort on the travelers part, their increase in fares. I suspect if you were to interview an infrequent traveler (or a ill informed business journalist), they would describe the airline as "very competitive with fares."

Fares from central Texas (AUS/SAT) are frequently substantially higher than the legacy carriers (i.e. $100 higher on a $300 fare)
Old Dec 23, 2015, 2:39 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by luckypierre
Fares from central Texas (AUS/SAT) are frequently substantially higher than the legacy carriers (i.e. $100 higher on a $300 fare)
I believe that these instances are evidence that Southwest is simply less agile and less sophisticated than other airlines in setting fares. The 7-day cutoff of discount fares is a prime example. Southwest often holds that line where other carriers flex it.
Old Dec 24, 2015, 2:31 am

Originally Posted by nsx
I believe that these instances are evidence that Southwest is simply less agile and less sophisticated than other airlines in setting fares. The 7-day cutoff of discount fares is a prime example. Southwest often holds that line where other carriers flex it.
Or alternatively, Southwest sets the market price, and other carriers decide to match or go a little lower.
Old Dec 24, 2015, 1:58 pm

It would seem obvious that the dominant carrier in each market would be the one setting the market price, with the other carriers choosing to then set their fares accordingly.
Old Dec 25, 2015, 3:33 am

Originally Posted by ursine1
It would seem obvious that the dominant carrier in each market would be the one setting the market price, with the other carriers choosing to then set their fares accordingly.
Delta is the dominant carrier at DTW, yet Southwest and Spirit are the price leaders in this particular market. @:-)
Old Dec 25, 2015, 7:14 am

I give up.
Old Dec 25, 2015, 7:27 am

Originally Posted by hazelrah
Delta is the dominant carrier at DTW, yet Southwest and Spirit are the price leaders in this particular market. @:-)
Detroit's price leader with 10-11 cities served? Interesting.
Old Dec 25, 2015, 7:37 am

Programs: Southwest, Best Western Gold, La Quinta, Dollar
Originally Posted by ursine1
I give up.
LOL I'm with you!
Old Dec 25, 2015, 7:49 am

DTW is a competitive deadbeat.
Old Dec 26, 2015, 4:31 am

Programs: 3.2MM AA, 1.4MM UA,StwdLftPlt
Originally Posted by nsx
I was going to suggest that one of the consequences of refusing to participate in the Airline Tariff Publishing enterprise was that SW didn't know what its competitors were doing real time fare wise, but it looks as though they are contributing fare information again.
Old Dec 27, 2015, 12:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LegalTender

DTW is a competitive deadbeat.

According to latest DOT numbers (from 1Q 2015). DTW roundtrip fares are roughly equal to ATL ($426 vs $427), but cheaper than airports like MSP, EWR, and IAH. It's certainly not a cheap airport, but I wouldn't really call it a "deadbeat" either. Clearly, these airports all share a commonality (a large incumbent legacy carrier hub).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.