Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hidden City Ticket on Southwest

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2015, 7:39 am
Original Poster

Hidden City Ticket on Southwest

I've read that Southwest used to specifically allow Hidden City tickets in their contract and now they don't specially allow it but they don't prohibit it either (unlike most other airlines that do). I will be flying with my family on a family trip and therefore need to check bags. I know I can't do Hidden City tickets if I'll be checking a bag as the bag will routed to the final destination. My question is if we are 3 people flying and we only need to check 2 bag for the 3 of us can I book 1 regular ticket and the remaining hidden city tickets. This way we'd all be on the same flight and I'd check the 2 bags under the person that is ticketed on a regular (non Hidden City) ticket. Would this work? I assume they don't care if I put 2 bags under 1 person and 0 bags for the other 2 when we're checking in, is that correct?

Assuming this would work would it be ok if the 2 of us booked on the Hidden City ticket (and who aren't checking bags under our names) to be booked using my Companion Pass? So I'd just be using points to book my Hidden City ticket and then adding my companion. We both wouldn't check bags. I'd book the 3rd person using my points on a regular (non Hidden City) ticket. I know a companion can't fly if you don't fly with them but here we'd both be on the first flight and we'd both not be on the 2nd leg. Also, should I notify the gate agent for the 2nd flight that we won't be flying?

Does this sound too crazy? I'm new to Southwest and don't want to violate their terms/contract since I have a bunch of points but if they don't prohibit it I don't see any reason not to do it? (asides from weather/mechanical problems that could get me rerouted).

Last edited by amm543; Dec 1, 2015 at 7:57 am
Old Dec 1, 2015, 7:43 am

Originally Posted by amm543
I've read that Southwest used to specifically allow Hidden City tickets in their contract
What??
Old Dec 1, 2015, 7:55 am

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Originally Posted by John Chow
What??
The OP is correct

My question is if we are 3 people flying and we only need to check 2 bag for the 3 of us can I book 1 regular ticket and the remaining hidden city tickets. This way we'd all be on the same flight and I'd check the 2 bags under the person that is ticketed on a regular (non Hidden City) ticket. Would this work? I assume they don't care if I put 2 bags under 1 person and 0 bags for the other 2 when we're checking in, is that correct?
That is correct. Book all 3 tickets as separate tickets.

And yes, you should notify the FA's that you are getting off. They do a head count for the through passengers, and it will be off if you do not notify them, causing some problems for them.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 7:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by John Chow
What??
That's what I saw some bloggers say when I googled it. Regardless of whether they used to specifically allow it. I believe they now don't prohibit it in their contract like most airlines do. Is that not correct?
Old Dec 1, 2015, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Some years ago they specifically allowed it in the T&Cs. Now IIRC they do not, but they do not specifically prohibit it.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 8:43 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
Does this sound too crazy? I'm new to Southwest and don't want to violate their terms/contract since I have a bunch of points but if they don't prohibit it I don't see any reason not to do it? (asides from weather/mechanical problems that could get me rerouted).
Also, since you mention you "have a bunch of points," make sure use points (instead of pay) for HCT reservations on WN (assuming WGA fare). With WN's no-show rules, no points will be awarded for the reservation if a connecting flight is no-showed; so, one is generally better off using points instead of paying for a planned HCT ticket on WN.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 9:19 am

Figured out "HCT ticket".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.