FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards-501/)
-   -   Uh oh, I'm about to go majorly negative on my credit card... what happens next??? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards/1727527-uh-oh-im-about-go-majorly-negative-my-credit-card-what-happens-next.html)

shellmisi Nov 27, 2015 8:00 pm

Uh oh, I'm about to go majorly negative on my credit card... what happens next???

It looks like I am going to be doing a rebuy and return in order to save a big chunk of change. This is going to put a refund of $10,000 on my southwest credit card. We have already earned the CP for next year and we don't use this card right now.

I know I can get the credit card company to cut me a check, but what happens to my rapid reward points? Do they take away the points from my account? Do they take away my companion pass for 2016? The last would be my worst case scenario since we are so close the the end of the year.

NoShoesNation Nov 28, 2015 7:01 am

I've returned a few items in the past and each time, the points have been deducted from my account. I'm sure you can expect the same.
As for the CP, I've never experienced your situation, but I would assume you'd lose it. Why would they let you keep it if you didn't earn it?

Tanic Nov 28, 2015 10:33 am

Sounds like you need to buy a lot of gift cards quickly.

toomanybooks Nov 28, 2015 10:35 am

Not sure, but if I were you I would spend that money back on the card quick. Buy grocery gift cards, prepay gas/electric for a few months, insurance, health club fees, etc. See if friends/relatives will let you buy things for them and reimburse you in cash.

If you are going to fly Southwest in the next few months, buy gift cards directly for 2x.

You will have the money to pay for all that spending.

Someone in the credit card forum may know for sure what will happen.

nsx Nov 28, 2015 2:03 pm

Don't close the account before you spend the $10k again and start earning points. Otherwise Chase's software is likely to flag you for some very unwelcome attention. It's probably OK if you need several months to accomplish this.

olouie Nov 28, 2015 2:54 pm

Saving $10K is awesome and likely worth more than most people's use of a CP. I would just buy some stuff to resell (even at a loss) if you really want CP. Apple products do well as does Tumi luggage for some reason.

Wingrider Nov 29, 2015 12:16 pm

Another wild card is to pay your property taxes using your CC. Those are pretty nice chunks (usually) if allowed in your state/county. Ours does charge something like $135 bucks but something to keep in mind if available. In California that's coming up around 12/8 iirc.