Pushing Bus select on half full flight

Old Oct 22, 2015, 4:49 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
In a forum which people obsess endlessly about the best seats on the plane, people are complaining about an airline selling you a chance to sit in the best seats on the plane. Hilarious.
Or not.

WN only has a few 'best seats' ( though I'm not really sure which they are ). People are not complaining - I think they are really laughing.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 8:29 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by lougord99
WN only has a few 'best seats'
This is the root of the problem. If WN had an Economy Plus, then the extra $ would make a lot more sense. To pay extra to sit a few rows closer to the front in an ordinary seat seems silly to me, but it takes all kinds.
Old Oct 23, 2015, 7:41 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by lougord99
Or not.

WN only has a few 'best seats' ( though I'm not really sure which they are ). People are not complaining - I think they are really laughing.
I probably wouldn't pay it myself because as you say WN only has a few "best seats," they are all economy, and no seat is guaranteed. That said, someone else may have a different opinion, and it is there money to spend. I don't see why any else would care. Saying "The person who pays $30 and sees this... has gotta be pi$sed. This is nonsense" and
" Yup ... I'd strangle somebody but it wouldn't be another passenger it would be a gate agent " certainly doesn't see like someone laughing.
Old Oct 23, 2015, 10:26 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
That doesn't seem to be what the OP is talking about though. Besides, all you have earned is A16-30 (which is still pretty good). If you want 1-15 you have to buy it, and I don't think this has changed recently.
It's the race for the few very extra legroom seats that's important, which is very obtainable at A16-A30, hence the annoyance of people buying up A1-A15 for $30-$40. And in I'm example above, she was hawking both BS fare upgrades, calling out by name AND general announcements that BS boarding positions were for sale. Like she got a fat commish on each one sold!
Old Oct 23, 2015, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by joshua362
It's the race for the few very extra legroom seats that's important, which is very obtainable at A16-A30, hence the annoyance of people buying up A1-A15 for $30-$40. And in I'm example above, she was hawking both BS fare upgrades, calling out by name AND general announcements that BS boarding positions were for sale. Like she got a fat commish on each one sold!
Do they get a commission? I read recently that Frontier gave a Jeep to an FA "for achieving record ancillary sales".
Old Oct 23, 2015, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
Do they get a commission? I read recently that Frontier gave a Jeep to an FA "for achieving record ancillary sales".
I think EmeraldSkies confirmed that they do not a while back.

But this one hawked it like she did!
Old Oct 23, 2015, 11:02 am

Programs: Southwest A+/CP, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
Might be but you could also be missing the point as well. Many people here have earned a priority boarding position through repeated patronage yet anyone can walk up and cut them for a fee...
Not much difference than Delta, etc. selling Comfort + seats for $39 ahead of the flight, which you are entitled to for free as a status holder x days from departure.
Old Oct 23, 2015, 11:06 am

Programs: WN, UA, DL, AA, Chase UR, Amex MR
After the initial rollout of this up selling program I haven't really heard it pushed too much. IMHO anyone who buys it who doesn't have C-something boarding card is simply proving that old adage about a fool and his money.

Oh well, it's easy to avoid and if enough suckers pay it maybe it will help subsidize the CP and no change fees which are the best WN perks.
Old Oct 23, 2015, 11:42 am

I think EmeraldSkies confirmed that they do not a while back.

But this one hawked it like she did!
Isn't she and FA? Maybe the GA's do get something. I'm sure GK tracks it and uses it for something.
Old Oct 23, 2015, 1:20 pm

Yes I believe she is a FA. I have to believe GA's aren't incentivized otherwise the pestering announcements would be relentless as they were when they first rolled out the offer.
Old Oct 24, 2015, 6:37 am

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass
Full boat this morning MCI-MCO-SJU although only 2 ticketed B/S pax.

G/A pushed the $40 buy-up really hard, like 4 times prior to the A group lining-up. No takers.

Yawn.
Old Oct 24, 2015, 11:13 am

Does paying for this upgrade at the gate bump your Rapid Rewards multiplier from the standard 6x to the 12x Business Select?
Old Oct 24, 2015, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by aaronp84
Not much difference than Delta, etc. selling Comfort + seats for $39 ahead of the flight, which you are entitled to for free as a status holder x days from departure.
Never heard DL hawk C+ sales. Pardon my skepticism.

Originally Posted by embuzen
Does paying for this upgrade at the gate bump your Rapid Rewards multiplier from the standard 6x to the 12x Business Select?
There'd be quite a run on them if that were true.
Old Oct 24, 2015, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
No, they don't get a commission.
Old Oct 24, 2015, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by embuzen
Nope. Just upgrades boarding position. Period.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.