Wiki Posts
Search

What is Priority Stand By for A-Listers

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2015, 8:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: SWA A-List Preferred, Hilton Diamond, ICH Platinum
What is Priority Stand By for A-Listers

Searched but cannot find explanation here or on WN's website.

I just made A-List and one benefit is Priority Stand By.

Can someone tell what this means? One of my few dislikes about Southwest is the inability to hop on an earlier flight with empty seats without paying more.

Does Priority Stand By mean this has changed?
Old Oct 8, 2015, 9:11 am

No. Unless you've bought an Anytime or BS ticket, it simply means that you are first in line to be able to pay more to fly standby. (Or, in IROPS, or because of a delay, not pay more but jump to the front of the standby line.)

EDIT: From the FAQ, it appears that maybe Priority Standby does not help in IROPS:

How does priority standby work for A-List and A-List Preferred Members?

When requesting standby travel, A-List and A-List Preferred Members will automatically be placed at the top of the standby traveler list. All qualifying A-List and A-List Preferred Members benefit from priority standby, with A-List Preferred Members placed at the top of the list, followed by A-List Members. Priority standby will only be provided for A-List and A-List Preferred Members. If an A-List or A-List Preferred Member is traveling on a multiple-passenger reservation, priority standby will not be provided for non-A-List or non-A-List Preferred Members in the same reservation. For A-List and A-List Preferred Members who are also Companion Pass Holders, priority standby will not be provided for the Members' designated Companion unless he or she is an A-List or A-List Preferred Member. Irregular operations may affect the Priority Standby benefit.

Last edited by ursine1; Oct 8, 2015 at 10:38 am
Old Oct 8, 2015, 1:42 pm

There are actually 7 or 8 standby priority categories and in IRROPS A-list and A-list+ are down around 4th or 5th place or so after those who have already been affected on a previous flight, those with connections, etc.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 12:55 pm

Sorry to revive an old thread, but anyone have a full, clear list of the hierarchy ?

Have googled and just can't find anywhere that makes it plain the way other airlines (AA, DL) do
Old Feb 22, 2018, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by ursine1
No. Unless you've bought an Anytime or BS ticket, it simply means that you are first in line to be able to pay more to fly standby. (Or, in IROPS, or because of a delay, not pay more but jump to the front of the standby line.)

EDIT: From the FAQ, it appears that maybe Priority Standby does not help in IROPS:
Aren't A-List now entitled to same day free stanbdby?
steved5480 likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
As I read the rules, A-Listers are entitled to free standby on earlier flights on the same day. My Mom is A-List and recently stood by for an earlier nonstop flight (she was booked on a much cheaper connection). She got the last seat on the nonstop free of charge.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 3:47 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
Yes, but the thread was originally started in October 2015.
Old Feb 22, 2018, 6:03 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Originally Posted by cardinalkid1891
but anyone have a full, clear list of the hierarchy ?
This is the actual current question on this thread, and the answer is no.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 1:59 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Originally Posted by cardinalkid1891
... but anyone have a full, clear list of the hierarchy ?
Originally Posted by lougord99
This is the actual current question on this thread, and the answer is no.
If you "positively, absolutely have to be there" you'd be surprised what a "Kick-Tail" can do ... "allegedly"
Old Feb 24, 2018, 6:06 am

Question, what has been peoples results, I have used the A List Standby numerous times, however it appears I lose my A list boarding pass on the original flight once placed on the standby list for the secondary flight, is this correct? I guess I could just have a paper boarding pass for my original flight and line up and just have 2 of whatever my boarding position is. Just wondering, thanks.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 7:02 am

I'm not clear what you are saying. You do not loose your boarding position on the original flight until you are cleared and receive a boarding pass for the new flight.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 7:47 am

When I have been placed on the standby list if you pull up my original flight it says "Check In" so I was assuming I lost my original a list boarding place, I have always cleared so just wondering what happens if I don't clear, hopefully my position is saved in the queue and not giving to someone checking in at t-2 hours etc.
Old Feb 24, 2018, 10:31 am

Again, your original boarding position on your original flight remains until you receive a boarding pass for your new flight. Your only issue comes if your new flight is cancelled or delayed after you receive a boarding pass to the new flight and you want to revert to your old flight. In fact, I'm pretty sure that you no longer have a reservation on your old flight and if it becomes sold out you are out of luck.
figment7 likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2018, 6:08 pm

Programs: WN A-list., Marriott Plat, National EX, UA Silver
Has anyone has success doing the priority standby? I tried calling SWA to be put on standby for an earlier flight but I was told that only the SWA agents at the airport could do this. So I have to drive down to the airport to see if I can have this done?
Old Mar 21, 2018, 6:10 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Yeah, SB has to be done at-airport, regardless of status.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.