Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Miles math help requested :)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23, 2015, 8:50 am
Original Poster

Miles math help requested :)

Hi all. I am trying to decide whether or not to use miles/cash for an upcoming family flight in which we need 3 tickets. My goal is to have the best value of my miles.

Flight cost:

outgoing $360 or 23,250 points + $25.71 fees.

incoming $248 or 11,200 points + $65.74 fees.

(360 - 25.71) / 23250 = .014
(248 - 65.74) / 11200 = .016

Is that correct? So I get more value from the $248 leg?

Last edited by jelliott04; Sep 23, 2015 at 8:56 am
Old Sep 23, 2015, 12:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Yes, cheaper legs get a better rate all-in (in general) than more expensive ones. This has been covered in depth here.

In any case, I would always burn points before paying cash, unless the trip is tax-deductible or I am getting reimbursed by someone.
Old Sep 23, 2015, 2:55 pm

Programs: BAEC G, WN A-, Hyatt G, HH G, MAR T, Hz PC, was [UA2P, FL A+Elite, BD G]
Originally Posted by toomanybooks
Yes, cheaper legs get a better rate all-in (in general) than more expensive ones. This has been covered in depth here.

In any case, I would always burn points before paying cash, unless the trip is tax-deductible or I am getting reimbursed by someone.
I will quibble slightly with toomanybooks' statement above in that if a points booking is at a rate worse than 70 pts per $ I might choose to use dollars and save points for when they have more value (depending in part on how many RR pts I have and expect to earn in the near future). I almost certainly would never spend points on a non-WGA fare.
Old Sep 23, 2015, 3:06 pm
Original Poster

We have about 150K points. It basically boils down to spending an additional $456.09 or using an additional 36,150 points.

What to do what to do!?!? LOL First world problems.

J
Old Sep 23, 2015, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HPN-HRL
I will quibble slightly with toomanybooks' statement above in that if a points booking is at a rate worse than 70 pts per $ I might choose to use dollars and save points for when they have more value (depending in part on how many RR pts I have and expect to earn in the near future). I almost certainly would never spend points on a non-WGA fare.
Yes, that makes sense unless you are pessimistic about the future value of WN points, as am I. Waiting for the next devaluation.

It has been a while but I concluded (and posted my analysis) that it is NEVER worth it to buy BS fares with WN points. Always turn them into WN gift cards at 1 cent each and buy BS, generating more points.

Originally Posted by jelliott04
We have about 150K points. It basically boils down to spending an additional $456.09 or using an additional 36,150 points.

What to do what to do!?!? LOL First world problems.

J
Looks like 1.26 cents each. I would likely keep points and and use cash unless you have tons of points or are expecting same in near future.

Would not hold that many points for 2 years, let's say. Cash also if you are trying for status this year and need more Tier points. Points if you are cash-poor. Points for a person who does not fly much if there is any chance of cancellation or refaring.

Often in a family, one person concentrates on cash purchases to build status and the others burn points.

Do not forget that with an Ink card from Chase you can buy WN gift cards at Staples/OfficeMax/Depot and get 5 UR points per dollar = 5 WN points. So that's around 7% "rebate" for buying tickets. I find UR points easy to generate.

Last edited by toomanybooks; Sep 23, 2015 at 6:12 pm
Old Sep 23, 2015, 6:10 pm
Original Poster

As it turns out, the outgoing flights are not unavailable across the board (not even Business Select avail) and my incoming flight went up $40.
Old Sep 23, 2015, 7:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, WN A+, Marriott LT
Wait, how do you turn WN points into WN gift cards? Can I really do that? Where?
Old Sep 26, 2015, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by palmetto86
Wait, how do you turn WN points into WN gift cards? Can I really do that? Where?
Go to Rapid Rewards link from WN website homepage and look for "More Rewards."

10000 points = $100 GC.
Old Sep 26, 2015, 6:59 pm

Programs: Bolt Bus Rewards
Originally Posted by toomanybooks
Go to Rapid Rewards link from WN website homepage and look for "More Rewards."

10000 points = $100 GC.
Thank you for that and for the strategy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.