Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Hotel bookings on SW.com - eligible rates / promos

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2015, 12:43 pm
Original Poster

I can't really figure out how Southwest hotel bookings actually work. Usually, I book directly through a hotel, and they allow me to 'choose miles' instead of points. With Southwest, that's 600 points per stay.. Southwest also appears to offer those 600pts plus additional points for booking an eligible rate through their site - but how does that work, exactly?

Does SW then give me all 750 points from them, or does it show up in the hotel system as a 'normal' stay, so the hotel gives me the 600pts and SW gives me the additional 150? If the latter, does that mean I can leave my hotel preferences set to 'hotel points' and earn those as my base earnings, and SW will still give me the bonus points?

If anyone has any experience with booking their hotel stays through SW, I'd appreciate any feedback.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 1:24 pm

Programs: Southwest, Best Western Gold, La Quinta, Dollar
I've wondered this myself.

Looking through points I earn at Hotels, I see 600 points each for each hotel stay, all accurately marked with the hotel name and date of checkout but there are also a whole lot of 150-point earnings which as best as I can tell were earned on the date the reservations were made. I can make a bunch of reservations all on the same day for a whole season's worth of travels, and all those 150s show up marked as the same day. Two things of note: often the extra 150 points doesn't show up for a very long time, and secondly, I think sometimes the 150 points show up even if I later cancelled the reservation.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Peoriaman1
I think sometimes the 150 points show up even if I later cancelled the reservation.
Don't nobody tell any of the bloggers.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 7:40 pm

Anyone registered and participating in the current bonus points for hotels stays booked through the WN website?
I have booked and stayed 3 times this month. The only points that have posted are the usual 600 partner points per stay. Not the extra 150 pts or the 1000, 1500, 2000.
I called WN CS and they are saying it is the hotels issue. Which doesn't make any sense to me.
I would like to know if anyone has had the bonus points post yet.
Old Sep 29, 2015, 9:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tanfox
Anyone registered and participating in the current bonus points for hotels stays booked through the WN website?
I have booked and stayed 3 times this month. The only points that have posted are the usual 600 partner points per stay. Not the extra 150 pts or the 1000, 1500, 2000.
I called WN CS and they are saying it is the hotels issue. Which doesn't make any sense to me.
I would like to know if anyone has had the bonus points post yet.
I haven't had any of my bonus points post either, but I'm not particularly worried yet as I've read that the 150 points take forever to post. I expect the 1k/1.5k/2k to post on roughly the same schedule, though the terms don't say what to expect. The assertion that your lack of bonus points has something to do with the hotel itself is crap, though. The promo isn't limited to partner hotels, so clearly these bonus points aren't supposed to be triggered by / associated with partner points. I'll definitely take a screenshot of the terms, though, in case SW decides to be difficult. I've booked almost all my fall stays through SW this past month, so I'd be all kinds of pissy if they didn't come through for me.

OOC, which chains have your September stays been with?
Old Sep 30, 2015, 10:41 am

Programs: SWA A-List Preferred, Hilton Diamond, ICH Platinum
I have not had my points or bonus post for last weeks stay. I did check the IHG website and my stay was listed as not eligible for points/credit so I will probably be done with booking hotels on LUV.

I'll keep earning my WN points the old fashioned way. BIS and RR Visa.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 12:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DLB404
I have not had my points or bonus post for last weeks stay. I did check the IHG website and my stay was listed as not eligible for points/credit so I will probably be done with booking hotels on LUV.

I'll keep earning my WN points the old fashioned way. BIS and RR Visa.
Unfortunately, IHG is not a SW partner, so the stay goes through as a third party stay for sure. I'm still not clear on which partners have rates that are eligible for stay credit, but IHG and Wyndham definitely don't. You should still be eligible for the 1150 bonus RR for the stay, though.
Old Oct 2, 2015, 7:10 am

9/2 Marriott
9/10 Best Western
9/18 Marriott

I also have a stay booked for BW this month and a Westin next month.
Not much luck with rental cars either.....still waiting for an August rental with Budget to post and an Alamo rental from 2 weeks ago. UGH.
Old Oct 4, 2015, 11:14 am

The stays that I have completed posted today. And to my surprise with all the proper amounts. (1150, 1650, 2150)
Old Oct 4, 2015, 1:31 pm
Original Poster

All of my September stays - including one on 29 Sep - posted today. This was a very nice unexpected bonus promo from SW this fall.
Old Oct 4, 2015, 4:22 pm
Original Poster

Oh, and in case anyone finds this thread and is looking for the answer I initially posed - I can confirm that Choice, Hyatt, Best Western, and Marriott postpaid rates via SW.com are considered eligible stays. I'd bet all the official partners work this way, but I didn't end up confirming SPG, LaQuinta, or Carlson. In some cases, my hotel loyalty number was not initially attached to the reservation, and I had to add it directly with the hotel.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 12:37 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pto, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
I had a 9/18 Choice stay post the 150 + 1000 bonus RR points in the past 2 days. The stay credit posted to Choice as points, need to update my earning preferences.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.