Community
Wiki Posts
Search

'Deplane': We need to offload fuel

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2015, 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by BerenErchamion
I don't know how far in advance they plan these things (there's someone on here who might, though that might also be information he's not allowed to share), but depending on when it is there's a lot that could change between then and when things actually get under way.
Turns out 157 was my flight on Friday, and the flight in question operated on Thusday.

As best as I can determine, the aircraft was inadvertantly over-fueled which made it overweight for the short flight. Although STL has some long runways, the flight's weight wasn't limited by takeoff, but limited by landing at the destination. Just about any airline flight less than 2-3 hours in duration is going to be landing weight limited.

When a last-minute overgross situation occurs, the usual solution is dependent on the how overweight the aircraft is. If it's not very much, a last-minute route change might be in order, like, say, STL to MDW via longer route via DSM. If the amount of overage is significant, the solution is to reduce the weight of aircraft, and that's usually accomplished by defueling.

There are certain regulations and procedures that must be followed when defueling operations take place, and whether or not passengers are permitted to be onboard are subject to a couple of variables. I don't know the exact extent of the overage on the flight involved, but the initial confusion was probably due to getting those variables nailed down into a firm decision.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by OPNLguy
There are certain regulations and procedures that must be followed when defueling operations take place, and whether or not passengers are permitted to be onboard are subject to a couple of variables. I don't know the exact extent of the overage on the flight involved, but the initial confusion was probably due to getting those variables nailed down into a firm decision.
Defueling at the gate without precautionary disembarkation appears common:

Flight Delayed Due to Too Much Fuel

Defueling Delay

Might need to make sure ground equipment isn't near the area of escape slide deployment.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by lougord99
They use paper boarding passes, but they give them back to you after scanning.
Won't SWA give your boarding pass back if you ask after scanning it? I thought they only collected them because it was faster during the boarding process and then threw them away when the flight closed.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by NextTrip
Won't SWA give your boarding pass back if you ask after scanning it? I thought they only collected them because it was faster during the boarding process and then threw them away when the flight closed.
Sure, they'll give it back to you if you ask. A1 is the only pass that they ask you to keep and hand to an FA when boarding so that they can identify the first general board pax. I've noticed this is occasionally changing lately due to the proliferation of electronic BPs...instead, several times the GA has kept the BP and asked me to tell the FA that I'm the first general board pax.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 4:41 pm

Programs: WN, UA, DL, AA, Chase UR, Amex MR
Originally Posted by NextTrip
Every time I see people complain about gate agents keeping your BP I just assume that it's a throwback to the days of the plastic boarding cards. Add that to the fact WN uses open seating and that you don't need your BP to double check your seat assignment on board means that generally speaking there's not really a reason to hand them back unless you specifically need it for your own book keeping. Even then it seems that every flight I'm on there's always one or two passengers looking for seat C27 (or whatever their boarding position was on their BP).

That said, last month when I flew to Mexico City they did detach and return the stub from the BP both in San Antonio-MEX and Mexico City-SAT. Even then it would seem to only be useful in filling out the immigration card to see the date and flight number.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 4:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Peoriaman1
What do the other airlines use?
Paper boarding passes just like WN.

But, the agent either scans it or you scan it yourself and retain it.

The paper BP no longer serves any accountability purpose and the count is kept electronically.

For what it's worth, I doubt that there are many people who would include their wallet in the term "carry on" and, to be frank, even if a wallet is included in the term, I can't imagine leaving it behind for 5 minutes or 5 hours.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 4:56 pm

Programs: Southwest, Best Western Gold, La Quinta, Dollar
Originally Posted by Often1
Paper boarding passes just like WN.

But, the agent either scans it or you scan it yourself and retain it.
LOL I'd forgotten we can retain them elsewhere.

For a moment there I was worried you had meant the other airlines had gone mobile devices only.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 5:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
I can't imagine leaving it behind for 5 minutes or 5 hours.
You wouldn't and I wouldn't, but obviously quite a few on this flight did.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 6:54 pm

Programs: Southwest, Best Western Gold, La Quinta, Dollar
Originally Posted by lougord99
You wouldn't and I wouldn't, but obviously quite a few on this flight did.
That would be me. I use a big Think Tank camera/roller bag and there's a slot in it that's perfect for my wallet. It goes in there as soon as I'm done with it at security. Probably not the smartest idea ever, but I hate sitting on it for the entire flight.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 8:05 pm
glg

For what it's worth, I doubt that there are many people who would include their wallet in the term "carry on" and, to be frank, even if a wallet is included in the term, I can't imagine leaving it behind for 5 minutes or 5 hours.
I usually put my wallet into my carryon when going through security, so it's zipped in my bag instead of sitting in one of the little bins or something. While I usually pull it out before boarding, I have forgotten on occasion and it's sat in my bag for the whole flight.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 8:16 pm

Needing to remove fuel is not unusual. Deplaning everyone to do so is.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 6:16 am

Originally Posted by ursine1
Needing to remove fuel is not unusual. Deplaning everyone to do so is.
I have been deplaned to remove fuel on AA
Old Aug 30, 2015, 6:30 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

On a micro hop like this, all it takes is a reroute for an aircraft expecting to depart and land to the west, now headed direct. If properly fueled for the original routing, would likely make the aircraft heavy on arrival.

It's far from unusual and the Captain's announcement seems to have said all that there is to be had.

Needless to say, the WN practice of collecting paper BP's makes this is a silly process later, but WN sticks to lots of silly practices which don't make much sense.
I'll ask again. When is the last time you flew WN? Ever?
Old Aug 30, 2015, 1:05 pm

Programs: none
Originally Posted by MrMan
I have been deplaned to remove fuel on AA
The three most useless things in aviation are:

Altitude above you
Runway behind you
Air in your fuel tanks

(Except that is possible to have TOO MUCH fuel for a given flight.)

Don't even try to read and understand every requirement, exception, clause, loophole, condition, etc. that apply to the procedures for adding/removing fuel for a commercial flight. The regulations take PAGES to describe.

Accept the fact that of all the possibilities (change the route, remove some cargo/baggage, remove some passengers, cancel the entire flight, etc.) the decision was to offload fuel. The fact that SW handled the outcome poorly is simply a self-inflicted wound. That probably goes into their "lessons learned" file.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by Allan38103
Don't even try to read and understand every requirement, exception, clause, loophole, condition, etc. that apply to the procedures for adding/removing fuel for a commercial flight. The regulations take PAGES to describe.
Precisely why I didn't, since some of the variables are which 737 variant is involved, which tank(s) the excess fuel is loaded in, and the amount of excess fuel in that tank (or tanks).

..and before someone asks, 737s can't dump excess fuel while airborne, since the 737 doesn't even have a fuel dump system installed, nor is it required to...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.