Adding lap infant to reservation

Old Aug 24, 15, 9:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage Plus GM, Marriott Rewards Platinum, Hertz
Question Adding lap infant to reservation

Hey Guys,

Wondering if you could assist me this morning. Going to be traveling for the first time with my Daughter since becoming a father a little over a month ago.

I booked a flight, but didn't' see where to add the fact that I'll be traveling with an in-lap infant. I called and added her to the reservation, but had some questions. I was told by the agent that the only way to add the infant to the reservation was to call and that I also had to add the infant rather then just show up at the airport and add her at that time.

1) Is there anyway to tell/confirm that the infant was added to the reservation correctly? (Online doesn't show any difference that I can tell)
2) Is the only way to add an infant to the reservation to call in?
3) What if for some reason the agent makes a mistake in adding the infant, is it possible to show up at the airport the day of and add the infant?

I'm of a mindset "trust, but verify". I don't want to leave things to chance/other people.

If all that I've been told is true, I have an enhancement that Southwest could make, and that is either showing the Infant on the reservation and/or the ability to add the infant online.

I have not flown Southwest very much so I really appreciate the assistance.

Charlie
Old Aug 24, 15, 9:43 am

Programs: Southwest A-List, AMC Stubs A-List, Chick-fil-A-List
You don't even have to call it in, just declare your lap child at the full service check in desk.

Remember to bring proof of age for the baby, like a birth certificate or passport.
Old Aug 24, 15, 9:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sigma1104 View Post
You don't even have to call it in, just declare your lap child at the full service check in desk.
Thank you!

So I was told incorrectly by an agent that I WILL NOT be able to show up at check-in with my infant and add them at that time?
Old Aug 24, 15, 12:13 pm

Yes, they were incorrect. We fly a few times a month with our lap child and occasionally forget to add her before the flight. When we forget we just get up to the check-in counter and they usually say "it looks like we need to add a lap-child to your reservation." Never any problems.
Old Aug 24, 15, 8:12 pm

Programs: WN CP & A-List Pref, HH Gold, Marriott LT PP

+1. Travelled 25+ times with our lap child over the past two years and never once called ahead. Always added her right at the airport. Curb check can also add a lap child for you in addition to the full serve check-in desk. Certified copy of the birth certificate is a must. Can't use the commemorative ones from the hospital. Happy travels!
Bakoury likes this.
Old Aug 25, 15, 10:01 am
Original Poster

Thank you everyone... very re-assuring!

Originally Posted by chuckworth View Post
Certified copy of the birth certificate is a must.
So... will a non-certified birth certificate work?

We have certified and non-certified birth certificates in Wisconsin. Certified copies have a raised seal, will show the signature of the State Registrar, and will be printed on security paper.

According to the Southwest Airlines website it says "a copy".

Thanks,

Charlie

Last edited by BilligCharlie; Aug 25, 15 at 10:03 am Reason: Forgot to thank everyone!
Old Aug 25, 15, 2:55 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, IHG Gold, HHonors Diamond, National Executive Elite

We have traveled 6 times with my new baby this year and no one yet (Southwest, United or Lufthansa) has asked to see a birth certificate yet but I always bring it with just in case. I've always just brought a copy and not an original...
Old Aug 25, 15, 3:14 pm

I just showed a scan of birth cert on my phone.. btw WN is the only airline doing this ridiculous check
Old Aug 26, 15, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by azepine00 View Post
I just showed a scan of birth cert on my phone.. btw WN is the only airline doing this ridiculous check
I've seen some suspiciously large lap children. I think they only check the big'uns
Old Aug 26, 15, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by Hite View Post
We have traveled 6 times with my new baby this year and no one yet (Southwest, United or Lufthansa) has asked to see a birth certificate yet but I always bring it with just in case. I've always just brought a copy and not an original...
Wow, 12 WN flights in the last year with our <1 year old and we've been asked for the birth certificate every time. That shows that it probably depends more on the station. We always bring a copy, not the original. Apparently they'll also take immunization records and I've seen them take a passport for another kid before too.
Old Sep 13, 19, 3:58 pm

I registered to this website just to say thank you ... i was searching this subject and u made my life easy .
Old Sep 28, 19, 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by chuckworth View Post
+1. Travelled 25+ times with our lap child over the past two years and never once called ahead. Always added her right at the airport. Curb check can also add a lap child for you in addition to the full serve check-in desk. Certified copy of the birth certificate is a must. Can't use the commemorative ones from the hospital. Happy travels!
Is it for all air companies? What about American airlines or Delta?
Old Sep 29, 19, 7:07 am

Programs: SWRR, HH, SM, TSA Pre
Originally Posted by Bakoury View Post
Theoretically you are required to have it for all travel. How often those companies ask for it, I have no idea. I know I always bring a non-certified copy of my kids' birth certificates anytime we travel. But I'm also paranoid like that.
Old Sep 29, 19, 8:24 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA, Hilton, Marriott, Priority Club
Originally Posted by Bakoury View Post
The upside of adding a lap child early on an airline with reserved seating is that they *may* block an empty middle seat next to you that will only get used if the plane is totally full. You can't count on it, but it worked out for us multiple times on both American and Delta.
Old Oct 1, 19, 10:44 am

I'm travelling with my baby to Hawaii in December. I went ahead and just called Southwest to let them know that I'll have a lap child. Probably can just do it at check in but I just wanted some peace of mind.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: