Wiki Posts
Search

Expired drink Coupon

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2015, 10:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PLT, 1MM,PC Plat,HH Diamond,SkyClub, member All programs
Expired drink Coupon

I do not spend a lot of time on this forum so I apologize if it has been addressed. I am using a pair of award tickets (never fly SW-got CC for miles) this February and received four drink coupons expiring 12/31/15. Wil the FA's accept? (I know to ask nice but wondering if anyone has experience-I am a Delta guy and in the past they took expired drink vouchers)
Old Aug 14, 2015, 10:42 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by BigFishDave
I do not spend a lot of time on this forum so I apologize if it has been addressed. I am using a pair of award tickets (never fly SW-got CC for miles) this February and received four drink coupons expiring 12/31/15. Wil the FA's accept? (I know to ask nice but wondering if anyone has experience-I am a Delta guy and in the past they took expired drink vouchers)
30-70 chance not in your favor, IMO.

But they haven't expired yet, give or barter them away!
Old Aug 14, 2015, 10:48 am

In my experience the FAs often don't look at them before putting them in their pocket. You can possibly trade them to some one for fresher ones.

But you still have 4 months to use them.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 10:58 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat / Hilton Gold / IHG Plat
Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
In my experience the FAs often don't look at them before putting them in their pocket. You can possibly trade them to some one for fresher ones.

But you still have 4 months to use them.
^^ Winner Winner Chicken Dinner....

I have had alot of luck with the FA's hooking it up.

When I upgrade myself to BS and the drink is only good on that flight, I will usually ask them on the return flight, " Hey I was suppose to use this on my flight out would you let me use it now"

Ive never had a FA tell me no, most of them are very cool about it.

Just dont act like a prick and usually things go your way
Old Aug 14, 2015, 11:17 am

The FAs collect the coupons but then throw them away at the end of the flight. No one else apparently ever looks at them.

I have a friend who is a Southwest FA and she tells me she sometimes "recycles" them.

Last edited by rsteinmetz70112; Aug 14, 2015 at 11:51 am
Old Aug 14, 2015, 11:25 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
All depends on the FA. If they accept it, you're set. If they don't, are you OK with them saying, "sorry but you're trying to pawn off an expired coupon on me!"

As other suggest, these are nice stocking stuffers for people you know headed out on a trip.
Old Aug 16, 2015, 12:42 pm

Programs: Southwest Companion Pass American Admirals Club Lifetime,IHG Rewards Spire,HHonors Gold
Tan ones

I still have a stash of tan ones that do not have a date on them and it still pisses me off they refuse to take these as they have open dates.
Bad PR but this is the new norm.
Old Aug 16, 2015, 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by sanFF
I still have a stash of tan ones that do not have a date on them and it still pisses me off they refuse to take these as they have open dates.
I've actually seen some FA's accept the old ones.
You could always try, if they rejected them try a current one. Just don't let them keep the old one, you might get an FA to take it later.

Last edited by rsteinmetz70112; Aug 17, 2015 at 9:48 am
Old Aug 16, 2015, 7:39 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
For the most part I always hear the FA's making the announcement about the cost of drinks and that they accept coupons with expiration dates, etc, etc.

Had a very good FA this past week who announced all of the above and when she got to the part about coupons with expiration dates she added "if you hand us an expired coupon, we'll gladly throw it away for you."

Same FA during boarding told someone in a bulkhead seat that all her bags had to go in the overhead. Apparently the passenger must have said she would like to keep one bag with her. The FA said "we have 137 other great seats that have plenty of space under the seat in front of them if you'd like one of those." Passenger put her bags in the overhead.

Both times she managed to say what she said without being snarky and making it sound like she was bending over backwards to help you.
Old Aug 16, 2015, 9:40 pm

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
Originally Posted by sanFF

That was the official end of the Herb era and the beginning of the beancounter era.
Old Aug 16, 2015, 9:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
The FAs collect the coupons but then throw them away at the end of the flight. No one else apparently ever looks at them.

I have a friend who is a Southwest FA and she tells me she sometimes "recycles" them.
I let a Southwest FA go in front of me in line once (she was obviously in a hurry) and she handed me about ten somewhat rumpled drink coupons...
Old Aug 17, 2015, 7:49 am

Programs: AAMastercard, ChaseSouthwest
Drink coupons

I had coupons but they never took them for my two drinks to LAS last year.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 5:32 pm

Programs: Frequent Flyer
Don't worry about pointing out the expiration date, most of us just stuff them in our pocket and carryon. There is no reconciliation between liquor used and coupons collected.
Old Aug 17, 2015, 5:46 pm

Programs: WN A-List, AA EXP, Hyatt Top Tier (definitely NOT a Globalist), National Exec Elite
Agreed, I think I am relatively heavy user, and I don't think an FA has even glanced at any of the coupons beyond the cursory confirmation that it is one of the new colorful (e.g. not tan) ones.

My guess is you can hand in expired ones with a 90%+ chance of success, if you have a supply of unexpired too you can claim ignorance and still save face
Old Aug 17, 2015, 6:03 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Diamond
I tried to use a couple on a MDW-LAS flight in mid-July that expired June 30. The pre-flight or pre-drink service announcement said they take credit, debit and non-expired drink coupons only. No go on using them, plus they "offered" to throw them away for me.

I had to politely (and semi-politely) refuse them to dispose of them. Obviously I was going to try to use them on another future flight!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.