SuperSized Fares For SuperBowl Week

Old Aug 2, 15, 10:59 pm
Original Poster

SuperSized Fares For SuperBowl Week

Wow--SW has really upped the fares for Super Bowl week in the Bay Area--Fares are up all week, but they really have a Super Bowl spectacular for flights leaving the bay area on the Monday after the big game. Only wanna getaway and BS available--and much higher than usual. A few choice examples:

SFO-LAX: $366
SJC-MDW: $692
OAK-BWI: $749
Old Aug 2, 15, 11:14 pm

Programs: WN 3 Million Miler, MR Lifetime Titanium, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, AA Silver, United never again
DAL-SFO - BS $605 return flight $710
DAL-OAK - BS $610 return flight $701
DAL-SJC - BS $636 return flight $726

Looks like GK must think that DAL will make it to the SB.

For our friends from NE:

BOS-SFO - BS $782 return flight $873

Looks like they have NE returning to the SB.
Old Aug 3, 15, 12:52 am

Has anyone checked all 30 NFL cities?

When the Saints were in the Superbowl I was able to grab refundable reward tickets to FLL late in the NFL season, Airtran even put on extra flights.
Old Aug 3, 15, 1:05 am

Programs: My opinions are my own and not that of my employer(s)
dupe post

Last edited by traveller001; Aug 3, 15 at 1:19 am Reason: dupe post
Old Aug 3, 15, 1:18 am

Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112 View Post
Has anyone checked all 30 NFL cities?

When the Saints were in the Superbowl I was able to grab refundable reward tickets to FLL late in the NFL season, Airtran even put on extra flights.
WN will also likely add flights from Cities that make the Superbowl.

But in reality Superbowls are a Kings game for those with big money booking well in advance. Hotel costs can exceed airfare by several times. It takes real blue collar diehards that want to bucket list a Superbowl to actually do it no matter who plays.

BTW Green Bay is locked out of Superbowl presence due to lack of adjacent hotel rooms..... NFL mingling for profit... Their sponsors don't want to travel 100 plus miles to the game. But the diehards will.

Indy 500 fills up nearly every room in and adjacent to the State of Indiana and people do it for the largest sporting event in the world.

But Superbowls IMO are about NFL/Network advertisers, their guests and then some that haven't been pushed to actually want to be there.

Last edited by traveller001; Aug 3, 15 at 1:25 am
Old Aug 3, 15, 1:31 am

Originally Posted by oswaldjacoby View Post
Wow--SW has really upped the fares for Super Bowl week in the Bay Area--Fares are up all week, but they really have a Super Bowl spectacular for flights leaving the bay area on the Monday after the big game. Only wanna getaway and BS available--and much higher than usual. A few choice examples:

SFO-LAX: $366
SJC-MDW: $692
OAK-BWI: $749
Have you ever witnessed the exodus after a Superbowl?

All those people filter in during the week prior and virtually all want to exit the day after.
Old Aug 3, 15, 1:48 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist Lite; United Club ex-Lifetime Member
Thanks for the explanation of this really weird pricing. I'm sure it will sort out eventually.
Old Aug 3, 15, 2:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
$1300-1400 R/T from MCI (nonstop to/from OAK).

But before anyone goes and thinks it's because Southwest's revenue management people are placing a big bet on Alex Smith's noodle arm, those are the rates from every city in the U.S.

JAX-OAK is the same, and we all know the Jacksonville-Tottenham Jaguars have no prayer of going to the Super Bowl.

I guess it makes sense: jack the rates up to insane levels until you know who's going to be playing. Some corporate fatcats will buy $1400 tickets just because, and once the teams are defined then the fans will flow through any number of connecting cities to get to the Bay Area. The MCI-OAK flight might be full of Chiefs fans...or it might be full of Bears fans connecting in Kansas City, because Jay Cutler is taking them to the promised land.
Old Aug 3, 15, 2:42 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
This shouldn't be a surprise. I bet a lot of carriers will be doing the same thing (if they haven't already).

Trust me, you do NOT want to be anywhere near a Bay Area airport on that Monday, especially SJC. I flew out of PHX Tuesday afternoon and it was somewhat better, but still way more crowded than mid-week in early February should be.

Originally Posted by nsx View Post
Thanks for the explanation of this really weird pricing. I'm sure it will sort out eventually.
It never did in PHX. I stupidly scheduled a meeting the Monday after the SB. I had to reschedule it for Wednesday once I started looking at fares.
Old Aug 5, 15, 10:00 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I flew *in* to TPA for a meeting on the Monday after they hosted a Super Bowl. Kind of funny, actually: a fairly quiet empty flight going in (guessing AA added extra flights), and then you deplane into the terminal that is absolutely heaving with far more people than you ever see there.

My meeting was in downtown Tampa, and by lunchtime there was a huge outdoor tent in the middle of downtown selling Super Bowl merchandise for 75% off. Actual licensed stuff, just excess from the weekend. Kind of a weird vibe being in hotels, restaurants, etc. that week...as if everybody had a long hangover...
Old Aug 5, 15, 11:11 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist Lite; United Club ex-Lifetime Member
I bought a Sunday flight in place of my usual Monday out of the SF Bay Area. I noticed that all the evening flights were absent from the schedule that week. Probably Southwest decided to park those planes and use them for extra flights Monday morning.

Getting into the Bay Area in the 5 days before the SuperBowl has crazy fares on Southwest, though not on all other airlines. I may book the other guys, or I might drive to and from Sacramento that week to get normal fares.
Old Aug 5, 15, 12:42 pm

It is typical for Southwest to charge more during certain events. For the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, BS and Anytime fare from the SF Bay Area cities (SJC, SFO and OAK) to Las Vegas is $50 more on 1/5 than other dates, and for the return it is $50 more on 1/9 than other dates. The show schedule is 1/6 - 1/9.
Old Aug 9, 15, 7:00 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, WN A+/CP, Hertz PC
I went to New Orleans when the Ravens were in the SB and of course flights from/to BWI were astronomical/sold out. So we went to Tampa a few days before and did TPA>MSY Sunday morning for ~$100. I found a $300 fare from MSY to BHM the next morning then a normally priced fare ($150 or so) back to BWI that night.

There are deals out there, you just have to dig and be patient.
Old Aug 9, 15, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by Marko123 View Post
I went to New Orleans when the Ravens were in the SB and of course flights from/to BWI were astronomical/sold out. So we went to Tampa a few days before and did TPA>MSY Sunday morning for ~$100. I found a $300 fare from MSY to BHM the next morning then a normally priced fare ($150 or so) back to BWI that night.

There are deals out there, you just have to dig and be patient.
I think there are fewer deals now than there used to be.
Old Aug 9, 15, 1:25 pm

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
I remember the "no fare over $99" days.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: