Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Southwest Now Wants New MCI Terminal

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2015, 3:11 pm
Original Poster

VP Ron Ricks had warned the city the MCI renovation plan would triple Southwest's operating costs. “That’s a problem,” he said, suggesting increased landing fees and ticket surcharges could force them to adjust operations. He argued expensive, new terminals — like those recently built in Sacramento and San Jose — raise Southwest's cost per passenger and put profitability at risk.

Now, 18 months later, the single terminal scheme is all good.

Guess it was a bluff.

KC Star

Kansas City should focus on planning for a single new terminal at Kansas City International Airport, airlines and the city’s aviation department said Tuesday.

After meeting for a year, the airlines and city officials said planning for renovating the existing terminals should be set aside.

A representative of Southwest Airlines also said that the group has determined it actually would be cheaper to build a single, large terminal than to renovate existing terminals.

That reverses the previous cost forecast.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 4:08 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Originally Posted by LegalTender
Guess it was a bluff.
To what end?
Old Jul 21, 2015, 4:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lougord99
To what end?
Fair point. No payoff, unless the terminal is coming in at a fraction of the 2013 estimate.

Otherwise, WNs claim of triple MCI operating costs was/is dubious.
Old Jul 21, 2015, 11:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward

Wow! What a waste! It's getting more expensive. Ouch time!
Old Jul 22, 2015, 5:57 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pto, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Southwest should embrace this. MDW is more or less at capacity and MCI is the best midwest alternative. Legacies should be able to be fully accommodated on the terminal gates leaving the outer concourse for SWA growth.
Old Jul 22, 2015, 6:03 pm

Programs: WN, UA, DL, AA, Chase UR, Amex MR
Originally Posted by Exiled in Express
Southwest should embrace this. MDW is more or less at capacity and MCI is the best midwest alternative. Legacies should be able to be fully accommodated on the terminal gates leaving the outer concourse for SWA growth.
STL already seems to be growing into the role of MDW Jr. In the past two years I've connected there about 6 or 7 times vs. 0 for MDW.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 2:29 pm

+ DAL expansion
Old Jul 24, 2015, 11:16 am

Programs: UA 1MM, WN A-List Pref, MR LT Plat, SPG LT Gold
Can't happen soon enough, IMO. The WN gate area in Terminal B is jam-packed all the time, and most weeks the B short-term parking area is at 100% capacity by mid-day Monday.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 3:55 pm

Programs: Starwood Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, Southwest Companion Pass
The 1960's design needs to go. This is an opportunity to build a facility that's designed to facilitate modern air travel, instead of clinging to an antiquated idea which hasn't been practical in decades.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 4:05 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
The design is obviously wrong in today's world, and I have no skin in the game ( other than potential higher fares when I fly into MCI, which is several times a year ) , but I sure wouldn't want to pay for a new terminal. The current design is not ideal, but it has been shoehorned into a usable terminal.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 4:37 pm

No surprise here if Mayor Sly finally gets his wish, after all the whining he did last year. Maybe he will want the new airport named after him, too.

Can you guess I am against this whole idea?

Yeah, terminal B is crowded at the gate area, but so are lots of other larger, "modern" airports. I seldom find two seats together at the gate area in LAS, for example. They are always packed there.

Parking did not become a issue until (1l terminal A was closed and airlines moved, and (2l MCI money grab by instituting valet parking at terminal B.

MCI is not a shopping and dining destination, and never will be, no matter how much the vendors want a new terminal built. I go to an airport to get on and off planes, period. Right now, it is a few minutes from deplaning to being at the outside curb.

Well, it's going to happen, no matter, but hopefully will not be living in Kansas City still when it all begins.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 8:33 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
Maybe they could build an airport that's in Kansas City as opposed to the current one which is pretty much in Iowa.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 7:16 am

Originally Posted by artiem
Can't happen soon enough, IMO. The WN gate area in Terminal B is jam-packed all the time, and most weeks the B short-term parking area is at 100% capacity by mid-day Monday.
That airport just has a terrible layout. It's packed like sardines and there are not enough bathrooms, so the passengers tend to queue up once boarded on the plane, sometimes 5-6 deep throughout boarding, which can cause a bit of delay. I mean you can't force people out when nature calls.

I concur, the city needs to shift funding from something else without pulling from the taxpayers. Not sure what that would be. I am not from KC, so I don't know if that's even a possibility, but I know there are other cities that are building sporting arena's, etc which seem unnecessary.
Old Aug 8, 2015, 9:03 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by IWannaGoWhereItsWarm.
That airport just has a terrible layout. It's packed like sardines and there are not enough bathrooms, so the passengers tend to queue up once boarded on the plane, sometimes 5-6 deep throughout boarding, which can cause a bit of delay. I mean you can't force people out when nature calls.
Yes ... but then ...
Originally Posted by IWannaGoWhereItsWarm.
I concur, the city needs to shift funding from something else without pulling from the taxpayers. Not sure what that would be. I am not from KC, so I don't know if that's even a possibility, but I know there are other cities that are building sporting arena's, etc which seem unnecessary.
You sound like you're from KC because you believe a new airport terminal would be paid for by 'local taxpayers', like a sports arena, which isn't even necessarily true (KC's Sprint Center is paid for in large part by rental car and hotel taxes, which certainly is borne to some extent by local taxpayers, but more so by visitors). Airport terminals are for the most part paid for by its users, i.e., airlines and passengers. Of course everyone is a 'taxpayer' to someone, but what is important is that the money used to build a new airport terminal can only be used to build a new airport terminal, it can't be used to fix streets, sewers, or schools.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.