FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards-501/)
-   -   JetBlue to drop its one free bag next week: Will Southwest charge for 2nd bag? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/southwest-airlines-rapid-rewards/1688593-jetblue-drop-its-one-free-bag-next-week-will-southwest-charge-2nd-bag.html)

nsx Jun 17, 2015 11:25 pm

JetBlue to drop its one free bag next week: Will Southwest charge for 2nd bag?

According to http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/jetbl...l#post24986757

JetBlue will charge for the first bag for tickets purchased starting some time next week. Incidentally, JetBlue's current second bag fee of $50 is almost as much as the $25+$35 that other majors charge for two bags.

This will leave quite a gap in baggage fees between Southwest and the other guys. Investors will pressure Southwest to add fees, just as they pressured JetBlue. I have no information either way, but I think the odds favor a second bag fee by the start of 2017.

Yellowjj Jun 17, 2015 11:45 pm

As the OP of that thread, I am only going on a what a family member has seen in regards to the signs they have posted in the airport. She became concerned as we do fly Jetblue often and wondered if I knew about these new fees. She also spoke with one of the managers coming to clear a flight and the second baggage fee will be changing also; I assume to align with the other US carriers. I can't confirm if all of this is indeed true, although I suspect it is.

bgriz18 Jun 18, 2015 7:09 am

While I rarely actually ever check a bag, it is still nice that WN allows free bags.

What I would be curious is what % of people flying WN actually bring 2 checked bags. 2 checked bags seems excessive to me especially considering that there network is all domestic or near international destinations. I don't think the % would be very high so the added revenue would be minuscule but I don't think there would be any public backlash for charging for the 2nd bag if the 1st is free.

LegalTender Jun 18, 2015 7:30 am

Originally Posted by nsx (Post 24988855)
JetBlue will charge for the first bag for tickets purchased starting some time next week. Incidentally, JetBlue's current second bag fee of $50 is almost as much as the $25+$35 that other majors charge for two bags.

Reportedly only for bags checked by customers buying its cheapest tickets. Somewhat offset by launch of free Amazon Prime satellite-powered onboard Internet service with speeds of 12-20 megabits per second.

nsx Jun 18, 2015 7:45 am

Originally Posted by LegalTender (Post 24990035)
Reportedly only for bags checked by customers buying its cheapest tickets.

That's interesting. Over the years Southwest has repeatedly done opinion surveys on a change in which the lowest fares would incur change fees. This contingent bag fee is a similar concept.

rtalk25 Jun 18, 2015 8:40 am

Originally Posted by bgriz18 (Post 24989984)
While I rarely actually ever check a bag, it is still nice that WN allows free bags.

What I would be curious is what % of people flying WN actually bring 2 checked bags. 2 checked bags seems excessive to me especially considering that there network is all domestic or near international destinations. I don't think the % would be very high so the added revenue would be minuscule but I don't think there would be any public backlash for charging for the 2nd bag if the 1st is free.

I agree that for most domestic trips, two checked bags is excessive.

But the 2 checked bags are great for people that are actually moving from one city to another. e.g. A college student that moves from New York to Chicago, taking belongings from one home to another home, over 3 r/ts can move quite a bit of belongings with Southwest.

bgriz18 Jun 18, 2015 9:02 am

Originally Posted by rtalk25 (Post 24990418)

But the 2 checked bags are great for people that are actually moving from one city to another. e.g. A college student that moves from New York to Chicago, taking belongings from one home to another home, over 3 r/ts can move quite a bit of belongings with Southwest.

Yes that is great for that but how many people do that is the question. For example if only 5% of passengers check 2 bags and they reduce it to 1 free bag. Would that 5% fork over the fee for the 2nd bag? Or could they live with just 1 checked bag.

Another factor is with WN's current model it is important to board fast so that is where the free checked bags really help them by reducing the boarding time. If they add fees for a 2nd bag would that cause more people to carry on and potentially reduce the speed of the boarding process? It probably would but depends on the degree. I am sure WN has ran the numbers to see what the best option is for them and stockholders

FCfree Jun 18, 2015 10:09 am

If the revenue in minimal and there is a potential to slow down the boarding process, then why mess with it? I don't often check a second bag, but when I do, its nice to have it for free. OTOH, I do know people that can't travel with less than 2 checked. Why create a situation where they start comparing SWA to other airlines.

However ... if SWA would like to charge for the 2nd bag and then reduce the ticket price by half of the 2nd bag fee ... hmmmm ... I might go for that (since I rarely check a 2nd bag).

rtalk25 Jun 18, 2015 2:22 pm

From a marketing point, something about "bag flies free" doesn't sound as good as "bags fly free."

Unless Southwest keeps it's current "bags fly free" but states in the fine print that it's only free for one checked bag and one carry on.

ursine1 Jun 18, 2015 2:46 pm

Bags Fly Free is a huge part of Southwest's brand. Despite the many changes they've made, I'd be shocked if they start charging for bags. Look for them to find additional ancillary revenue elsewhere.

LegalTender Jun 18, 2015 3:00 pm

Bags or butts. They're close to the max monetizing boarding order, so other ancillary revenue options aren't readily apparent.

lougord99 Jun 18, 2015 3:19 pm

I know I am a very small minority, but I almost always check 2 bags when I am flying for business. Change fees would probably still prevail for me, but charging for my second bag would certainly make it easier to jump to AA.

BerenErchamion Jun 18, 2015 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by bgriz18 (Post 24989984)

What I would be curious is what % of people flying WN actually bring 2 checked bags.

Count me among those who do.

I fly several times a year to visit family, attend conferences, etc. (I'm a graduate student). One bag is my clothing, for trips up to two weeks in length. The second is full of books that I either plan on reading (like I said, graduate student...) or need to have available for the work I hope to try and get done while I'm away from home. This one is probably small enough to be a carry-on, but why bother (especially with what nine or ten books can weigh) with lugging it aboard the plane and dealing with the struggle for bin space when I'm going to have to wait at baggage claim for my first bag anyway?

That said, I'm probably a minority.

Miami305 Jun 18, 2015 4:20 pm

Originally Posted by rtalk25 (Post 24992342)
From a marketing point, something about "bag flies free" doesn't sound as good as "bags fly free."

Unless Southwest keeps it's current "bags fly free" but states in the fine print that it's only free for one checked bag and one carry on.

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Don't give them ideas...

Wise-Broccoli8301 Jun 23, 2015 4:33 pm

True, but it's a limited case.

Just like my use is probably limited but since I'm allowed 2 bags internationally, I travel and bring back a boat ton of stuff from Asia. Having 2 free checked bags on Southwest makes it so I can fly into LAX and then fly home to SJC easily.