Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase crackdown on churners: Please report your RR Visa approvals/denials here

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chase crackdown on churners: Please report your RR Visa approvals/denials here

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2015, 12:00 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Exclamation Chase crackdown on churners: Please report your RR Visa approvals/denials here

As reported in the Wiki and recent posts in this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/chase...solidated.html
Chase Bank recently began denying applications that would have been approved prior to May 2015. The denial criterion is reported to be more than 5 credit card applications, from not just Chase but all banks, over the past 24 months.

For our purposes here, the interesting aspect is that Chase may be looser with approvals of affiliate cards like United or Hyatt or Southwest. At this point it's clear that approval of Sapphire and Freedom cards has become very difficult. Reconsideration phone calls are now rarely successful no matter how many times you try, and you might even be forced to close some existing accounts if you call. I now recommend NOT calling in about ANY Chase application, win or lose.

If you have applied for any Rapid Rewards Visa since mid-May, please report your results here, including:
1. Type of card (Plus or Premier, personal or business)
2. Number of cards you have applied for in the past 24 months, and
3. Your approval/denial result, instant approval, delayed approval without a phone call, approval after you called, denial with no phone call attempted, or denied after you called.

Feel free to add any description of your prior success rate, credit rating, or other information which would help us calibrate your report.

Last edited by nsx; Jun 27, 2015 at 4:19 pm Reason: Added request for type of approval or denial
Old Jun 16, 2015, 7:07 am

SW personal - plus
Approved 3 week of may.

I had this card until 6 months ago and cancelled, but got the bonus over 4 years ago. I had to move some credit around my various chase cards but it was fine.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 9:51 am

Programs: UA GOLD MM,WN CP A+list, HH Gold,MR LT Titanium
Wife's application-employment status "retired"

Personal Premier
This was application #6 within 24 months
Approved

Additional data

The month prior to the Southwest app, mortgage was refinanced.

New Citi card approved also,after the Chase approval.

Initial response to the online app,was pending,but we never call in,but simply wait and eventually all apps have been approved
Old Jun 16, 2015, 11:46 am

I am guessing this is a temp move by Chase to see how much it impacts their bottom line. They only recently loosened the rules for getting sign up bonuses again.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 6:18 pm
Suspended

Would a business application count? Or is the 5 card rule just personal cards?
Old Jun 16, 2015, 7:41 pm
nsx
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by BillyBaloney
Would a business application count? Or is the 5 card rule just personal cards?
That's unknown.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 12:35 am

SW Premier Personal
16 CC apps in 2 years prior to this one
Approved 6/18

I'm not sure how Chase can know how many cards you applied for in the last two years. They only pull one bureau so at most they'll know how many hard pulls you had from that bureau, though even then hard pulls do not necessarily mean credit card apps. Now if they are counting how many new credit card accounts you opened in 2 years that's another story...
Old Jun 19, 2015, 12:56 am

I have no data to add as I'm only reading this thread because I'm considering applying for this card, but I thought the issue with Chase cards was credit cards opened, not credit cards applied for. Is that wrong?
Old Jun 19, 2015, 7:46 am

Programs: UA GOLD MM,WN CP A+list, HH Gold,MR LT Titanium
Originally Posted by dangw20
SW Premier Personal
16 CC apps in 2 years prior to this one
Approved 6/18

I'm not sure how Chase can know how many cards you applied for in the last two years. They only pull one bureau so at most they'll know how many hard pulls you had from that bureau, though even then hard pulls do not necessarily mean credit card apps. Now if they are counting how many new credit card accounts you opened in 2 years that's another story...
Not necessarily accurate for everyone. Last month they pulled EQ and EX on my wife's app for the WN Visa
Old Jun 19, 2015, 10:48 am

Location: SFO, SJC, OAK, LVK AA Lifetime Plat 2MM, LUV A-List, Hyatt Gold, SPG Lifetime Gold, Commercial Pilot (not employed by airlines)
Originally Posted by olouie
I am guessing this is a temp move by Chase to see how much it impacts their bottom line. They only recently loosened the rules for getting sign up bonuses again.
Is there a discussion of the new "loosened" rules anywhere? With my daughters starting at UCSD in the fall I'd like to rebuild my WN bank--and I already got a WN card a year or two ago.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 11:34 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Marriott Gold
From my understanding, their new 5 card rule shouldn't impact RR card approvals should it? This is only for Ultimate Reward/Chase branded credit cards.

WN and other airlines/hotels have deals in place with Chase to be partners. If Chase were to stop a WN customer from getting "their" card because they had other cards open it would cause fits and the Chase/airline relationship would be severely damaged. I think we're safe with RR card churning.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 11:55 am

Location: SFO, SJC, OAK, LVK AA Lifetime Plat 2MM, LUV A-List, Hyatt Gold, SPG Lifetime Gold, Commercial Pilot (not employed by airlines)
Originally Posted by finloopio
I think we're safe with RR card churning.
Hi finloopio (or anyone else who knows) How long do you suggest waiting between churn instances?
Old Jun 19, 2015, 12:22 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by pushback
Hi finloopio (or anyone else who knows) How long do you suggest waiting between churn instances?
Always be smart. If you want to be approved for a chase RR card leave chase apps alone for 6+ months. then hit them up. Split up business/personal and spread those out at least a month when making a CP play. Status quo on this I would guess. But I don't have inside knowledge. All I'm thinking is that Chase does not want to piss off their valuable partners, and denying a ton of WN customer's their branded credit card would do exactly that.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 1:10 pm
nsx
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

From my understanding, their new 5 card rule shouldn't impact RR card approvals should it? This is only for Ultimate Reward/Chase branded credit cards.
Probably, but nobody knows for sure. If Chase started turning down RR Visa applications right and left, they'd have some 'splainin' to do to Southwest.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 1:48 pm

Always be smart. If you want to be approved for a chase RR card leave chase apps alone for 6+ months. then hit them up. Split up business/personal and spread those out at least a month when making a CP play. Status quo on this I would guess. But I don't have inside knowledge. All I'm thinking is that Chase does not want to piss off their valuable partners, and denying a ton of WN customer's their branded credit card would do exactly that.
Thanks for that. As far as the CP play goes, I've read a bunch in here but I want to make sure I get it right. So if I go and get a personal 50K card and a business 50K as you described above, and then fly enough to add on another 10K CPQP that should qualify for the CP? Seems too good to be true!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.