Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase crackdown on churners: Please report your RR Visa approvals/denials here

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Chase crackdown on churners: Please report your RR Visa approvals/denials here

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2017, 10:30 am

Programs: 747 Upper Deck QF J LAX-BNE; A380 SQ SuiteC+D SYD-SIN & SIN-HKG; 777 CX F HKG-JFK; Park Hyatt Sydney
Originally Posted by UsualNoise
Received my first EVER denial of a credit card application this week - it was for a Southwest Platinum in my effort to get the companion pass this year (already got the Plus a month ago). I wish I had known about the 5/24 ahead of time, the reason was listed as:

Too many credit cards opened in the last two years associated with you.

I checked my records and have only opened 3 in my name in the last 2 years. Apparently just being an authorized user counts, though, because in trying to establish my wife's credit she's opened 5-6 and I've been an authorized user on them.

I called in and tried to explain this to an agent, but there was no flexibility; didn't apparently care that only 3 were my responsibility. Suffice it to say that I'm extremely disappointed that I won't be able to go for the companion pass - and wasted the bonus on the Plus card so I'll have to wait another 2 years to try that one again.

I did voice my displeasure with Chase but I know it doesn't matter. I guess all I can do is switch to a new credit card company and close my existing accounts, which I'll be doing as soon as the 50K bonus posts. By the way, my TransUnion and Equifax scores are both over 800.
You should definitely call at least three more times as necessary. AUs will be removed from the equation by most CSRs.
Old Feb 5, 2017, 6:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Received my first EVER denial of a credit card application this week - ... I wish I had known about the 5/24 ahead of time,
... otherwise known as the "anti-churn" rule.

I did voice my displeasure with Chase but I know it doesn't matter. I guess all I can do is switch to a new credit card company and close my existing accounts
You may think that you're really showing them who's boss by doing this, but I suspect that they'll be glad to see you go. Someone that churns at that rate is likely to be a not very profitable customer. Even if you kept your churn with Chase below their acceptable limit, it's likely that you'll churn with other banks, and thus move spend that most new cardholders might keep on their new Chase card over to the new bank's card in order to meet their bonus requirements.

By the way, my TransUnion and Equifax scores are both over 800.
I'm not sure what that has to do with churning and profitability. At an 800, you have essentially zero risk of non-repayment. That still doesn't mean they make money off of you, if most of your spend is used to meet bonus requirements before you move on.

Last edited by Steve M; Feb 5, 2017 at 7:51 pm Reason: Fixed formatting error
Old Feb 27, 2017, 12:16 pm

Received my first EVER denial of a credit card application this week ...

I checked my records and have only opened 3 in my name in the last 2 years. Apparently just being an authorized user counts.
To update, I've gone through the process of removing myself as authorized user from 3 of my wife's accounts. I then requested Chase remove them from my credit report, which is in process.

My question - how much time should I allow before reapplying for the Platinum Southwest card? I will be under the 5/24 limit once the credit reports update, but don't want to be denied for applying too quickly after my last application. Any suggestions about when I should try again?
KevSki likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 5:47 pm

Final update (probably). After having my accounts removed from my credit report I reapplied for a Chase Premier Southwest card roughly 2 months after having been previously denied for the 5/24 rule. I'm happy to report I was approved this time and am once again on track for a companion pass by the end of April. From now on I'll be much more careful about adding myself or my wife as an authorized user.
Old Feb 23, 2018, 11:19 am

Programs: status free since 2017
Any recent datapoints with personal VISA RR invitation codes for folks over 5/24?
Old Feb 26, 2018, 11:47 am

I got denied in January. 2017 because of 5/24 and waited until January of this year. Got approved for both plus and premier ofJanuary this year and working towards companion pass.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.