Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Chase crackdown on churners: Please report your RR Visa approvals/denials here

Chase crackdown on churners: Please report your RR Visa approvals/denials here

Old Jul 17, 2015, 1:15 pm

I applied and got approved for both a personal and biz(60k) Rapid reward in the past month.

Biz approved on 6/25/15 - 32k CL - Required sending in proof of address due to moving
Personal Approved on 7/1/15 - 20k CL - Required calling in to verify info.

Cards in last 25 months ~ 8
Old Jul 17, 2015, 8:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA, HH, UA, Marriott, SW, Club Carlson, IHG
I'd like to chime in and say that I get annoyed every time I see this thread and its title. The "crackdown" was never said to have any effect on the SW cards. Can't you just move all this back to the regular SW thread?

Apologies for bumping this thread to a recently posted one again.
Old Jul 19, 2015, 5:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyernick
I'd like to chime in and say that I get annoyed every time I see this thread and its title. The "crackdown" was never said to have any effect on the SW cards. Can't you just move all this back to the regular SW thread?

Apologies for bumping this thread to a recently posted one again.
To be fair: The "crackdown" was never announced officially with published T&Cs. I'ts been figured out only through datapoints (ie, "crowd sourcing"). It took a while to figure out through datapoints what it and didn't affect. I think this thread may predate it being figured out that partner cards aren't affected, and that only Chase Ultimate Rewards earning cards (and not even clear if business versions) are affected.

(Post 1 of this thread was updated two weeks after the thread was started, so while post 1 now mentions this to some degree, I'm not sure whether it mentioned it when the thread was started.)
Old Jul 19, 2015, 5:55 pm

If I have 5 businesses with separate tax ID numbers, can I apply for 5 business cards and link them to the same WN account?
Old Jul 27, 2015, 8:32 am

Reporting in my recent success:

Type: Premier Personal (7.5k)
Cards Applied in 24 months: 0
Approval Staus: Approved after calling in and completing security verification.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by BigFatConductor
If I have 5 businesses with separate tax ID numbers, can I apply for 5 business cards and link them to the same WN account?
Yes you can...but you won't get 5 bonuses. Your name and SSN are still both being used on the accounts and you'll get a notice that you've already received the "premium bonus" "within the past two years." In June I applied for and received 2 SW Business cards. Both funnel the spend points into the same RR account. I received the 50k bonus for one but I received a notice that I wasn't getting the bonus for the other.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 11:56 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist
1. SW Premier personal
2. 10
3. Pending - Denied after calling
Old Aug 29, 2015, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by shindou2006
1. SW Premier personal
2. 10
3. Pending - Denied after calling
But what was the reason given for your denial? Chase has many reasons for denying people, many of which have nothing to do with how many cards you applied for in the past 24 months.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 12:15 am

Originally Posted by sdsearch
But what was the reason given for your denial? Chase has many reasons for denying people, many of which have nothing to do with how many cards you applied for in the past 24 months.
Reason given was too many cards opened recently (including and not including Chase cards) - rep specifically mentioned timeframe of past 2 years. Total credit was maxed out but would not entertain credit line rebalance or closing of another card. Had no problems in the past by doing simple credit line rebalance; credit score should be in mid 700s.

Last edited by shindou2006; Sep 1, 2015 at 12:21 am
Old Sep 1, 2015, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by shindou2006
Reason given was too many cards opened recently (including and not including Chase cards) - rep specifically mentioned timeframe of past 2 years. Total credit was maxed out but would not entertain credit line rebalance or closing of another card. Had no problems in the past by doing simple credit line rebalance; credit score should be in mid 700s.
Please report back when you get your denial letter. It may spell out denial reasons differently. It sounds like you had multiple reasons to be denied, and it's not clear that you would have been denied had 5/24 been the only reason. (When agents find one reason for a denial, they may start looking for others, and then name them even though they weren't the primary reason, just because they're easier to explain.)

You shouldn't apply for anything when you're maxed out at that bank. Some time in advance, you should lower your credit limit on existing cards to something reasonable (just remember to not lower too much so that you get above 30% utilization on any one card).

How many Chase cards and how many non-Chase cards did you open in the last 24 months? (While there are plenty of reports of non-partner cards being denied for 5/24 even with few or no Chase cards opened in the last 24 months, just at other banks, the only other datapoint we seem to have in the Chase forum for a partner card being denied for 5/24 is someone who had opened 6 Chase cards in that time. So even if you were really denied for "too many in 24 months", it's not clear whether it was the new 5/24 policy or separate "too many Chase cards opened recently and now maxed out" policy.

Last edited by sdsearch; Sep 1, 2015 at 4:21 pm
Old Sep 5, 2015, 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Please report back when you get your denial letter. It may spell out denial reasons differently. It sounds like you had multiple reasons to be denied, and it's not clear that you would have been denied had 5/24 been the only reason. (When agents find one reason for a denial, they may start looking for others, and then name them even though they weren't the primary reason, just because they're easier to explain.)

You shouldn't apply for anything when you're maxed out at that bank. Some time in advance, you should lower your credit limit on existing cards to something reasonable (just remember to not lower too much so that you get above 30% utilization on any one card).

How many Chase cards and how many non-Chase cards did you open in the last 24 months? (While there are plenty of reports of non-partner cards being denied for 5/24 even with few or no Chase cards opened in the last 24 months, just at other banks, the only other datapoint we seem to have in the Chase forum for a partner card being denied for 5/24 is someone who had opened 6 Chase cards in that time. So even if you were really denied for "too many in 24 months", it's not clear whether it was the new 5/24 policy or separate "too many Chase cards opened recently and now maxed out" policy.
Reasons listed:
- Too many accounts opened recently
- Length of time accounts established
- Max credit already offered
- Too many active accounts/available credit

I've never had problems even at max limit with the bank by shifting credit lines but guess this is no longer the case. Got 8 non-Chase, 2 Chase.
Old Sep 25, 2015, 6:17 pm

Programs: AA, SWA, most hotel programs
My husband got the Chase SWA Permiere card in April. I posted in June that my husband got denied a Chase SWA Rapid Rewards business card. By calling reconsideration he was told his business earnings weren't high enough and when he asked if he could try for the Personal Plus card using household income Chase said they weren't sure he could financial handle the card (we have many credit cards, no late payments, pay in full each money).

Yesterday he tried a referral from a FT member for the 50k bonus on the Premiere card and he got approved over the phone and the card is on its way! Yahoo!! Here comes the companion pass!
Old Jan 6, 2016, 4:49 pm
Suspended

1. SW Premier (individual) approved in Nov 2015
2. 2 (two other chase cards -- SWA Plus and one other), but I canceled a Citi Card (AA)
3. Instant approval via online application

I was approved for a very high credit limit of $30k -- that's high for me.

Am I better off (for future credit card application considerations) asking that the credit limit be reduced to something more reasonable like $15k ?

-John
Old Jan 6, 2016, 8:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JohnOkla
I was approved for a very high credit limit of $30k -- that's high for me.

Am I better off (for future credit card application considerations) asking that the credit limit be reduced to something more reasonable like $15k ?
Welcome to FlyerTalk, JohnOkla.

For future credit card application consideration at Chase, yes, you would be better off asking for the credit limit to be reduced to no more than you think you need, but factoring in that for best credit score you want to keep the monthly reported credit used to less than 30% of your credit limit on each card.
Old Feb 4, 2017, 11:44 am

Received my first EVER denial of a credit card application this week - it was for a Southwest Platinum in my effort to get the companion pass this year (already got the Plus a month ago). I wish I had known about the 5/24 ahead of time, the reason was listed as:

Too many credit cards opened in the last two years associated with you.

I checked my records and have only opened 3 in my name in the last 2 years. Apparently just being an authorized user counts, though, because in trying to establish my wife's credit she's opened 5-6 and I've been an authorized user on them.

I called in and tried to explain this to an agent, but there was no flexibility; didn't apparently care that only 3 were my responsibility. Suffice it to say that I'm extremely disappointed that I won't be able to go for the companion pass - and wasted the bonus on the Plus card so I'll have to wait another 2 years to try that one again.

I did voice my displeasure with Chase but I know it doesn't matter. I guess all I can do is switch to a new credit card company and close my existing accounts, which I'll be doing as soon as the 50K bonus posts. By the way, my TransUnion and Equifax scores are both over 800.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.