Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Nationwide sale $49/99/129/149 book by Fri 6/5; Epic website meltdown, mostly fixed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Nationwide sale $49/99/129/149 book by Fri 6/5; Epic website meltdown, mostly fixed

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2015, 3:05 pm

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
Flight status not working now. I hope there is not chaos at LAX when we arrive for our flight this evening.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by nineworldseries
Interesting, I flew MSY-ATL for $49 last month
On Southwest?

The last sale for $49 I saw was in February. I'm not sure what dates it covered but it was at least until May 19th, my last reservation.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by Poker2012chu
WN knows they have an IT problem, and they have yet to correct it. How a company in 2015 can have their website's critical functions freeze up for 5+ hours on a weekday is beyond me.
I don't think they think they have a problem.

I was told that the problems were related to Airtran (the all purpose excuse for 4 years) but they apparently haven't gone away now that Airtran no longer exists. I imagine problems will now be blamed on their new system.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by Poker2012chu
WN knows they have an IT problem, and they have yet to correct it. How a company in 2015 can have their website's critical functions freeze up for 5+ hours on a weekday is beyond me.
I think WN made the decision long ago not to spend any more money on the current website/booking system and went all in on the new Amadeus system. The questions I have are:

1. How long should it take and how long did they plan on the transition process? It's been going on for at least a couple of years. Not sure who gets the blame here.

2. What decision process is there when announcing sales like this knowing that the extra website traffic is going to trash the reservations system as well as lock people out from checking in, accessing, their account, etc? Surely the CIO/VP of Systems knows this is going to happen and gets overruled by the marketing department.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 3:19 pm

Now WN is being swamped on twitter...but, they keep responding with replies such as:

We are aware of the issues we’re experiencing. We’ll have it up and running again ASAP.
https://twitter.com/SouthwestAir/with_replies
Old Jun 3, 2015, 3:23 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by mke9499
Now WN is being swamped on twitter...but, they keep responding with replies such as:

https://twitter.com/SouthwestAir/with_replies
Still blows my mind that they'll invest in social media bullsh*t (listening center) but not their internet & phone infrastructure that EVERYONE needs to accomplish ANYTHING on Southwest...
Old Jun 3, 2015, 3:39 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, HH Silver
Wow, they either have a team of people responding to Twitter messages, or one poor employee's fingers are bleeding trying to respond to the onslaught. Geez.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 3:47 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by Yellowjj
I have a feeling they may extend the sale, due to the IT issues their having.
I can't recall their having done so before.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 4:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
In honor of the technical capabilities and maturity of Southwest's website, they really should have a sale where they reset the entire network to 1997 fares.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by nsx
Correct.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 4:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
The sale hit yahoo.com (who writes none of their own material anymore, and just copied from a Huffington Post article in order to generate more clicks). Right about this time, the southwest web site started crashing.

Huffington post describes this as an "epic three-day flash sale" with "a few blackout dates", and ends with "oh how sweet air travel can be". http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/0...usaolp00000592

We were a bit more down to earth on flyertalk.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by nsx
Wasn't there a sale a few years ago where they had to apologize and offer it again due to the website crashing?
Old Jun 3, 2015, 4:58 pm

Programs: Southwest Companion Pass American Admirals Club Lifetime,IHG Rewards Spire,HHonors Gold
Meltdown

Looks like the web has bombed due to heavy traffic. I agree they need to spend money where it needs to go to serve their customers. Good thing I booked my SAN-SFO early this morning . I had no problems.
The $49 sale must be pretty hot although I am more excited about my
flight from LAS to BWI for $59 later this month
Old Jun 3, 2015, 5:44 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum; Marriott Platinum
7:42 eastern. Still down. I haven't been able to do my daily check of 8 itineraries to see if I can lower the redemption cost of any rewards travel. It's a bit OCD but not sure I will be able to sleep tonight.
Old Jun 3, 2015, 5:55 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP; Hawaiian Miles; WN Rapid Rewards A list
I think part of the problem is that Southwest has been so skimpy with fare sales this year that everyone expected the annual big one to come along in early June and waited to buy their Fall tickets.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.