Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pre-Boarders in Exit Rows

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2015, 1:39 pm
Original Poster

Pre-Boarders in Exit Rows

Since this is the second time in a month in which I have observed pre-boarders sit down in exit row seats, I'm wondering if this is a WN issue only.

On the most recent flight where this occurred, I boarded with A 1, and watched the pre- board couple ahead of me on the jetway board the plane and plonk in the exit row, one of then in the "infinite legroom" seat. I took the opposite side of that row. The two guys behind me, that held A 2 and 3 were miffed.
Mr A 2 queried the FA standing a few rows back why the couple could take "their" seats. The FA stated it was "open seating. ".
Persistent, Mr A 3 then says, " but, they pre-boarded!"

The pre- board man then chimes in "but my wife is strong!"

They were re- seated with much grumbling, as now half the A group was already on board, taking the rows upfront.

Don't understand, if this happened twice in last month on my flights, does it occur with you all just as often?
Old Apr 27, 2015, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by Amicus
Since this is the second time in a month in which I have observed pre-boarders sit down in exit row seats, I'm wondering if this is a WN issue only.

On the most recent flight where this occurred, I boarded with A 1, and watched the pre- board couple ahead of me on the jetway board the plane and plonk in the exit row, one of then in the "infinite legroom" seat. I took the opposite side of that row. The two guys behind me, that held A 2 and 3 were miffed.
Mr A 2 queried the FA standing a few rows back why the couple could take "their" seats. The FA stated it was "open seating. ".
Persistent, Mr A 3 then says, " but, they pre-boarded!"

The pre- board man then chimes in "but my wife is strong!"
So what qualified them to pre-board?
Old Apr 27, 2015, 1:46 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A-, UA S, HH ♦, IHG Spire, Hertz Prez O, TSA Disparager
The FAs are supposed to police pre-boards and that's why A1 usually gets to keep their BP so they know when regular boarding begins. I'd send in a complaint so the FA can be "retrained."
Old Apr 27, 2015, 1:49 pm

To the contrary, in my experience, this is actually one area I see the FA enforce consistently.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 2:02 pm
Original Poster

I don't know what "qualified" them to pre-board, and maybe they don't know either??

One point to note, that when I gave my BP to the FA upon boarding, she did not announce "General boarding" on the intercom, like I typically hear if I had A 1.
There was only that one couple, plus one wheelchair pax, as pre- boarders on that flight. Maybe just lack of attention by the FA upfront and the other FA mid cabin?
Old Apr 27, 2015, 2:20 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
I don't know what "qualified" them to pre-board, and maybe they don't know either??

One point to note, that when I gave my BP to the FA upon boarding, she did not announce "General boarding" on the intercom, like I typically hear if I had A 1.
There was only that one couple, plus one wheelchair pax, as pre- boarders on that flight. Maybe just lack of attention by the FA upfront and the other FA mid cabin?
Could be, perhaps a former AirTran crew? This is one thing they do seem to enforce fantastically and I would have no problem making a stink if I was A0 whatever, saw it happen and didn't get the exit row I covet (and overpay for).
Old Apr 27, 2015, 2:44 pm

Lately I've heard the boarding announcement at the gate include a statement that pre-boarders may not sit in the exit seat.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 3:16 pm

Programs: Southwest Airlines AP & CP; BA Gold
Last Thursday night AUS to SAN flight starts to board, as usual Pre-boards followed by Business Select. Lady approaches the GA interrupting the boarding and asks to be pre-boarded with her husband who is standing towards the end of the A group. GA asks for her pre-board authorization to which she responds that she has none. GA directs her to the GA at the desk to request pre-board docs. As she walks away, she comments that she wants to pre-board because she and her husband want to sit the exit row. GA again halts boarding to explain that she cannot sit in the exit row if she pre-boards. Couple ultimately boards late-A or early-B (I'm guessing without pre-board doc) and take two exit row seats.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by kaller
Lady approaches the GA interrupting the boarding and asks to be pre-boarded with her husband who is standing towards the end of the A group, she comments that she wants to pre-board because she and her husband want to sit the exit row.
Clueless much?

That right up there with the lady with a full leg cast, protesting being moved from the exit row "because I need the room".
Old Apr 27, 2015, 4:31 pm

Programs: none
"Clueless"? Maybe not. Infrequent flyer? Probably yes. If you ask the GA if you can move up in the queue, the worst they can say is "no".

(Years ago) a passenger from Economy asked the FC flight attendant if he could move up to an empty seat in front. When she asked why, he told her he'd never flown First Class before and wanted to see what it was like. She told him "OK".

You never know if you don't ask.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 4:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by LegalTender
So what qualified them to pre-board?
I don't think they can question them about what their disability is, so simply stating they need to preboard is accepted.

I have seen FAs prevent preboarders from sitting in exit rows. This couple may simply have appeared robust and the FA didn't know if they were preboard or A1 and A2.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 6:10 pm

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
This is why they tell A1 to hand their BP to the FA (so they know general boarding has begun). I was A16 recently, behind A1 & A2 who were clearly new to WN, BS, or both, and A1 was just beside himself about what an unprofessional operation they were running and he couldn't figure out why they would have to hand their BP to the FA, which somehow he interpreted to mean WN was disorganized. Thankfully they took the first row and left me with a peaceful exit row.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 6:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
Lately I've heard the boarding announcement at the gate include a statement that pre-boarders may not sit in the exit seat.
At MCI, the gate agent staples a printout to the pre-board document; in this handout are explicit rules about which rows are exit rows and that pre-boarders may not sit in these rows. I'm guessing no one bothers to read that written set of rules attached to their pre-board pass.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 6:58 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
At MCI, the gate agent staples a printout to the pre-board document; in this handout are explicit rules about which rows are exit rows and that pre-boarders may not sit in these rows. I'm guessing no one bothers to read that written set of rules attached to their pre-board pass.
I always get those. I ask them not to bother and they insist that I have to get it. I take it and hand it back. Lots of real fine print in English and Spanish that says DO NOT SIT IN EXIT ROW and this is where you find them so that you will know to not sit there.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 11:22 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A-, UA S, HH ♦, IHG Spire, Hertz Prez O, TSA Disparager
Originally Posted by joshua362
Could be, perhaps a former AirTran crew?
I bet you're right.

Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
That right up there with the lady with a full leg cast, protesting being moved from the exit row "because I need the room".
I witnessed a person with a leg boot get removed from the exit row on US recently. Of course the DYKWIA was an elite flyer and said he was entitled to the exit row.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.