Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Questions re family check in and boarding

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2015, 3:10 pm
Original Poster

Questions re family check in and boarding

I'm an AirTran refugee and typically a solo flyer on SW for work. This year has been fine with my A-List status so no complaints. However, this fall my wife and I are flying to MCO with our twins for their sixth birthday at Disney World. We will be using points for the flight and I'm not sure how multiple persons work on Southwest. Family boarding is not an option as both kids are 98th percentile for height and could never pass for 4!

I ran a couple of searches but couldn't find exactly how things will work - any advice/answers would be appreciated.

1. If I buy the tickets with points on the website, are all the tickets together under one reservation under my name?
2. Will my A-List status cover all 4 tickets so we get 24 hour check in and automatic assignment at 24 hours out?
3. I think that I would get an A30 position even with the cheapest fares, but would that also apply to the family?

Thanks very much!
Old Apr 23, 2015, 3:17 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, AA Plat. Pro
Originally Posted by fcrit
I'm an AirTran refugee and typically a solo flyer on SW for work. This year has been fine with my A-List status so no complaints. However, this fall my wife and I are flying to MCO with our twins for their sixth birthday at Disney World. We will be using points for the flight and I'm not sure how multiple persons work on Southwest. Family boarding is not an option as both kids are 98th percentile for height and could never pass for 4!

I ran a couple of searches but couldn't find exactly how things will work - any advice/answers would be appreciated.

1. If I buy the tickets with points on the website, are all the tickets together under one reservation under my name?
2. Will my A-List status cover all 4 tickets so we get 24 hour check in and automatic assignment at 24 hours out?
3. I think that I would get an A30 position even with the cheapest fares, but would that also apply to the family?

Thanks very much!
Flying to MCO typically has a lot of Early Bird Check-In folks. When we fly Southwest as a family I typically buy it for every one or everyone but myself so that we're all together. Your A List only covers you. I believe you would be checking in each person separately if bought on points.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 3:38 pm

I just bought 3 tickets at one time using points and each of them has a different reservation number which I find frustrating. I am not sure why SW does that but I am sure someone else will come along and be able to explain it.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 4:03 pm

I'd just buy EBCI for the wife and kids and call it a day.
Old Apr 23, 2015, 4:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
No. 4 separate PNRs.

No. Your status covers only you. If you are really concerned, buy EBCI for the other 3.

For you, your A-List status will give you a boarding position ahead of EBCI folks (assuming WGA or AT fare). For your family, if they did not have EBCI, for WGA/AT fares, their boarding position would be based the exact time of their check-in. If they did have EBCI, then it would be based on how far in advance of departure they purchased EBCI.
Old Apr 26, 2015, 12:06 pm

In my opinion the easiest way to handle this would be to buy EBCI for them and then you can drop back and board with them. Avoid the whole separation seat saving thing and enjoy your vacation.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 4:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by disalex
In my opinion the easiest way to handle this would be to buy EBCI for them and then you can drop back and board with them. Avoid the whole separation seat saving thing and enjoy your vacation.
Sounds like the right plan - thanks for all the advice.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 9:38 pm

Programs: Southwest A-List Preferred and CP, Marriott Platinum, National Executive Elite
I bet they'd let you board with families after A group... But I agree EBCI is safest approach.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.