Need some advice

Old Apr 18, 15, 3:13 pm
Original Poster

Cool Need some advice

HI everyone!

Total n00b to RR. I'm close to the Companion Pass (I'm short 4500) and it would be amazing to invite my sister on my trip on May 10.

I just joined RR Dining (registered my SW card--I know it says it takes up to 14 days to post my rewards--> 4 pts/1$?); should I wait for my RRD bonus points to post before "buying" my plane tickets or should I just plan on spending something through their Shop?

Also, anyone worried about the "devaluation" of our points?

THANKS IN ADVANCEE
Old Apr 18, 15, 4:04 pm

Programs: DL-Gold, UA-*S, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by humali View Post
HI everyone!

Total n00b to RR. I'm close to the Companion Pass (I'm short 4500) and it would be amazing to invite my sister on my trip on May 10.

I just joined RR Dining (registered my SW card--I know it says it takes up to 14 days to post my rewards--> 4 pts/1$?); should I wait for my RRD bonus points to post before "buying" my plane tickets or should I just plan on spending something through their Shop?

THANKS IN ADVANCEE
The initial bonus points for Rapid Rewards Dining generally have not been CPQPs.

Shopping portal points often take a long time to post.
Old Apr 18, 15, 6:39 pm

Programs: AA Gold, WN A+ & CP, HH Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, National Executive Elite
HI everyone!

THANKS IN ADVANCEE
There's really not much reason to wait unless you are not going to go without her. If you are going no matter what, and the ticket is currently at a price that you are comfortable with, then buy your ticket and if you get the CP in time (that is any time before the flight) you can get her ticket then.

The only concern would be if your flight sells out before you get the CP. If it does, is there another flight that you can and are willing to change to even if it costs more? If so, then you've really got very little risk in buying your ticket now.
Old Apr 19, 15, 6:08 am

Programs: WN A-List; Hyatt Glob: CC/HH Gold, Hertz 5*
You can secure a seat for your sister using points. If the flight sells out they can change a points to a CP reservation. You still have enough time to do some partner activities, shopping, car rental etc. Once you hit 110k the CP posts quickly, for me I could select my companion the next day.
Old Apr 19, 15, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
It is getting close. Do what robbert suggests; if you do not get CP and you do not want to take her after all, cancel w/o penalty.

Best option now is to do a transfer from a hotel program (Choice, Marriott, Hyatt), or even Amtrak. These points WILL be CP-qualifying and they come pretty fast (normally 8 days at most).

NOT direct from Chase UR, those are NOT CP-qualifying.
Old Apr 19, 15, 2:03 pm
Original Poster

Thumbs up

Thank you everyone! New to the game and you guys are great

I'll definitely follow your advice; I didn't know I could get her CP after I make my purchase after purchasing her a ticket too; and good to know that dining does not count towards CP.
Old Apr 19, 15, 2:42 pm

Programs: DL-Gold, UA-*S, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-Titanium
good to know that dining does not count towards CP.
Dines count. The initial bonus doesn't.
Old Apr 19, 15, 2:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FindAWay View Post
Dines count. The initial bonus doesn't.
Oh that makes sense. Thanks!
Old Apr 19, 15, 4:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by toomanybooks View Post
It is getting close. Do what robbert suggests; if you do not get CP and you do not want to take her after all, cancel w/o penalty.

Best option now is to do a transfer from a hotel program (Choice, Marriott, Hyatt), or even Amtrak. These points WILL be CP-qualifying and they come pretty fast (normally 8 days at most).

NOT direct from Chase UR, those are NOT CP-qualifying.
Thank you toomanybooks!! I transferred 1200 points from my best western rewards... now 3300 to go! Time to go through my rewards. .... unless it doesn't count

Last edited by humali; Apr 20, 15 at 2:08 am
Old Apr 19, 15, 4:37 pm
Original Poster

Does anyone here know how long it takes for the Chase/SW card referral to post (5k)? I'm trying to convince my friend to sign up..... and maybe hit the CPQDs at the same time O
Old Apr 20, 15, 5:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thank you everyone! New to the game and you guys are great

I'll definitely follow your advice; I didn't know I could get her CP after I make my purchase after purchasing her a ticket too; and good to know that dining does not count towards CP.
Do not pay cash for a ticket for her now. That money can only be used for her to fly, and maybe would be wasted.

Use points only.

Last edited by toomanybooks; Apr 20, 15 at 5:57 am
Old Apr 20, 15, 6:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Does anyone here know how long it takes for the Chase/SW card referral to post (5k)? I'm trying to convince my friend to sign up..... and maybe hit the CPQDs at the same time O
Cannot count on this in a timely way. You need something you know will post soon.

In a pinch you could rent 6 cars, day by day, from various companies. Those are 600 points each. Maybe cost $150 if you are lucky, with a chunk of that coming back in points, plus getting the CP.
Old Apr 20, 15, 8:47 am

Programs: Kimpton Inner Circle; IHG Spire elite; Marriott & SPG Gold, r
Buy Choice Hotel points. They transfer fast. Buy 12,000 points [will take 2 transactions as you can only buy 10,000 in one transaction]. 12,000 Choice points will get you 3,600 RR points. the cost is $11 per 1,000 CP.
Old Apr 20, 15, 10:58 am

Programs: Club Carlson Gold, SW CP
I've heard ppl are having success calling the retention line after having the cards for two months. 3-6k points per card. If it works you could have an additional 12k points right away! Let us know if it works!
Old Apr 20, 15, 8:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by toomanybooks View Post
Do not pay cash for a ticket for her now. That money can only be used for her to fly, and maybe would be wasted.

Use points only.
Ordered both tix on points

Search this Thread
Search Engine: