Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Will they find out? 2 Bookings, 1 day apart

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2015, 9:57 am
Original Poster

Will they find out? 2 Bookings, 1 day apart

I am not sure which date I will leave on a one way flight.

I have booked a flight on 2 consecutive days - one on a Monday and one the next day, Tuesday. They are both from and to same airport. Both booked with points.

I will cancel one of the flights as soon as I know which flight I will take. It will be approximately 1 week before flights.

The flight is within 4 weeks.

Will Southwest find this out and cancel one [or both] reservations?

Thanks.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 9:59 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Touch) AppleWebKit/537.35+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.2.1.3442 Mobile Safari/537.35+)

You can always claim you were planning to do a same day turn because of commitments. I'd anticipate you're fine.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 10:21 am

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
No, they will not find out nor care.

It would be perfectly legitimate to fly both.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 11:59 am

They dont care. I do this when my plans are not firm. Its the beauty of SW flexibility.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 2:40 pm

Programs: Southwest Airlines AP & CP; BA Gold
Multiple reservations departing the same city on the same day is prohibited under the Contract of Carriage. Two reservations on subsequent days is routine for me when I have uncertainly in my schedule.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 8:15 am

Programs: WN CP
What about same day departures to the same city from different cities?

Example: We plan on taking a trip and driving up (or down) the west coast. We are going to do one of the following but not sure which yet: ROC to PDX, drive to SFO, SFO to ROC. Or ROC to SFO then drive up to PDX and then PDX to ROC

From what was mentioned above, I now know that I cannot book two flights out of ROC on the same day (ROC to PDX and ROC to SFO on Sept 1st).

However, can I book two flights from different cities on the same day arriving at the same location (PDX to ROC and SFO to ROC on Sept 7th)?
Old Apr 16, 2015, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by atothesquiz

However, can I book two flights from different cities on the same day arriving at the same location (PDX to ROC and SFO to ROC on Sept 7th)?
Not sure I remember anyone ever bringing this up. I'd say there is some risk.

You might try not putting in your RR# on these reservations. Of course, you will have to pay cash. Or maybe put RR on one (if points/TTF) and use different name on other (initials, etc.)
Old Apr 16, 2015, 11:29 am

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
Not sure I remember anyone ever bringing this up. I'd say there is some risk.

You might try not putting in your RR# on these reservations. Of course, you will have to pay cash. Or maybe put RR on one (if points/TTF) and use different name on other (initials, etc.)
Not an option as this will be a CP trip as well. Looks like we'll just have to make up our mind now which way we want to travel and book it.

Thanks.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 11:41 am

Not an option as this will be a CP trip as well. Looks like we'll just have to make up our mind now which way we want to travel and book it.

Thanks.
Honestly, I would book both trips. If you're going to be cancelling a week out, I don't think their systems are going to catch or care about that. Now, if you cancelled same day and did this repeatedly, yes, you might get a nasty letter. But cancelling a week out? You'll be fine.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by texashoser
Honestly, I would book both trips. If you're going to be cancelling a week out, I don't think their systems are going to catch or care about that. Now, if you cancelled same day and did this repeatedly, yes, you might get a nasty letter. But cancelling a week out? You'll be fine.
We'd be canceling well before a week out. We'll be deciding soon which way we want to drive but wanted to book before the devaluation of points.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 12:26 pm

We'd be canceling well before a week out. We'll be deciding soon which way we want to drive but wanted to book before the devaluation of points.
You'll be fine. Many folks, including me, make speculative bookings to lock in good points redemptions and cancel the unnecessary reservations when we have exact dates, etc.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 3:57 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
It's within their rights to cancel speculative bookings, but I've never heard of them actually doing so. You would get to reuse the ticketless travel funds anyway even if they did.

I imagine they make money on average from speculative bookings, since you now forfeit most bookings if you forget to cancel, and their yield management system takes those bookings into account. Plus some fraction of unused travel funds end up being forfeited after 1 year.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 4:05 pm

Programs: WN, UA, DL, AA, Chase UR, Amex MR

Example: We plan on taking a trip and driving up (or down) the west coast. We are going to do one of the following but not sure which yet: ROC to PDX, drive to SFO, SFO to ROC. Or ROC to SFO then drive up to PDX and then PDX to ROC

From what was mentioned above, I now know that I cannot book two flights out of ROC on the same day (ROC to PDX and ROC to SFO on Sept 1st).

I basically did this a few months ago when I booked LGA-HOU and EWR-HOU for the same day back in December. I did not have any problems and I didn't finalize my plans until about 10 days out.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 4:40 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Has *anyone* actually had a speculative booking cancelled?
Old Apr 18, 2015, 6:42 am

I did this for my daughter. I wasn't sure what day she was finishing an internship. I booked two flights one day apart. I found out a couple months later and cancelled one of the flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.