Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

COS w/CP & VDB Now I know, but it feels wrong

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2015, 4:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond

As a COS using CP for the extra seat, it has been a mystery about what would happen if I volunteered on an oversold flight. I had booked a flight that I really did not want because it was the best NS for price on a busy travel day. I get to the airport and found my flight was late. As I was talking with the GA about alternate bookings, they put up a notice looking for volunteers. I asked if I could volunteer both seats, and she said that I could. The flight was five hours later, but my son lived in the city and I would just meet him and visit for lunch.

The financials: I paid $212 for the OW fare. I wanted the flight I was moved to but it was ~$370, so I took the earlier. All said and done, I was moved to the later flight, lost my A-list position but preboard anyway, and my bag beat me to the destination. Bottom line is a $512 voucher for me and a $400 voucher for my CP extra seat. Since the flight was nearly six hours later, I got $300 plus my fare paid. My extra seat got $300 plus the standard $100 for the volunteered CP seat. $912 for waiting six hours. I got the vouchers, left the airport to visit with my son, and returned to catch the later flight.

There is a kicker. The flight they moved me to was oversold and I was told that I could volunteer both seats again, but it would require flying the next day. This was not possible because of work, but intriguing.

Two things to take away. I doubt this would have happened with a gate requested extra seat. It may be another reason to pay for the seat and apply for the refund later. Had I paid full price for the extra seat, I would have gotten $512 for it as well. The $212 could have been refunded anyway. The second is that in oversold conditions they are willing to push their problems later in the day. They know this flight is oversold and nearing boarding. The one later just may open up. It is a gamble. Yesterday was not a good day. Last day of secondary school spring break in the area and the NRA convention leaving town, 27K people in Nashville in attendance. It was the reason flights were expensive or sold out when I bought.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 8:26 am

Programs: SWA RR BIS 6.2M, A+'20, CP'20, AA, UA Gold, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond
You worked the system as they offered it and you didn't game it in any way, Ink.

Think of it as time shifted compensation for any other wayward SWA things that haven't gone your way.

/As I sit on Wifi LAS bound on an -800 with 6 BS SWA flights this month- racking up double points promo RTs on 5 of them. Embrace the opportunities provided when they happen.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 8:37 am

Programs: WN
I think you may have gotten lucky. I asked that specific question in their online interface. About a week later I got a call from them explaining in detail what their policy is regarding extra seats for COS passengers. The GA on your flight may not have been aware of it, or it didn't click in his/her head that the companion seat was being used as an extra seat for a COS, or was in a hurry and didn't care, just wanted two empty seats. Below is a thread discussing this policy.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south...omer-size.html
Old Apr 13, 2015, 10:16 am

I have seen posts here about people getting multiple VDB on the same day. Some even seem to arrange to maximize for it. Pretty good deal if you can do it. I usually need to go when I book a ticket.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by darrenpb
I think you may have gotten lucky. I asked that specific question in their online interface. About a week later I got a call from them explaining in detail what their policy is regarding extra seats for COS passengers. The GA on your flight may not have been aware of it, or it didn't click in his/her head that the companion seat was being used as an extra seat for a COS, or was in a hurry and didn't care, just wanted two empty seats. Below is a thread discussing this policy.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south...omer-size.html
Your question wasn't the same. You were not your own companion. In your scenario, you bought a refundable extra seat as a COS. You were guaranteed a refund of that fare after the flight.

Ink, on the other hand assigned himself as his companion, rather than, as your scenario with your wife as your companion. Had you asked SWA about you, as a COS, as your own companion and your wife as a paid passenger, you would have received compensation as Ink did (for you and your companion), plus compensation for your wife had you both VDB.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 12:29 pm

While I agree the question posed in the previous thread is not identical I think the general premise the YMMV is applicable.

When airlines are oversold they sometimes throw the rule book out the window to get the goal accomplished, and results are not always identical.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
While I agree the question posed in the previous thread is not identical I think the general premise the YMMV is applicable.

When airlines are oversold they sometimes throw the rule book out the window to get the goal accomplished, and results are not always identical.
The poster wasn't saying the general premise was the same, they said "that specific question". The difference could result in a very different outcome. That is what I was saying.

I don't think Ink got lucky. I thing he got what he deserved according to SWA guidelines.

Not only that, the poster was also giving a phone rep a hypothetical situation, not something that actually happened.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 5:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Seems like a win-win situation. Enjoy the extra cash.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 5:38 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Don't understand your apprehension / guilt Ink other that you are an honest, ethical guy trying to make sense of a mean industry. In the absence of real competition, all airlines are are going to soak you for what they can. Think of it as payback for the year long greedy schedule meltdown last year or payforward for the future devaluation(s) forthcoming!
Old Apr 13, 2015, 6:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
I have been at work all day and just now getting caught up on the replies. When I asked about compensation, I said I was CP COS and could give up both my seats. I handed the GA my BP, my Preboard document and my saved seat document. I told her all of this up front. They were offering $300 straight out of the chute and it was still about 2 hours to the delayed flight. It was not a typical oversell. The convention was over. People were not cancelling the fights. They were going home. Most Sunday's the airport is full of people leaving home. Not this time.

The NRA convention had locked up Nashville for three days. There were lots of big name speakers and the whole area was sold out. I checked hotels for Friday and the Hampton Inn 40 miles away was asking $399 for the one available room. Ouch.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 8:47 am

Programs: HH Diamond, EX-AA Explat, WN Loyalist
I just got out of Nashville Friday and the hotels were all at capacity all last week too.

As a fellow CP cos user, I too have had that guilty feeling as well when the agent offers significant value for the COS seat, but I never ever submit for the refund on the tax portion of my CP, even though they tell me I can. I would feel too much like I am gaming the system, even though no one in their right mind would ever sit in the middle with my shoulders...

On a seperate note, do you ever get COS CP groupies? I have this one fellow frequent flyer who sees me and bee lines for the window seat every flight we are on together. She has done it at least a dozen times with me.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 9:45 am

Programs: WN A-List; Hyatt Diamond; Marriott Gold; National Executive
Originally Posted by leeinct
On a seperate note, do you ever get COS CP groupies? I have this one fellow frequent flyer who sees me and bee lines for the window seat every flight we are on together. She has done it at least a dozen times with me.
I literally LOL'd at that statement. She's GENIUS!
Old Apr 14, 2015, 9:53 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards/AAdvantage
When I get older and retire, I could go the next day, but for now I have to keep my plans as I require to be in town for work
My flights last week to and from Vegas were both full, On the way home from Vegas the Chicago flight next to our gate they were looking for volunteers offering $300 plus ticket paid but they couldn't get them out til 2 days later

Ink, awesome job volunteering Im sure it did help them out
Old Apr 14, 2015, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Is she cute? Could be a great FT story.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 5:23 pm

Programs: SWA RR BIS 6.2M, A+'20, CP'20, AA, UA Gold, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond
...On a seperate note, do you ever get COS CP groupies? I have this one fellow frequent flyer who sees me and bee lines for the window seat every flight we are on together. She has done it at least a dozen times with me.
I was boarding a flight back from SLC and folks were walking past a passenger that had a "seat reserved" tag. I knew what was going on and happily took the isle seat. He leaded over and said "nobody is going to be sitting there". I smiled back and said "I know".

I did ask him if he was a an FT'er and he said no. I don't know if he joined the site but hope he did.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.