Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Southwest policy for missed flights on "wanna get away" fares

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2015, 3:23 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending
Original Poster

Hi,

I am considering booking a flight but I'm concerned I may miss it, so I would like to know in advance what my options would be if that happens.

I am looking at LAX-PHX-AUS departing LAX at 11:35 AM. I am about 80% sure that I will be done with work on time to make that flight, but there is a possibility I may not.

If that were to be the case, what would happen? Let's say I got to the airport by noon, would Southwest be able to put me on another flight that day? There are plenty of options, both connecting and nonstop, later in the day. How much extra would it cost? Is there a policy for this or is it just find a friendly agent and hope for the best?

I've looked on the internet but a lot of the replies seem to be old and I think they changed policies recently.

Thanks for any help.

PS I know I can just book a later flight, but I do want to maximize my time in AUS, so I don't want to do that unnecessarily and have to sit around at LAX.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 5:43 am

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
While it is nowhere in writing, the 'flat tire rule' does still exist. If you show up within 2 hours of your original flight time, they will allow you to standby for the flights that have not left.

The problem with this is that so many flights these days are completely booked and A-list people will have priority over you on the standby list.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 6:18 am

Originally Posted by lougord99
While it is nowhere in writing, the 'flat tire rule' does still exist. If you show up within 2 hours of your original flight time, they will allow you to standby for the flights that have not left.

The problem with this is that so many flights these days are completely booked and A-list people will have priority over you on the standby list.
How often is this done that the agents will let you do this?
Old Apr 1, 2015, 6:19 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Given loads these days, it is a risky proposition. The CS gesture of "flat tire" necessarily means availability and the "flat tires" come behind all others who need acommodation. All it takes is one flight cancelled for any reason and suddenly there are 100+ people to be rebooked (ahead of you).
Old Apr 1, 2015, 8:24 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
OP - Assuming you are flying on a WGA fare, you should also understand that what is "in writing" is the no show policy (i.e., your ticket would be canceled and funds retained by WN). So, any flat tire rule accommodation would be at the discretion of an agent and should not be expected.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 8:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by cbn42
How much extra would it cost?
Apart from the "spare tire rule" discussed above, you can always change to a different flight by upfaring to an Anytime fare. There's no change fee but the fare differential is usually in the hundreds of dollars.

If I'm traveling for business, I just don't buy WGA fares for exactly this reason.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 8:50 am

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Originally Posted by cloney
How often is this done that the agents will let you do this?
I do not remember anyone reporting here that they were unable to do it.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 12:13 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by FindAWay
OP - Assuming you are flying on a WGA fare, you should also understand that what is "in writing" is the no show policy (i.e., your ticket would be canceled and funds retained by WN). So, any flat tire rule accommodation would be at the discretion of an agent and should not be expected.
I disagree. I believe that the flat tire rule *is* a written policy in Southwest's internal systems, even though customers can't view it. Therefore it's not something a gate agent (or a supervisor, in case the gate agent is unfamiliar with the policy) would deny you.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 12:58 pm

I've never had a problem...

typically ill have 30mins for departure and the agent refuses to give me a boarding pass and says they will have to rebook me. Have not had a problem getting on another flight but i tend to fly mid week so flights are not booked.

Keep in mind as others have said you are flying standby. spring/summer is the busy season so worst case you might have to take a flight the next day. I had this happen last year.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 1:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
Originally Posted by nsx
I disagree. I believe that the flat tire rule *is* a written policy in Southwest's internal systems, even though customers can't view it. Therefore it's not something a gate agent (or a supervisor, in case the gate agent is unfamiliar with the policy) would deny you.
Has one of the WN reps on this board ever confirmed it as a formal, internal policy/rule? Even if so, was that before or after the no show policy was implemented ~18 months ago?

Please don't misunderstand me, I don't think we've ever heard a single report from someone being denied "flat tire" accommodations when presenting themselves at the airport within 2 hours after the scheduled original departure; so, it isn't unreasonable to rely on it. However, Southwest has changed rules/policies that aren't written (i.e., the cost to extend a LUV voucher) previously without notice.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 1:05 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by FindAWay
Has one of the WN reps on this board ever confirmed it as a formal, internal policy/rule? Even if so, was that before or after the no show policy was implemented ~18 months ago?
Could someone please ask a gate agent and report the response here?
Old Apr 1, 2015, 1:14 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pto, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
I overslept a WGA departure last month. I got to the airport a little over and hour past departure, TA didn't hesitate and started typing away on a reroute until I mentioned I had booked it as a paid fare connecting to a separate hidden city points ticket. At that point my point ticket was refunded and the TA began looking at a fully paid option to my intended destination. I ended up about even between additional fare collection and points redeposit. ^

Oversleep and endure a Saturday morning Orlando connection with the Mouse Cult heavily represented on both legs.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 1:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Just book two different flights, and cancel the one you don't take. You have a year to use the credit.

Make sure to book all your flights as one way.

Simple.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 1:29 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
A gate agent told me that it was a formal guideline, however the agents have full discretion to not offer it if they feel the customer is abusing the policy or being deceitful.

If I were the gate agent, I'd deny the flat tire rule if:
-customer mentions within earshot of the gate agent ("see honey, I told you this would work if we bought the cheaper fare we didn't want we could fly later")

-customer walks up to the gate agent, and point blank asks them to flat tire rule them... Without showing any remorse, frustration, etc, for missing the flight.

It's an internal guideline, not a public rule. So be courteous and grateful if (when) it is extended to you.
Old Apr 1, 2015, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by expert7700
A gate agent told me that it was a formal guideline, however the agents have full discretion to not offer it if they feel the customer is abusing the policy or being deceitful.
Thanks for checking!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.