Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Kick Tail vouchers for Ops Agents who enforce boarding order: post your reports here

Kick Tail vouchers for Ops Agents who enforce boarding order: post your reports here

Reply

Old Mar 30, 15, 9:52 am
  #1  
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines
Original Poster
2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: California
Programs: WN CP & A-list preferred, Interstate BBQ at MEM B17, Hotwire, Priceline, tent
Posts: 19,234
Kick Tail vouchers for Ops Agents who enforce boarding order: post your reports here

Originally Posted by nsx View Post
If Ops Agents enforced boarding order 100% of the time these scammers would stop trying after the first couple of flights. Now it will take much longer to train them to stop trying.

Ops Agents have a classic free rider problem: The lazy ones create extra work for the diligent ones.

From now on I will give one Kick Tail voucher to every Ops Agent who turns aside a line position cheat. In an extreme case I will write a commendation letter.
Today I gave my first Kick Tail voucher in my personal campaign to encourage proper enforcement of boarding order. The ops agent accepted c21 at a25, but the supervisor next to her turned the passenger away. While I getting out my kick tail he turned away another.
nsx is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 15, 9:57 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 233
While C21 trying to board at A25 is extreme, just curious what you consider boarding out of order?

+/-5 is what I've normally said something to the person in line, and I've never seen something so egregious that I need to say something to the agents.
jabbered is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 15, 10:01 am
  #3  
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines
Original Poster
2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: California
Programs: WN CP & A-list preferred, Interstate BBQ at MEM B17, Hotwire, Priceline, tent
Posts: 19,234
Originally Posted by jabbered View Post
While C21 trying to board at A25 is extreme, just curious what you consider boarding out of order?

+/-5 is what I've normally said something to the person in line, and I've never seen something so egregious that I need to say something to the agents.
I agree. A few places off is no big deal. People who cheat are normally in the wrong group of 30. I see it near my boarding number maybe one flight in 15. So I figure at least one person is trying it somewhere in the line almost every flight.
nsx is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 15, 10:21 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Rochester, NY
Programs: AirTran A+ Elite, Marriott Rewards Plat, Rapid Rewards A List, National Exec, USAir Div Mil
Posts: 322
I agree that a few places off is no big deal, unless it's around A-15. That can be (and usually is) the difference between exit row or not.
DoctorK is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 15, 11:06 am
  #5  
2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 5,016
Originally Posted by nsx View Post
I agree. A few places off is no big deal. People who cheat are normally in the wrong group of 30. I see it near my boarding number maybe one flight in 15. So I figure at least one person is trying it somewhere in the line almost every flight.
At least one on every flight. I see people I suspect about half the time.

I am usually in the A-2[0-9] region, the sweet spot for line cutters. The sophisticated ones try to exploit the break between BS and the the A-16-30 group. Usually when BS is called A-16 moves to the front pole creating an opportunity to blend in and limited opportunity to ask about BP number..

The most current scam I noticed is a couple claiming "We are A-2x" I've seen that one a couple of times lately. I suspect one actually has A-2x and their companion has C-xx.
rsteinmetz70112 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 15, 11:19 am
  #6  
 
Join Date: May 2005
Programs: AA GLD 1MM, WN AList CP, MR PLT, HH DIA, SPG PLT, IHG SPI
Posts: 1,320
Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112 View Post
...The most current scam I noticed is a couple claiming "We are A-2x" I've seen that one a couple of times lately. I suspect one actually has A-2x and their companion has C-xx....
That's been going on for years with CP. Sometimes people are oblivious to the rules and think they can board with the A lister since they are that person's companion. It doesn't help that the legacies (AA for example in my experience) generally let companions board with the person with the higher group on BP.
MileageGoblin is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 15, 11:35 am
  #7  
2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 5,016
Originally Posted by MileageGoblin View Post
That's been going on for years with CP. Sometimes people are oblivious to the rules and think they can board with the A lister since they are that person's companion. It doesn't help that the legacies (AA for example in my experience) generally let companions board with the person with the higher group on BP.
The cases I'm seeing exhibit all of the signs of scammers.

They hide the BP and don't actually enter the line but stand off to the side until actual boarding starts. By standing off to the side they avoid having to explain to A-2x+1 why there are two of them.
rsteinmetz70112 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 15, 12:42 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: between Albuquerque and Santa Fe
Programs: Kimpton Inner Circle; IHG Spire elite; Marriott & SPG Gold, r
Posts: 832
Kick Tail voucher = ??
DebitNM is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 15, 1:54 pm
  #9  
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Programs: LTP, PP
Posts: 7,608
Originally Posted by DebitNM View Post
Kick Tail voucher = ??
Given (once?) to A List Preferred to give out to employees when you see them doing something good. I've given them out for a great attitude and usually am rewarded with drinks.
joshua362 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 15, 1:57 pm
  #10  
2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 5,016
Originally Posted by joshua362 View Post
Given (once?) to A List Preferred to give out to employees when you see them doing something good. I've given them out for a great attitude and usually am rewarded with drinks.
I don't think it's ever really been determined who they are given out too. Not all A List Preferred got them.
rsteinmetz70112 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 15, 5:50 pm
  #11  
2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: La Jolla, Ca
Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Posts: 2,838
How do you know the boarding position of other passengers? Virtually impossible to see phone BPs, I avoid showing personal information in public.

Someone attempting to cut the line will likely hold their BP close.
diver858 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 15, 5:53 pm
  #12  
2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: La Jolla, Ca
Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Posts: 2,838
Originally Posted by MileageGoblin View Post
It doesn't help that the legacies (AA for example in my experience) generally let companions board with the person with the higher group on BP.
Less of an issue on full service carriers, with assigned seats. When traveling together on AA / AS / US, my wife boards with me so our rollerbags make it on to the flight; quite the gymnastics exercise on the few occasions we travel together on WN, she ends up with a significantly higher boarding position.
diver858 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 15, 6:01 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: ORD, MDW or MKE
Programs: No change fees keep me tied to WN. Choice and Marriott hotels primarily.
Posts: 5,878
Originally Posted by diver858 View Post
How do you know the boarding position of other passengers? Virtually impossible to see phone BPs, I avoid showing personal information in public.

Someone attempting to cut the line will likely hold their BP close.
Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112 View Post
At least one on every flight. I see people I suspect about half the time.
How can you suspect someone is line cutting??
lougord99 is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 30, 15, 8:18 pm
  #14  
2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 5,016
Originally Posted by lougord99 View Post
How can you suspect someone is line cutting??
By acting odd.

Standing outside the line in tight groups, hiding their BP, refusing to say what their boarding position is. Sometimes they may not be cheating but I'd suggest many times they are.
rsteinmetz70112 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 15, 9:04 pm
  #15  
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Programs: LTP, PP
Posts: 7,608
Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112 View Post
By acting odd.

Standing outside the line in tight groups, hiding their BP, refusing to say what their boarding position is. Sometimes they may not be cheating but I'd suggest many times they are.
6 or 7 people squeezed into a spot for 5 maybe another clue in addition to the above!
joshua362 is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: