Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Kick Tail vouchers for Ops Agents who enforce boarding order: post your reports here

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Kick Tail vouchers for Ops Agents who enforce boarding order: post your reports here

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2015, 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by Larabar
For me, it's +/- 0. Seriously, there's no excuse for people being out of line (other than deliberate), the poles have 5 pax within each and people should be able to work out within that space where 1 - 5 fifths are. It's easy to ask the person in front or behind what they have, I usually have my BP on display so people can just see without asking.

If I'm A17 then I'll be making sure there's only 1 person in front of me before BS. I do weekly long (4 - 5 hour) non-stops and it makes a huge difference which seat you get. If I miss out on a good one legitimately due to my position I can accept that, it's entirely the prerogative of the people before me to choose first. If I miss out because someone thought "A21... well minus 5, I'll stand around the front of the A16 pole", then I don't think that's acceptable.
I agree. However, the unacceptable selfish behavior of some entitled people happens because WN agents don't always enforce boarding order when taking your BP at the jetway.

Thus, the point made by the OP is good: reward those agents who adhere to the rules with a kicktail voucher.^
Old Apr 15, 2015, 3:00 pm

Programs: Rapid Rewards/AAdvantage
Noticed on Saturday in LAS they were strictly enforcing boarding order, and they made the announcements please line up in numerical order
Old Apr 15, 2015, 7:43 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Kacee
I pretty much always ask. It's not about policing the line, but figuring out where you're supposed to stand. It's implicit in the process. If someone's too rude to respond civilly (and that's never happened to me), that's their problem, not mine. (And would probably encourage me to grab a gate agent for a bp check.)
Before I started preboarding, I would always ask. I wanted to make sure I was in the right place. One of the worse altercations I have ever seen in a boarding line occurred because a family of 7 got in line between BS and A-16. I thought there was going to be a fight. Good thing there wasn't as the guy was bigger and quicker than me and would have taken me easily. Plus he had a family of 6 as backup but I think I could have handled grandma.

All kidding aside, it was so useless. Grandma and Grandpa had canes and could have preboarded without a problem along with an assistant each. That would have left the Line King along with the two little kids. When I suggested that teaching the kids to cheat was not a cool thing. The little one said "Dad, are we cheating?"

When the OA called for BS, I took my A-16, passed the whole mess and waited at the A-0 position for my A-16. A-17 to A-20 were right behind me. I watched for the King and he boarded at about A-40 with the family and they all sat together.

Idiot.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 5:40 am

Programs: MileagePlus Premier Silver, IHG Spire Elite, HHonors Silver, RapidRewards
I typically just form an "instant repoire" with whoever is in my vicinity near the poles. Eye contact, smile, "A26"/whatever. I've never had anyone get aggressive or refuse to tell.

OT, but worst altercation I'd ever had personally on WN was with A18 and trying to grab a bulkhead with one gent already seated. He informed me "those are saved" and I informed him of WN's no saving policy. He didn't lay a hand to stop me from sitting, but the tension was pretty thick for a few minutes while he mulled it over and finally he moved.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 9:54 am

I informed him of WN's no saving policy
Is is true that WN has a "no saving policy"? I'm seeing some conflicting things on a quick FT search. If anyone can point to where this policy is, that'd be greatly appreciated. My current understanding is that WN has no policy regarding seat saving (implying it's allowed).
Old Apr 17, 2015, 10:04 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
Originally Posted by FonzieBone
I informed him of WN's no saving policy.
Originally Posted by vacayseeker
Is is true that WN has a "no saving policy"? I'm seeing some conflicting things on a quick FT search. If anyone can point to where this policy is, that'd be greatly appreciated. My current understanding is that WN has no policy regarding seat saving (implying it's allowed).
FonzieBone - There is NO PROHIBITION ON SAVING SEATS by WN. The actual policy by WN regarding seat saving is that there is no official policy. When asked, WN simply references that one can take any available seat. Search around here and you'll find the same. If you have found a written policy, please post it. If you were told something else by a WN representative, it was probably a mere FA, GA, Ops Agent, etc. without true authority or knowledge. The official communications are all that there is no policy.

Here's a blog post that walks through it a bit: Can You Save Seats with Southwest Airlines Seating?
Old Apr 17, 2015, 10:09 am

Well, this thread has certainly been derailed...
Old Apr 17, 2015, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by FonzieBone
I informed him of WN's no saving policy.
This is completely incorrect and should be modified or deleted.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 10:49 am
Suspended

Fortunately I haven't had any bad experiences so far (minus the people with 16 and 12 year old teens being able to board with family boarding, but that's another issue). I have told people my boarding order, and I have asked others with no issues. In fact, a couple times the people in front of me let me go in front of them for whatever reason.

The boarding number is certainly not private information and I have every right to know it. Sometimes people (myself included) pay a lot extra to have a lower boarding number, and I want that to be enforced. I am not asking for names, Rapid Reward numbers, where they are going etc as that his private information, but the boarding number certainly isn't and I will call over a gate agent if it does become a problem.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 11:00 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
If I cannot see another persons number, I usually start by stating my boarding position: "I'm [A-__]."

And then, often, the person quickly responds with: "I'm [A-__]. You're right behind/ahead of me."

Although, if they don't, I usually ask: "Which number are you? I want to ensure I'm in the correct position."

I haven't had someone refuse to tell me their number yet. If they did, I would simply stand ahead of them in line and if I'm in the wrong spot, they have all the information and can correct me/prove so.

I'll note that when I use the mobile BPs, my screen times-out and goes dark, so, it is harder for others lining-up after me to find their correct place in order without speaking with me.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 5:10 pm

My favorite time someone tried to cheat was a couple, probably mid 20s, that had C boarding passes try to board with Business Select. The gate agent thankfully turned them away after seeing their passes.

They then tried again at A31, turned away.

They tried again at A-list w/o a passes, the gate agent asked them to step to the side of they would not be able to board the plane at all.

After I boarded I noticed they were the last 2 to come on the plane, it was beautiful.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
I pretty much always ask. It's not about policing the line, but figuring out where you're supposed to stand. It's implicit in the process. If someone's too rude to respond civilly (and that's never happened to me), that's their problem, not mine. (And would probably encourage me to grab a gate agent for a bp check.)
I always ask because I fear skipping someone is who rightfully ahead of me. I've never had anyone return my question with an impolite response or anything other than their boarding pass number.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by Andrea Waters
I always ask because I fear skipping someone is who rightfully ahead of me. I've never had anyone return my question with an impolite response or anything other than their boarding pass number.
I've had patently evasive answers.
Old Apr 20, 2015, 8:07 am

Programs: SWA RR BIS 6.2M, A+'20, CP'20, AA, UA Gold, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
I've had patently evasive answers.
BS line flying back from BUR: I'm A2 or A3 and ask a guy that was standing "around the a2" part of the line "Hi, I'm Ax, can I ask what your number is?" Guy answers with a strong "No!". Couple people around me heard him and sort of pulled back in a "woah" motion.

Turns out he was in the high 10's and just stood at the front of the pole as everyone walked past him.
Old Apr 22, 2015, 5:40 am

Programs: MileagePlus Premier Silver, IHG Spire Elite, HHonors Silver, RapidRewards
Originally Posted by FindAWay
FonzieBoneThere is NO PROHIBITION ON SAVING SEATS by WN.
Let me rephrase. I told him that since there was no one in the seat, I intended to sit there. Pardon my semantics; it was several years ago and I was telling a story, not waxing philosophical on the lack of official policy from WN.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.