Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Rapid Rewards devaluation coming April 17, 2015

Rapid Rewards devaluation coming April 17, 2015

Old Feb 12, 2015, 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by vah4883
It seems that they have already updated the "How to Redeem" page in website in advance: https://www.southwest.com/rapidrewards/how-to-redeem
My favorite:

Which means:

How many points per dollar does it cost to redeem for a ticket?

Whatever the f**k we feel like charging you.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 10:50 pm

Originally Posted by vah4883
It seems that they have already updated the "How to Redeem" page in website in advance: https://www.southwest.com/rapidrewards/how-to-redeem
They've also updated their FAQ, I think. The first one right off the bat:

The number of points needed for a reward flight depends on the fare. Just like fares, reward pricing can vary based on destination, time, day of travel, demand, fare class, point redemption rate, and other factors and is subject to change.

https://www.southwest.com/html/custo...deeming_points

"Point redemption rate" sounds like a new factor.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 10:54 pm

Programs: WN CP, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Gold, Carlson Gold, AA Gold
The whole program started to unravel as soon as Ding started to not work anymore...
Old Feb 13, 2015, 6:59 am

Programs: WN CP & A-List Pref, HH Gold, Marriott LT PP
I heard an interesting rumor just yesterday that WN has been talking to HA. Normally, I would dismiss it as just another rumor but with the announced upcoming "program enhancements" to RR, maybe there's actually some substance behind it. I could see WN making program changes if some form of Hawaii service was in the cards. Let's hope these changes come along with some big service announcement, otherwise WN is really sticking it to us. As our friend Scotty says, "Let the speculation begin!"
Old Feb 13, 2015, 7:19 am

Originally Posted by ursine1
It's a factor multiplication that increases the effect exponentially.

If, right now, some flights cost, say, 2x to 3x more on certain nights for example, then you pay 2x to 3x more points. Cash and points fares are linked.

In the new scheme, you pay 2x to 3x more points, plus an additional multiplier on the points redemption value; i.e. 70/1$ regular becomes 80/$1 or 90/$1 (or more). Cash and points fares aren't linked anymore.

The effect is much, much greater.

Now… I suppose it's possible (but not probable) that Southwest will do the opposite, in effect "leveling" the cost of points based bookings.

Low cost fares would use a higher points multiplier, and higher ones a lower multiplier.

But this seems very unlikely.
Adding to that:

If the paid fare is competitive, under the current system the points cost is proportional and reasonable. If they don't want too many people going on points, they need to set a cash fare that's more than people will pay. Now they're making it so they won't be under those constraints.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
I fail to see a reason why they won't just do this every 12-18 months from now on. I have not seen their Facebook blow up much, so why wouldn't they?

Every time they do it, tens or maybe hundreds of millions of liability comes off the balance sheet.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
I fail to see a reason why they won't just do this every 12-18 months from now on. I have not seen their Facebook blow up much, so why wouldn't they?

Every time they do it, tens or maybe hundreds of millions of liability comes off the balance sheet.
They have modified the program about once a year, and it will continue.

Their Facebook page hasn't blown up because people who use Facebook don't read email.

In fact the announcement was done in a manner calculated to avoid notice.

The whole thing is highly cynical and the latest step toward Legacydom for Southwest.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 8:18 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
I predict a thread here where we post and discuss how high these new factors go.
Let's start thinking about the best way to organize/post such a thread (I suggest waiting until 4/17 to create it so that it is filled with datapoints [something like the boarding card/position threads] and not clogged-up with discussion, which discussion can remain in this thread).

First, since we may get other folks who haven't flown WN much, let's be clear about how to calculate the rate - my thoughts on what makes sense for us:
  1. Post only WGA fares (no AT or BS fares since it never represented a good value proposition in RR 2.x);
  2. Post the (a) route; (b) flight #; (c) departure time; (d) day of the week; and (e) calendar day of the subject flight;
  3. Post the WGA points required for redemption;
  4. Post the WGA base fare (exclusive of Excise Taxes, Segment Fees, Passenger Facility Charges, Security Fees, etc.) because that is what the current 70 pts/$1 WGA redemption ration is based on. [This takes effort - one has to click the paid fare and then choose the "Fare Breakdown" to see the base fare] Note - It doesn't hurt to post the all-in price, but, we'll need the base fare to see what the applicable ratio is; and
  5. Post the ratio SWA used for the redemption (i.e, do the math);
  6. EDITED TO ADD: We should probably post when the fare was calculated in the wiki since they may increase the 70pts/$1 ratio for close-in bookings.

So, an example data point post might be something like:

MDW-TUS (WN#867) 8:20am, Wednesday, July 22, 2015 (WGA fare):
12,372 Points required
$176.74 Base Fare ($204.10 all-in fare)
70.00 points/$1 of WGA Base Fare
[found 2/13/2015]

And, maybe we can utilize the wiki feature to succinctly summarize the information based on information posted. Maybe a list for each day with the summary of the flight and applicable redemption rate below? Like:

Wednesday, July 22, 2015 (WGA fare)
8:20am - MDW-TUS (WN#867): 70.00 points/$1 of WGA Base Fare [found 2/13/2015]
10:55am - PDX-LAS (WN#798): 70.00 points/$1 of WGA Base Fare [found 2/13/2015]

Thursday, July 23, 2015 (WGA fare)
1:55pm - DCA-MKE (WN#2944): 70.00 points/$1 of WGA Base Fare [found 2/13/2015]

We could include a lot more factors (like aircraft type, flight duration, etc.), but, that added effort might dissuade folks from posting.

Others' thoughts?

Last edited by FindAWay; Feb 13, 2015 at 3:35 pm
Old Feb 13, 2015, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
Their Facebook page hasn't blown up because people who use Facebook don't read email.
I can't even figure out how to read the non-WN facebook posts on their page from the mobile app!
Old Feb 13, 2015, 8:25 am

Programs: HH D, MB G, IHG P, Nat'l EE, Hertz PC
I think it's possible that they're doing something to the sliding scale redemption rates they already have in place within the WGA group, whereby cheaper fares require a smaller number of RR points per dollar than more expensive WGA fares do.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 8:32 am

Let's start thinking about the best way to organize/post such a thread (I suggest waiting until 4/17 to create it so that it is filled with datapoints [something like the boarding card/position threads] and not clogged-up with discussion, which discussion can remain in this thread).
I'm not sure whether the 4/17 date is the date the new rates will become effective (I kind of think it is) or if it's the date they will be published. I kind of suspect the new rates will be part of the extension to be published February 19 for flights after April 17, since the schedule is already published through August 7th.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 8:42 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
I'm not sure whether the 4/17 date is the date the new rates will become effective (I kind of think it is) or if it's the date they will be published. I kind of suspect the new rates will be part of the extension to be published February 19 for flights after April 17, since the schedule is already published through August 7th.
It could be. I'm okay starting the thread sooner; but, I don't want to distract from the discussion in this thread.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 8:47 am

Originally Posted by ncSam
I think it's possible that they're doing something to the sliding scale redemption rates they already have in place within the WGA group, whereby cheaper fares require a smaller number of RR points per dollar than more expensive WGA fares do.
There is no sliding scale within WGA. Fares are currently 70 points per 1$ of base fare. What you describe is what the new change will bring.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 8:55 am

Originally Posted by FindAWay
It could be. I'm okay starting the thread sooner; but, I don't want to distract from the discussion in this thread.
That's fine, I was just pointing out we may know more in a few days.

I already have one points ticket I need to purchase for August 10, I've bought the outbound leg and was waiting for the schedule extension to get the return leg.

I also suspect that they will be sneaky about implementing this change with relatively few changes immediately and a slow increases in the coming weeks and months. We likely won't know the full impact for some time.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 9:03 am

Programs: HH D, MB G, IHG P, Nat'l EE, Hertz PC
There is no sliding scale within WGA. Fares are currently 70 points per 1$ of base fare. What you describe is what the new change will bring.
A $45.10 WGA fare costs 2,019 RR points.
$45.10-$5.60 = $39.50, which is the value of using RR points
$39.50/2,019 points is 1.956 cents/point value
A $272.10 WGA fare costs 16,540 RR points.
$272.10-$5.60 = $266.50, which is the value of using RR points
$266.50/16,540 points is 1.611 cents/point value
This is, of course, ignoring the fact that you can buy WN GCs at a discount, and the fact that paid fares earn RR points, but shows that lower fares within the WGA bucket are a better value in terms of cents/point.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.