Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

First departure in the morning moving up to 530am

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2015, 7:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP

I notice many Southwest planes are starting their days much earlier between 530-555am in the west coast.

In March, there's an odd 535am SEA-SJC.

In May, there's a 530am SFO-ATL and 545am SFO-LAS.

These flights are typically red eyes and who need them for short haul such as SFO-LAS.

Is Southwest trying to schedule an extra flight or two per aircraft to maximize utilization? I personally don't think many people will book these super early flights.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 7:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP
In July

535am SFO-MDW and 545am SFO-DAL. I'll pay more to fly UA or AA into DFW to not have to wake up at 3am!
Old Feb 11, 2015, 7:35 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
They've been doing this for a while. There isn't much of a difference between 6a and 530a. They're brutal either way you look at it.

Originally Posted by flyingstudent
I'll pay more to fly UA or AA into DFW to not have to wake up at 3am!
Cool story. Thanks for posting.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
There are nine departures from BOS from 0500 to 0555. Lots of people manage to get up and get it done.

Old Feb 11, 2015, 9:03 pm

My MDW - MCO in Jan. was moved from 6:35am to 5:50 am after I had booked. Either one was bad, but moving it earlier was brutal. Especially the crowd I encountered at airport bag check when the kisosks weren't open yet (they eventually opened around 4:45am and staff was moving like they hadn't had their coffee yet). The changes are an attempt at fixing the abysmal on-time performance.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 10:16 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by ursine1
The changes are an attempt at fixing the abysmal on-time performance.
This plus I believe AirTran used to run flights this early (plus red-eyes) in my experience.
Old Feb 11, 2015, 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by flyingstudent
I personally don't think many people will book these super early flights.
Why not? These flights can do well especially if there are connections available at the destination side. e.g. SFO-ATL-east coast city.

Many people also prefer taking the first flight out in the morning. It is also reasonable and low stress for those staying at airport hotels. They just take the free airport shuttle out. Many of those airport hotels have park and fly options too, sometimes $5-10/ day which is great for those that might live a couple hours away from the major airport, to drive the night before, rest and fly out first thing.

Pax also get travel out of the way, and have more of the day for other use.

Last edited by rtalk25; Feb 11, 2015 at 10:39 pm
Old Feb 11, 2015, 11:34 pm

Programs: WN 3 Million Miler, MR Lifetime Titanium, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, AA Silver, United never again
I don't mind early morning flights, especially East Coast to West Coast.

However, at most cities TSA arrives to their own schedule, and the passenger volume doesn't mean a thing.

Try taking a 6 am flight out of ATL Term T, for a vision of hell.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by rtalk25
Chief reason I'm a huge fan of early flights, especially East to West. I just (try to) plan and finish packing a such a bit earlier the night before, get up and go, (try to) sleep on the plane, and arrive with a whole day ahead of me. I hate having a 5 day vacation, with two days eaten by airports and airplanes. I also live 10min from my home base airport, and said airport happens to have phenomenally quick TSA pre-check lines
Old Feb 12, 2015, 8:54 am

Programs: SWA RR BIS 6.2M, A+'20, CP'20, AA, UA Gold, Hertz PC, Hilton Diamond
Earliest I can see coming out of SJC is 6:30a for a variety of destination.

I can't remember SWA ever pushing back earlier than about 6a so I'd assume it relates more to noise abatement at the airport and when airlines can start service.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 8:59 am

Programs: AA Aluminum, WN B+
Originally Posted by Wingrider
Earliest I can see coming out of SJC is 6:30a for a variety of destination.

I can't remember SWA ever pushing back earlier than about 6a so I'd assume it relates more to noise abatement at the airport and when airlines can start service.
SJC has the noise curfew between 11:30pm and 6:30am so they're a special case.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 11:04 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
I like early flights West to East because it helps me adjust to the time change one day earlier.

Security lines on the West Coast seem to peak around 6 to 630AM Monday. Those early flights at the beginning of the week are very popular.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 11:33 am

Programs: Chase Sapphire Reserve, WFBF
Originally Posted by rtalk25
Why not? These flights can do well especially if there are connections available at the destination side. e.g. SFO-ATL-east coast city.

Many people also prefer taking the first flight out in the morning. It is also reasonable and low stress for those staying at airport hotels. They just take the free airport shuttle out. Many of those airport hotels have park and fly options too, sometimes $5-10/ day which is great for those that might live a couple hours away from the major airport, to drive the night before, rest and fly out first thing.

Yeah, and on the west coast in particular, 5 AM is the same time as 8 AM in the east. East-coast based travelers who were out west for just a day or 2 probably have not adjusted to the time difference and have no trouble getting up for 5 AM.

I agree about it being early in your own time zone though. When I used to non-rev (on a different airline), 5 AM was often the best choice on the east coast because it was more likely for revenue passengers to miss their flights (since the first flight was not likely to be delayed and it's easy to sleep through a 3 AM alarm).
Old Feb 12, 2015, 11:43 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards/AAdvantage
Originally Posted by wetrat0
Yeah, and on the west coast in particular, 5 AM is the same time as 8 AM in the east. East-coast based travelers who were out west for just a day or 2 probably have not adjusted to the time difference and have no trouble getting up for 5 AM.

I agree about it being early in your own time zone though. When I used to non-rev (on a different airline), 5 AM was often the best choice on the east coast because it was more likely for revenue passengers to miss their flights (since the first flight was not likely to be delayed and it's easy to sleep through a 3 AM alarm).
That's true I can leave Dallas at 605am before 7am
Old Feb 12, 2015, 1:06 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM+, HHonors, Amtrak GuestRewards
It seems like this is true for other carriers, as well. For example, AA's first SFO-ORD departure is now at 5:04 am, and SFO-DFW, 5:25 am.

As another poster noted, connecting flights can play a significant role. For example, United's earliest flight from its EUG outstation to its SFO hub is at 5:45 am. Alaska's early Eugene - PDX flight departs at 5:10 am. Having taken both of those flights--they let me get to my West Coast destination in time for work, but that's a rough day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.