Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

First departure in the morning moving up to 530am

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First departure in the morning moving up to 530am

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2015, 6:03 pm

Programs: WN, UA, DL, AA, Chase UR, Amex MR
Originally Posted by jco613
I try to shy away from morning flights altogether. I'd rather leave work early and take the last flight of the night then leave in the early am.

Now when I used to work overnight I would go to work for a few hours and then leave about 5am to catch a 7am flight. At the time I was flying fll-Tpa and the flights were essentially me and pilots who had flown the red eye. We were a very peppy bunch!
I worked overnights at my old job which was only about 15 minutes from HOU and I would occasionally take the 5:45 or 6am flights. I always felt like a bit of an alcoholic ordering a beer or a whiskey when everybody else was bleary eyed and in desperate need of coffee.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 8:03 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Inching closer to red eyes?

Searched SJC-MDW on 7/1/15 and was shocked to see three (3) separate connecting flights each arriving at MDW at 1:50 AM !!

Something newer or did I miss something...
Old Apr 17, 2015, 8:43 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
Recently, there was some discussion about very early departures and very late arrivals in this thread: First departure in the morning moving up to 530am.

The 1:50am arrival was also the latest arrival that I could find (as I noted in that thread):

Originally Posted by FindAWay
Originally Posted by knope2001
Looking the other direction, I've run across my first sighting of a scheduled WN arrival after 1:00am. In the summer schedule flight 3299 leaves Midway at ten pm and is scheduled into Boston at 1:10am.

I've seen plenty of arrivals after midnight in the last several schedule releases here and there, but this is the first time I've seen an arrival scheduled that late. I wouldn't care to be on the flight when that aircraft suffered from T-storm delays earlier in the day.
There are worse. For example, July 19th (and others) - LAS-MDW #650 departs at 8:25pm and arrives at 1:50am(+1).

Any 2:00am or later arrivals?
I'm curious - Are there any 2:00am (or later) arrivals anywhere in the system?
Old Apr 17, 2015, 9:23 am

Thanks, my bad for starting another thread, I do vaguely recall that one. Mod, please merge. So much for that theory that the existing res system couldn't handle after midnight arrivals. I reckon that MDW is such an important scheduling hub that getting the planes in there, no matter what time, is essential.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 10:35 am

Programs: WN CP & A-List Pref, HH Gold, Marriott LT PP
With these 1:50am arrivals being the very last flights of the day for these aircraft, better hope there are no earlier delays on the segments they are flying. Otherwise, you will be landing at MDW as the sun rises.

With the first departures leaving MDW around 5:30am, you could almost do a custom connection "red-eye" heading east with a 3 hour nap layover at MDW.
Old Apr 17, 2015, 10:41 am

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Originally Posted by joshua362
Thanks, my bad for starting another thread, I do vaguely recall that one. Mod, please merge. So much for that theory that the existing res system couldn't handle after midnight arrivals. I reckon that MDW is such an important scheduling hub that getting the planes in there, no matter what time, is essential.
That was never the theory. A former Airtran turned WN insider stated that the computer would not allow anything later than 2:00am Central time.

. The cutoff is not at midnight. It is at 2-3am Central (I forget which without double checking parameters) Hence every red-eye is out.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
LAS-AUS WN2255 is the latest I've ever seen - 9:20pm-1:55am, a brutal 2:35 non-stop "red-eye". Note that the earlier eastbound non-stops are blocked out at 2:50, but that would push the flight past the magic 2AM time. Several of the recent arrivals have been after 2am.
Old Jul 7, 2018, 4:09 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
The magic 2am time no longer exists with the new ( 1 year ago ? maybe more ) res system.
Old Jul 8, 2018, 3:25 pm

Could be DAL, LGA and MDW have curfew restrictions.

Could also be WN pilots' contract stipulates extra pay for red eyes driving costs unreasonably high.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 4:45 pm

Southwest has been very assertive at scheduling flights departing in the 5-6 and arriving in the Midnight-2a windows. This article by Skift notes that they are flying with fewer aircraft than usual as a sub-fleet had to be retired sooner than optimal. https://skift.com/2018/04/05/southwe...t-shortage/12/

I've flown DEN-MDW a few times before on flights arriving after Midnight. If you want to nap for a few hours, the C Concourse (north of the security checkpoint) is usually the most empty area of the airport. If you want to get to the loop, note that the CTA Orange Line is closed from 1:00-3:30; the CTA modifies its 62-Archer route to service the airport overnight. I've used both options to get to the Greyhound station after late flights for an early-morning coach departure and haven't had any issues.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 6:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
There is a LAS-MDW arriving 1:55 am.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Well, I would think that flights to Hawaii will eventually lead to the need for redeyes, if WN intends to connect Hawaii to the remainder of their route system. Sure, you can fly back and forth to the West Coast during the day, but what if you are trying to get to, say, Providence. One of the segments is likely to be a redeye.
Old Jul 19, 2018, 12:28 pm

One would like to think so, but then again this is Southwest. There are plenty of international destinations where you can get to one way but not back! And one would think ATL would have become a major "hub" after AirTran but guess again. Only time will tell!
Old Jul 20, 2018, 5:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by toomanybooks
There is a LAS-MDW arriving 1:55 am.
1156, and it arrived at 2:45 this morning.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 6:10 am

Originally Posted by bon95
Anything earlier than 515am?

I show AUS-BWI and AUS-BNA at 515am.

edit: Looks like 515am is the earliest, with these being the current offerings...

AUS-BWI
AUS-BNA
LAS-HOU
LAS-STL
MCI-MCO
MKE-RSW
MCI-MCO is a 5:10am departure, 4:40am boarding. MCI has ~10 flights per day (WN, UA, AA, DL) that depart earlier than 6am.

Last edited by msglsmo; Jul 20, 2018 at 6:11 am Reason: spelling

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.