Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

First departure in the morning moving up to 530am

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First departure in the morning moving up to 530am

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2015, 2:26 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
Brutal. I've done a bunch of those 6:xx flights on WN, and they never get any better. I'm totally drained by the time I get to my destination. I've since started flying (especially to the west coast) on Friday nights instead of first thing Saturday morning.

No way will I fly at any time beginning with a 5. WN, you crazy!
Old Feb 12, 2015, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by ursine1
The changes are an attempt at fixing the abysmal on-time performance.
BINGO! ^

Plus, with the new AA re-banking their ORD and DFW hubs, the earliest flights from the west coast will move into the 5am hour. The first SEA flights will leave before 5:15am. PHX already has a flight at that time. I will be interesting to see if passengers are willing to rise earlier and, importantly, if the TSA will figure out how to staff correctly at SEA in the early am hours (I'm not holding my breath; the TSA staffing at SEA is abysmal and the agents are generally rude).
Old Feb 12, 2015, 5:25 pm

Programs: WN, UA, DL, AA, Chase UR, Amex MR
My work schedule requires me to be on duty at 5:00am so getting up super early isn't really a big deal for me. That said, the curbside drop off, luggage check, and TSA lines are brutal at that time of day since all those flights are going out 100% with local passengers. A-list helps a ton but the terminal at HOU tends to still be a mess either way at that time and it's all made even worse with the international terminal construction contributing a bit to the misery.

Last edited by alggag; Feb 12, 2015 at 7:23 pm
Old Feb 12, 2015, 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by nineworldseries
Brutal. I've done a bunch of those 6:xx flights on WN, and they never get any better. I'm totally drained by the time I get to my destination. I've since started flying (especially to the west coast) on Friday nights instead of first thing Saturday morning.

No way will I fly at any time beginning with a 5. WN, you crazy!
Guess I won't be seeing you on those first flights of the day!

Out of my home airport, the first flights of the day are often the busiest and have the least delays!
Old Feb 12, 2015, 9:58 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by formeraa
if the TSA will figure out how to staff correctly at SEA in the early am hours (I'm not holding my breath; the TSA staffing at SEA is abysmal and the agents are generally rude).
The TSA can't staff SEA properly during 5p on a Friday night. I can't imagine it'll be any better in the morning.

By the way, that 5a PHX flight has been going on for years out of PDX and SEA. I have coworkers who are regulars on that.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Man, some of you guys must be a lot younger than I.

Even though I need a lot less sleep than I used to, trying to get up at 3:30 to get to a 5:30 flight is just a killer. My A is dragging for two days.

For the cost of a cheapie hotel room, booked with points derived from MS, I'll just go the night before.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 11:28 am

Looking the other direction, I've run across my first sighting of a scheduled WN arrival after 1:00am. In the summer schedule flight 3299 leaves Midway at ten pm and is scheduled into Boston at 1:10am.

I've seen plenty of arrivals after midnight in the last several schedule releases here and there, but this is the first time I've seen an arrival scheduled that late. I wouldn't care to be on the flight when that aircraft suffered from T-storm delays earlier in the day.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 11:46 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
Originally Posted by knope2001
Looking the other direction, I've run across my first sighting of a scheduled WN arrival after 1:00am. In the summer schedule flight 3299 leaves Midway at ten pm and is scheduled into Boston at 1:10am.

I've seen plenty of arrivals after midnight in the last several schedule releases here and there, but this is the first time I've seen an arrival scheduled that late. I wouldn't care to be on the flight when that aircraft suffered from T-storm delays earlier in the day.
There are worse. For example, July 19th (and others) - LAS-MDW #650 departs at 8:25pm and arrives at 1:50am(+1).

Any 2:00am or later arrivals?
Old Mar 12, 2015, 12:02 pm

Programs: WN CP, A+, UA Sil, MR Amb LTP, Hyatt Plat, HH Dia, National EE
Anything earlier than 515am?

I show AUS-BWI and AUS-BNA at 515am.

edit: Looks like 515am is the earliest, with these being the current offerings...

AUS-BWI
AUS-BNA
LAS-HOU
LAS-STL
MCI-MCO
MKE-RSW

Last edited by bon95; Mar 12, 2015 at 1:10 pm
Old Mar 12, 2015, 7:26 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pto, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
It is how you add capacity without capital costs. ex-MSP SWA only infringes on the 6AM barrier with 5:55A on select days. The other big three have 5:08 (IAH), 5:10 (CLT), and 5:20 (ATL). I flew on the US CLT flight a few months ago and it was a later schedule as I recall it being fitting the first daily flight out be Delta.

6AM is about my limit. I am too close to the airport to justify a hotel and usually too cheap to get a taxi so allow my flight window to be dictated by the transit schedule. I am a three block walk and a 20 minute ride to the airport, doing anything else seems wasteful.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyingstudent
These flights are typically red eyes and who need them for short haul such as SFO-LAS.
Not that way most people define red eyes:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red-eye_flight

Southwest doesn't fly red eyes, which would be a flight that leaves someplace west late in the evening and arrives someplace east in the morning (largely due to crossing multiple time zones).

Red eyes doesn't mean simply an early morning flight.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 8:34 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by sdsearch

Red eyes doesn't mean simply an early morning flight.
I would define these as bleary eyed flights.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 10:33 pm
Suspended

This might have been a one-off flight for Thanksgiving, but I was on a 5:00 AM flight down to MCO that was completely full of college students (funnily enough all of them I knew and lived on my floor) and basically everyone else was a family with 2-5 year olds travelling to Disney. So maybe these flights won't work everyday, but they do work depending on the O&D and time of year.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 8:41 am

Wife and I refuse to do these early flights at the start of vacation. Who wants to get up at 4 in the morning to start a vacation? So when our vacation starts on a Saturday we do a positioning flight Friday night. For example for BDL-CUN we did BDL-BWI Friday evening then took the morning flight to CUN the next day. BWI airport hotels have very cheap point requirements.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 2:14 pm

I try to shy away from morning flights altogether. I'd rather leave work early and take the last flight of the night then leave in the early am.

Now when I used to work overnight I would go to work for a few hours and then leave about 5am to catch a 7am flight. At the time I was flying fll-Tpa and the flights were essentially me and pilots who had flown the red eye. We were a very peppy bunch!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.