Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Wanna Get Away fares... refundable if using points?

Old Jan 13, 15, 10:24 am
Original Poster

I know WGA fares can only get SWA credit when canceled. But what if they're booked using points and then canceled? Do I lose the points? Full points refund? Maybe lose the small fee? I vaguely remember reading that a full points and fee refund is issued, but I want to make sure. Thanks
Old Jan 13, 15, 10:30 am

Originally Posted by DaveInLA View Post
I know WGA fares can only get SWA credit when canceled. But what if they're booked using points and then canceled? Do I lose the points? Full points refund? Maybe lose the small fee? I vaguely remember reading that a full points and fee refund is issued, but I want to make sure. Thanks
Full refund of the points, immediately re-deposited back into your account.

The $5.60 in fees can also be refunded or turned into a credit for future travel.
Old Jan 13, 15, 10:31 am

Programs: WN:No status in 2015; UA:1K long gone (1995-2003).
Points are returned to your account. The security fee is refundable but you need to click the radio button for refund to original form of payment as the default is to keep funds for future use.
Old Jan 13, 15, 10:34 am

Programs: Southwest A-List, Alaska MVP, Hyatt Whatever, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold
This question is 100% Googleable in seconds.
Old Jan 13, 15, 3:14 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
I consider it my community service to answer questions for newbies. And as a down-payment against any questions I want to ask in the future.
screeton likes this.
Old Jan 14, 15, 1:19 pm

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by nineworldseries View Post
Yea, but what is a "google" and how do I find out what it is all about?
Old Jan 15, 15, 3:41 pm

YES EVERYTHING WITH POINTS IS REFUNDABLE!!
I requested a refund last week for a flight with points and the points were back in my account with in minutes.
for the money you have the option of refund or save for future travel. make sure to select the one you want
Old Apr 26, 15, 1:26 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, MR Plat, HY Globule
Searched but didn't see this angle covered. If I book a WGA fare with points for another person and cancel, do the points go back to my account? The CoC says:

"..... the fare paid for unused nonrefundable Tickets, including taxes, security fees, and Passenger Facility Charges, may be applied toward the purchase of future travel on Carrier for the originally ticketed Passenger only."

I was planning on booking a trip using points at the WGA level for some friends. If we had to cancel, I believed that I would get the points back into my account, but the CoC made me wonder if that was strictly true, and that I would have unrestricted ability to reuse the points rather than having to re-book a trip for the "ticketed passenger". Any experience with this?
Old Apr 26, 15, 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by xooz View Post
Searched but didn't see this angle covered. If I book a WGA fare with points for another person and cancel, do the points go back to my account? The CoC says:

"..... the fare paid for unused nonrefundable Tickets, including taxes, security fees, and Passenger Facility Charges, may be applied toward the purchase of future travel on Carrier for the originally ticketed Passenger only."

I was planning on booking a trip using points at the WGA level for some friends. If we had to cancel, I believed that I would get the points back into my account, but the CoC made me wonder if that was strictly true, and that I would have unrestricted ability to reuse the points rather than having to re-book a trip for the "ticketed passenger". Any experience with this?
That is if you are paying $$ for the ticket, not points.
Old Apr 26, 15, 1:55 pm

Well, I looked for something specific on this in the Rapid Rewards section as well as the CoC, but there was nothing that clarified that the methodology mentioned in the CoC for regular forms of payment was NOT used when Rewards points are used as "payment".
Old Apr 26, 15, 3:09 pm

Well, I looked for something specific on this in the Rapid Rewards section as well as the CoC, but there was nothing that clarified that the methodology mentioned in the CoC for regular forms of payment was NOT used when Rewards points are used as "payment".
OK. Do you have your answer or is there something else you are asking?
Old Apr 26, 15, 5:44 pm

Programs: No change fees keep me tied to WN. Hilton and Choice hotels primarily.
I would listen to NextTrip . That is why you asked the question, correct?
Old Apr 27, 15, 8:37 am

Programs: Kimpton Inner Circle; IHG Spire elite; Marriott & SPG Gold, r
Been there; done that. Booked ticket for my son using my points. Cancel ticket, all points back in MY account and ticketing fee credited to my Credit card.
Old Apr 27, 15, 7:50 pm

Thanks all... stated response and a clear historical example... what more could one ask for? Much appreciated!
Old Mar 9, 18, 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by nineworldseries View Post
Using Google, I got to this thread.

I'm happy the question was answered, rather than sending me on a search back to ..... Google.
synergistic likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: