Passengers Taking Advantage of Preboarding

Old Dec 22, 15, 9:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by brewdog11 View Post
The frustrated family calmed down after being told that they would be kicked off the flight if they continued their fussing.
I would pay money to see that.
Old Dec 22, 15, 9:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Amtrak, WN
Originally Posted by Doc Savage View Post
I would pay money to see that.
There is so much more rich detail than I can explain here (partly because it was one of those "you had to be there to see it" moments, and partly because I do not wish to be banned), but it was a spectacle worth paying for. The family was irate. The other pax waiting to board were irate. Sighs were heaved and comments were made.

The no-nonsense GA stood her ground and maintained control. Had any of the exploitative preboarders physically challenged her, she would have had backup.
Old Dec 22, 15, 10:04 pm
glg

Most recently saw one going MDW-MCO last month. Youngish grandma/grandpa travelling with their daughter and granddaughter. Grandma/pa in late 40s, mom is 20s, kid is little. When I get to the gate I notice that the kid is playing in the wheelchair, none of the adults appear to need it. mom sits in it for a while, but nobody appears to actually need it. Once it gets close to boarding, finally grandma sits in it when an attendant comes to help w/ boarding. Grandma preboards and saves 4 seats of first row for the rest of the family.
Old Dec 23, 15, 9:09 pm

Southwest could cut way back on this issue if they wanted to by only allowing 1 person to accompany a pre-board and actually enforce it and then stop allowing the saving of seats (which I think would be a good thing anyway)
Old Dec 24, 15, 8:19 am

Originally Posted by disalex View Post
Southwest could cut way back on this issue if they wanted to by only allowing 1 person to accompany a pre-board and actually enforce it and then stop allowing the saving of seats (which I think would be a good thing anyway)
The one person accompanying a pre-boarder is already a rule, just like one parent accompanying a child during "Family" boarding.
Old Jan 3, 16, 2:54 pm

Programs: AAMastercard, ChaseSouthwest
Retirement community

Dang, he isn't even old enough to live in the Villages in Florida.

Originally Posted by glg View Post
Most recently saw one going MDW-MCO last month. Youngish grandma/grandpa travelling with their daughter and granddaughter. Grandma/pa in late 40s, mom is 20s, kid is little. When I get to the gate I notice that the kid is playing in the wheelchair, none of the adults appear to need it. mom sits in it for a while, but nobody appears to actually need it. Once it gets close to boarding, finally grandma sits in it when an attendant comes to help w/ boarding. Grandma preboards and saves 4 seats of first row for the rest of the family.
Old Jan 4, 16, 12:07 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, United Club ex-Lifetime Member
Originally Posted by brewdog11 View Post
There is so much more rich detail than I can explain here (partly because it was one of those "you had to be there to see it" moments, and partly because I do not wish to be banned), but it was a spectacle worth paying for.
Post it in the Peanut Gallery thread in this forum. That's so Caveat Lector that I don't think any post has ever been deleted.
Old Jan 4, 16, 3:21 pm

The real issue here is that you can't fly WN as a group. When it's just 2 of us, and I'm A-List, sure we get seats together. 6? 12? all flying together? Very difficult to sit close. On an hour flight that is no big deal, if you're on a 4.5 hr flight it is less than ideal to all be spread out. Yes, maybe you can Early Bird, but a lot of people don't understand it or know about it, and even with EB it is difficult to find seats together.

A compromise could be "group boarding" between A and B groups, with a surcharge attached.
Old Jan 4, 16, 10:31 pm

Programs: Southwest Companion Pass American Admirals Club Lifetime,IHG Rewards Spire,HHonors Gold
Last row a "gem"

Originally Posted by jco613 View Post
a few weeks ago at MDW, a gentlemen was telling his son to get him preboard because of his condition because he "has to sit in the last row." I was talking to the guy but never asked about his condition and it's frankly none of my business. Lo and behold, he preboarded and was sitting the last row.

He's the first person I have ever met who has voluntarily sat in the last row.
I love the last row for several reasons. One is that on a full flight the last few rows are more likely to still have a middle open seat. Two, the last row seating makes it easy to get another cocktail without having to wait; and thirdly when the urge arises you have a very short trott to the LAV and know when it is available
Old Jan 4, 16, 11:21 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, United Club ex-Lifetime Member
Last row seats are narrower. Not suitable for people with broad shoulders.
Old Jan 4, 16, 11:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by lmaccaro View Post
The real issue here is that you can't fly WN as a group. When it's just 2 of us, and I'm A-List, sure we get seats together. 6? 12? all flying together? Very difficult to sit close. On an hour flight that is no big deal, if you're on a 4.5 hr flight it is less than ideal to all be spread out. Yes, maybe you can Early Bird, but a lot of people don't understand it or know about it, and even with EB it is difficult to find seats together.

A compromise could be "group boarding" between A and B groups, with a surcharge attached.
No way in hell. There's already too damned many "family" boarders there, one kid + 6 adults, etc.
Old Jan 5, 16, 12:09 am

Terrible idea...worst I've seen on here in a long while.
Old Jan 5, 16, 6:22 am

Programs: Southwest, Best Western Gold, La Quinta, Dollar
How many sets of 6-12 seats together really are there after A-60?
Old Jan 5, 16, 7:17 am

Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112 View Post
The one person accompanying a pre-boarder is already a rule, just like one parent accompanying a child during "Family" boarding.
Are we sure about that? It may very well be the case, but I see two parents with one child board during family boarding all the time.

On the other hand, that could very well be due to OA's not caring or uninformed of the rules. The other day I heard I parent asking an OA about the family boarding for her and her nine-year old daughter. The OA said after the A group. Not, "family boarding is for those with children four and under."
Old Jan 5, 16, 8:46 am

Programs: WN A-List, Hertz 5*, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by texashoser View Post
The other day I heard I parent asking an OA about the family boarding for her and her nine-year old daughter. The OA said after the A group. Not, "family boarding is for those with children four and under."
I believe they have bumped the family boarding's maximum age of children to six; at least, that is what I have been hearing announced, for quite awhile.

Search this Thread