Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

At what times does southwest.com update or unlock seats?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2015, 1:52 am
Original Poster

I am trying to catch a flight later today, but right now the latest wanna get away fare is 11am. I am hoping to catch one of their later flights but wanna get away fares are "unavailable" for later flights but business/anytime are still available.

I have noticed before when this happens, that the following morning they will make available wanna get away seats again if the flight is not sold out.

So im just wondering if if anyone knows when they update this? Or I've read about 2 hr flat tire rule, is this pretty standard or could they give me a hard time? If I show up with 2 hrs of my original flight and if there is still room on a later flight they will book me?
Old Jan 2, 2015, 6:37 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
You have two certain choices: A cheaper flight at a time which you would rather not fly and an expensive flight at a time you want to fly. I have been there a lot. First, decide which is more important. If it is cheap, buy cheap and be happy.

With that reservation, you can watch for seats to open up later, and do a quick change for the WGA at a better time. You are out nothing except the price differential. At worst you get the cheap seat at an inconvenient time.

If the time of travel is more important, buy the BS. This reservation can be changed to any flight with availability multiple times without penalty, and you will remain in the BS boarding group. This is what I do for most situations like this because time is usually more important than cost.

The two hour rule is for when you have been delayed and will miss your flight. If you show up on time they will not move you. If you show up late, there may not be seats. And, not canceling a WGA 10 minutes before departure subjects you to the likely possibility of your losing the reservation and the travel funds. Purposely doing the flat tire with the intention to circumvent the rules is a fraud, not in the legal sense but in an ethical one.

When do they convert open seats to WGA? Sometimes never, sometimes 24 hours out, sometimes day of flight. Occasionally, they never disappear. One thing is certain, if they do appear on the day of travel, it will only be online. You will not get it at the airport unless you sit at your computer and buy it.

It often does not matter how full the flight is. I have had to buy BS on a flight that had 100 passengers. I have bought WGA 24 hours out and bought the last seat on the flight. If you can figure out WN yield management, come back and tell us.
Old Jan 2, 2015, 8:05 am

^ What Ink said.
Old Jan 2, 2015, 5:28 pm

Just my experience but for my roundtrip ticket to Cancun WGA fares opened up about 8 hours before my flight. I originally had BS fare, but for both legs WGA fares opened up 8 hours prior. I called Southwest and they were able to change the fare quickly. I lost my boarding position, but was well worth the savings.
Old Jan 2, 2015, 7:18 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
It's difficult for Southwest to offer low-fares last minute because the space is just as likely to go to existing pax repricing as to new people buying tickets.
Old Jan 2, 2015, 7:30 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. I happened to check around 9am and they had opened up the later wanna get away fares. However, over whelmed with still some last min tasks I wanted to complete I did not book
Just was looking to get away to las vegas for a few days.
Old Jan 2, 2015, 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by user3657
Thanks everyone. I happened to check around 9am and they had opened up the later wanna get away fares. However, over whelmed with still some last min tasks I wanted to complete I did not book
Just was looking to get away to las vegas for a few days.
I'm confused. Did you fly on the earlier flight or skip the trip altogether?
Old Jan 2, 2015, 10:58 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
What were the AT and WGA fares?
Old Jan 6, 2015, 10:59 pm

Programs: AA PLT, WN A+ (and Sometimes CP) | Hilton Diamond | Avis Preferred | National Car Exec
What I've heard is something along the lines of this:

14+ days out: Best possible price on WGA.
7-14 days out: WGA pricing goes up - almost to the same price as AT.
Within 7 days: WGA goes unavailable.

Once a given flight starts to sell out, WGA will disappear (show as sold out) when the flight is down to the last 7 seats remaining.

As others have pointed out, (Ink said above), sometimes you can buy the last seat at WGA fare pricing, and sometimes they don't remove WGA inside of 7 days (perhaps there is some sort of undersell situation where they hold it open in this case).

All of this is pure rumor, and the exceptions/nuances are part of their yield management system that is proprietary and not discussed publicly. The first part of my "template" is garnered by looking at their published fare calendars.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.