LUV voucher

Old Nov 8, 14, 9:52 am
Original Poster

LUV voucher

Ok, I think I know my options but I still am not clear on a couple of points.

I have $913 and some odd change in LUV vouchers.

The expiration date is Dec. 4, 2014.

We will not be able to use them by the deadline.

Are these my options?

1. Call for an extension and pay the extension fee. (is it 6 months or 12? I am reading conflicting info.) And how much is the fee (I have two vouchers total.)

2. Sell them (I am reading they can be transferred????)

3. If I hang on to them and do nothing, can I pay the extension fee later???? Or if I don't do it by the expiration date am I out of luck?

4. Any other options to not lose them completely???

Thanks,

Donna
Old Nov 8, 14, 11:41 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by DonnaH View Post
Ok, I think I know my options but I still am not clear on a couple of points.

I have $913 and some odd change in LUV vouchers.

The expiration date is Dec. 4, 2014.

We will not be able to use them by the deadline.

Are these my options?

1. Call for an extension and pay the extension fee. (is it 6 months or 12? I am reading conflicting info.) And how much is the fee (I have two vouchers total.)

2. Sell them (I am reading they can be transferred????)

3. If I hang on to them and do nothing, can I pay the extension fee later???? Or if I don't do it by the expiration date am I out of luck?

4. Any other options to not lose them completely???

Thanks,

Donna
LUV vouchers are usable by anyone. The terms say "Southwest LUV Vouchers are VOID if sold, altered, purchased, brokered, and/or bartered." I'm sure people sell them all the time, but buyers need to be aware of the hazards. Hazards include the fact that the seller can use the funds at any time before you do. Give the vouchers to relatives or friends who will then owe you a favor.

Also, cash transactions of any sort are prohibited on FT, so if you are fishing for a buyer you are not likely to find one here.

I hope others respond here on the option to make a reservation using both vouchers, cancel and refund the excess payment to the credit card, let the funds expire unused, and apply for restoration of the funds.
Old Nov 8, 14, 11:46 am

My understanding is that LUV vouchers, unlike travel funds, are not extendable.
Old Nov 8, 14, 1:47 pm

You can probably donate them as well.
Old Nov 8, 14, 2:25 pm

As nsx alluded to, it may be possible to use the vouchers to book a flight, and then cancel that flight, effectively turning the voucher into travel funds. The funds would keep the same expiration, but they could then be reissued after expiration. Currently, you have 6 months from the date of expiration in which to request the reissue, and the new voucher created is valid for 6 months from date of issue. The fee is $100, which is deducted from the balance. And reissues are granted at the discretion of the agent, so they're not guaranteed.

I have no personal experience with this, so I'm not sure it would work. Hopefully someone else here can chime in with more definitive info.
Old Nov 9, 14, 6:28 pm

Programs: UA 1.050MM, PersonalCar 0.275MM
Next year I might be in a similar situation as the OP since I have had remarkable luck with my circumstances allowing me to volunteer multiple times in the last 6 months when Southwest has needed a volunteer to be voluntarily denied boarding.

I've also had to revive expired ticketless travel funds multiple times this year.

Phone agents have been pretty consistent with telling me that the known restriction when reviving expired ticketless travel funds is that the ticketless travel funds must not have previously been expired ticketless travel funds that had already been revived, and that they would have to research the history of the ticketless travel funds in order to verify that before they can re-issue the amount minus a $100 fee in the form of a new LUV voucher with a 6 month expiration date.

DonnaH, you have not indicated where your LUV vouchers came from. If they are from a previous revival of expired ticketless travel funds, then you may be out of luck as far as doing the same thing a second time and probably should look into some of the other suggestions that have been made here.

If the LUV vouchers came from volunteering (similar to my situation), I think that'd be OK to be revived. I.e., my suggestion in that case would be to use the LUV vouchers to buy a single round trip ticket that is as close to the total of your LUV vouchers as possible (possibly even slightly exceeding the total, which means you'd be putting in the difference as new money at risk), then cancel the ticket, being sure to keep the cancellation email message, then wait until the ticketless travel funds have expired, and call Southwest Customer Support to request that as a courtesy could they re-issue the expired ticketless travel fund as a new LUV voucher minus a service fee. You would be taking a risk, but I think it is a small risk.

Note that the reason you want to combine all of your existing LUV vouchers into a single ticket is that the service fee is charged per ticketless travel fund. You want to only have a single canceled ticket with ticketless travel funds representing the combined value of all of your LUV vouchers so that you only pay one $100 service fee instead of multiple such fees.

Last edited by pshuang; Nov 9, 14 at 6:30 pm Reason: Added paragraph about $100 service fee is per ticket.
Old Nov 10, 14, 9:43 pm
Original Poster

Vouchers were from a bumped flight. My son and I were traveling from the West Coast to the East Coast and volunteered to take a later flight to get vouchers.

Thanks,

Donna

Originally Posted by pshuang View Post
Next year I might be in a similar situation as the OP since I have had remarkable luck with my circumstances allowing me to volunteer multiple times in the last 6 months when Southwest has needed a volunteer to be voluntarily denied boarding.

I've also had to revive expired ticketless travel funds multiple times this year.

Phone agents have been pretty consistent with telling me that the known restriction when reviving expired ticketless travel funds is that the ticketless travel funds must not have previously been expired ticketless travel funds that had already been revived, and that they would have to research the history of the ticketless travel funds in order to verify that before they can re-issue the amount minus a $100 fee in the form of a new LUV voucher with a 6 month expiration date.

DonnaH, you have not indicated where your LUV vouchers came from. If they are from a previous revival of expired ticketless travel funds, then you may be out of luck as far as doing the same thing a second time and probably should look into some of the other suggestions that have been made here.

If the LUV vouchers came from volunteering (similar to my situation), I think that'd be OK to be revived. I.e., my suggestion in that case would be to use the LUV vouchers to buy a single round trip ticket that is as close to the total of your LUV vouchers as possible (possibly even slightly exceeding the total, which means you'd be putting in the difference as new money at risk), then cancel the ticket, being sure to keep the cancellation email message, then wait until the ticketless travel funds have expired, and call Southwest Customer Support to request that as a courtesy could they re-issue the expired ticketless travel fund as a new LUV voucher minus a service fee. You would be taking a risk, but I think it is a small risk.

Note that the reason you want to combine all of your existing LUV vouchers into a single ticket is that the service fee is charged per ticketless travel fund. You want to only have a single canceled ticket with ticketless travel funds representing the combined value of all of your LUV vouchers so that you only pay one $100 service fee instead of multiple such fees.
Old Nov 11, 14, 12:10 pm
Original Poster

Ok, so I need to book a $900 ticket and then cancel in order to maybe keep the amount.

More questions:

1. Is the credit back for the total amount (minus $100) so that I could potentially still use it for 2 separate tickets?

2. So if I let them expire they are just simply expired and void, correct?

THANK YOU!
Old Nov 13, 14, 11:58 pm

Programs: UA 1.050MM, PersonalCar 0.275MM
1. Is the credit back for the total amount (minus $100) so that I could potentially still use it for 2 separate tickets?
Yes, when Southwest Customer Service turns the expired TTF from your canceled $900 ticket into a LUV voucher, they'll deduct the $100 from the $900 and issue a single $800 LUV voucher. You can then use that LUV voucher towards multiple tickets for different people and in separate transactions, if a single ticket isn't enough to use up the entire value.

Oh, one minor caveat: LUV vouchers can't be used toward "government-imposed segment fees, Passenger Facility Charges, or September 11th Security Fees". They are valid as payment for the 7.5% federal excise tax usually quoted as part of the base airfare, however. What this means in practice is that even if you try to use that LUV voucher toward a single ticket that costs less than the value on the LUV voucher, you'll still have to supply a second form of payment (NOT another LUV voucher) to pay those taxes & fees.

Example: one of tomorrow's SFO-LAX flights is currently priced at $222.10, of which $193.49 is the raw fare and $14.51 is the 7.5% federal excise tax, totaling $208.00. The other gov't fees and taxes add up to $14.10. (To see this break-down, select a flight, click continue to price the flight, and click on the fare breakdown link below the air travel subtotal.) I could be trying to use a $1,000 LUV voucher, and Southwest would only apply $208.00 from the LUV voucher and require that you pay $14.10 with some other form of payment.

This usually really isn't a problem.

2. So if I let them expire they are just simply expired and void, correct?
Not clear to me what you're asking here.
Old Nov 21, 14, 5:33 am
Original Poster

THANK YOU!
Old Nov 21, 14, 5:34 am
Original Poster

I was just trying to figure out if I needed to book this phantom flight before they expire or if they would just take the $100 off the top if I wait until they expire and then book a real flight. I think it is the first now that I have read your reply.

Thanks

Originally Posted by pshuang View Post

Not clear to me what you're asking here.

Search this Thread