Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Final week(ish) to create standard awards - what are you doing?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2014, 12:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC G, WN A-, Hyatt G, HH G, MAR T, Hz PC, was [UA2P, FL A+Elite, BD G]

Hi all,

I thought it was worth reminding the board that the process to create standard awards will end by November 1st (if not sooner).

What are people here doing with this? I think I am going to create one more standard award (i.e two one-ways), as I used my last standard award on a last-minute trip a few weeks ago. I don't think it will be likely that I want more than that, given what I know about potential travel plans over the next year for my family.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 12:47 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Question

I am leaning towards converting all 600k points I have into 30 RT standard awards, which would be 15 round trips for my wife and I.

Points can be regenerated as I re-up for CP/A+ next year.

Award tickets, if I am flexible +/- one day AND daring enough to wait t-48hr inventory to open up, have served me well. They often save me from $600 each-way tickets for spontaneous travel.

Award tickets work for same day standby (at the gate podium) without a change in fare. Agents try to charge me more then say, oh wait, the system shows no cost difference after all.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 1:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC G, WN A-, Hyatt G, HH G, MAR T, Hz PC, was [UA2P, FL A+Elite, BD G]
Originally Posted by expert7700
I am leaning towards converting all 600k points I have into 30 RT standard awards, which would be 15 round trips for my wife and I.

Award tickets, if I am flexible +/- one day AND daring enough to wait t-48hr inventory to open up, have served me well. They often save me from $600 each-way tickets for spontaneous travel.

Award tickets work for same day standby (at the gate podium) without a change in fare. Agents try to charge me more then say, oh wait, the system shows no cost difference after all.
I'm being much more conservative, because 1) most of the time I can't be very flexible; 2) I have already booked trips during the times I expect to have some flexibility over the next year.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 1:33 pm

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass
Originally Posted by HPN-HRL
Hi all,

I thought it was worth reminding the board that the process to create standard awards will end by November 1st (if not sooner).

What are people here doing with this? I think I am going to create one more standard award (i.e two one-ways), as I used my last standard award on a last-minute trip a few weeks ago. I don't think it will be likely that I want more than that, given what I know about potential travel plans over the next year for my family.
I got a wild idea this past Friday evening that I should make a run to LAS & put some $$ on the Royals to take the World Series (nevermind last night's showing )

At 9pm Friday night there was availability for the old Standard Awards MCI-LAS Saturday morning *and* LAS-MCI Saturday night. THAT, my friends is a textbook example of the Standard Awards potentially being a great deal. Being "Flexible and Daring" as expert7700 mentions can minimize the stress. If you're not comfortable doing it, then don't.

I had 14 credits in my Air Tran account, so I washed a few more SWA "points" thru the system, transferred it back and had my RT tickets for essentially "nothing" (repeat after me: TWO ONE-WAYS. With very few exceptions, Friends don't let Friends book Roundtrips)

I flew out Saturday morning, made a couple of World Series bets, played some video poker, had brunch at Aria, departed at 5pm and was home (KC 'burbs) by 1030pm.

Of course booking inside of T-minus 10 +/- hours, I ended up with mid-B line positions. Did the polite "stand to the side" (there were no "families" that I saw) and the agents on both ends shoved me right on with a smile after the A's. Flew packed -800s both ways and still snagged exit row aisle both ways. Life is good.

I think I'm holding about the same number of points as expert7700; that will grow a bit more this upcoming weekend/next week.

I don't have family to haul around with me, and will be back to booking for cash for myself before long to get started on requalification for 2016.

I'm considering perhaps a bit more conservative approach than expert7700 and maybe doing a dozen +/- standard awards (?).

expert7700 certainly raises an excellent point that those of us regular/dedicated Southwest Customers should be reminded of....we'll be right back regenerating "new points" with the "new year", consequently taking what might look like a sizable "hit" on our points balance in late October really isn't anything to worry about.

I'd be curious to hear opinions from the other "regulars" amongst us <paging> rsteinmetz70112.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 1:54 pm

I transfered over and back enough points for a .25 "seeder" credit.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 2:07 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by expert7700

And do these all expire around 11/1/15 ? Have I missed something? Does the ability to extend for $100 still apply?

God Bless you Expert7700, wish I had your guts and energy!!

I'm tempted to do 2 and a seeder unless I missed something above.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 2:33 pm

No more extensions; all new Standard Awards will expire in 1 year.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 3:14 pm

what is a "seeder" credit?
Old Oct 22, 2014, 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by vacayseeker
what is a "seeder" credit?
This I know, transfer a 1/4 credit from Airtran to WN and let it sit there. At anytime afterwards you can add the 15 3/4 credits (as points) to create a full standard award. If you never do it, you're only out 300 points. I think the credit is good for 2 years?
Old Oct 22, 2014, 4:00 pm

http://www.rewardsfarther.com/progra...rapid-rewards/
Old Oct 22, 2014, 4:33 pm

Programs: WN A-List; Hyatt Glob: CC/HH Gold, Hertz 5*
Used up most of my points this year, have to scramble to even get to A-list this fall. I'll convert whatever points I still have to old credits, probably about 5 OW coupons plus a seeder. My route is very easy for last-minute awards and I'm thinking to use a strategy of last-minute Avios bookings with the WN awards as a backup. And then the rest paid WN flights in low season to keep A-list for 2016.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by joshua362
This I know, transfer a 1/4 credit from Airtran to WN and let it sit there. At anytime afterwards you can add the 15 3/4 credits (as points) to create a full standard award. If you never do it, you're only out 300 points. I think the credit is good for 2 years?
FYI: Credits are only good for 1 year from the day they are created.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by ursine1
I transfered over and back enough points for a .25 "seeder" credit.
+1
Old Oct 22, 2014, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
I am having a lot of trouble finding Standard one-ways on the routes I take that are worth much more than $137. Not sure it wise for me to stockpile.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 8:38 pm

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
I redeemed a RT standard award this week that would have cost $828. Excellent value for last minute ticketing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.