Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Southwest Companion Pass 2015-2016

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2017, 5:29 am

Originally Posted by rove312
You don't want to complete the spending for either card in a way that the bonuses post before 2018. Some would say that you're safe if you spend to reach the target after your December statement has posted; some would say to wait until January.
In my case the due dates give by Chase secure message is Jan 6th and Feb 16th, assuming those are correct, I can meet the target spending after Jan 1st and then there won't be any issue, only caveat is will chase stick to their e-mail replies. What if , if they go by 90 day rule?
Old Nov 6, 2017, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by Gitangali
In my case the due dates give by Chase secure message is Jan 6th and Feb 16th, assuming those are correct, I can meet the target spending after Jan 1st and then there won't be any issue, only caveat is will chase stick to their e-mail replies. What if , if they go by 90 day rule?
I use my dads points to book flights for me and then add my wife as my companion

There is no 90 day rule with Chase, it's 3 months.

Don't forget that it can take time for the purchase to post so I would make the purchase on December 30 in a store ( online purchases usually wait to bill until the product ships) that puts you over $2000 ( don't forget the AF does not count toward the spend) and it should post before January 6...........don't buy anything that you could possibly return.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 1:41 pm

People have been worried about WN pulling these CP deals for 10 years. Blogs have been pushing the heck out of "2 credit cards and a bit of spending" for a few years. I do not see what is different about 2017 that would change things.
Apparently there are no RR personal card offers with more than 40K bonus anymore; so one would have to add 30K points in paid flights or additional card spending to qualify for CP. Assuming a non-business owner can't scam their way into a business card, the gravy-train may be ending.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by RustyShackleford1
Apparently there are no RR personal card offers with more than 40K bonus anymore; so one would have to add 30K points in paid flights or additional card spending to qualify for CP. Assuming a non-business owner can't scam their way into a business card, the gravy-train may be ending.

Bus card is still easy to get for non bus owners, 60K personal offers disappeared about 6 weeks ago, chances are a 50K and/or a 60K personal offer appear some time in 2018

Many people applied for two 60K cards in early October and should be all set for 2018/19 CP
Old Nov 21, 2017, 8:09 am

Need Help with Chase Companion Pass Error in Spending

Hi Everyone, My first post and it’s about an error I made with the Chase Southwest Companion Pass Offers. Got the Plus and Premier cards in the beginning of October and planned to reach the $2,000 spend on both cards in the beginning of January, 2018 to get the most benefit from the companion pass.

Unfortunately, I screwed up and one of the cards (Plus) is over the $2,000 spend now (November). What happens if I get the 60,000 bonus point for the Plus in 2017 and the 60,000 bonus points for the Premier in January of 2018?

Can I do returns to drop the spend on the Plus card to below $2,000 spent before the closing date on the monthly statement?

Do I need to spend $2,000 on the Premier card in 2017 if there is no way of fixing the error on the Plus card? I don’t want to be caught in a situation where I don’t get any companion pass due to the bonus points coming in different calendar years.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited by Gadget_Man619; Nov 21, 2017 at 8:11 am Reason: Change Month
Old Nov 21, 2017, 10:00 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by Gadget_Man619
Hi Everyone, My first post and it’s about an error I made with the Chase Southwest Companion Pass Offers. Got the Plus and Premier cards in the beginning of October and planned to reach the $2,000 spend on both cards in the beginning of January, 2018 to get the most benefit from the companion pass.

Unfortunately, I screwed up and one of the cards (Plus) is over the $2,000 spend now (November). What happens if I get the 60,000 bonus point for the Plus in 2017 and the 60,000 bonus points for the Premier in January of 2018?

Can I do returns to drop the spend on the Plus card to below $2,000 spent before the closing date on the monthly statement?

Do I need to spend $2,000 on the Premier card in 2017 if there is no way of fixing the error on the Plus card? I don’t want to be caught in a situation where I don’t get any companion pass due to the bonus points coming in different calendar years.

As far as I know this is not fixable. If you could somehow have generated a large return credit within a day or two of passing the threshold and if the sweep did not occur during that day or two then you might not have triggered the bonus. But once it's triggered, no matter whose fault it was (even a fraudster!) that's it.

This is why on FT we stress delaying spending until January, so nothing can go wrong. You aren't alone. Every year several people post that the bonus triggered earlier than they planned. FT'ers just love to cut things close.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 10:09 am

I'd say it's risky to try to do returns: your best hope is to try to reach the bonus for both cards before your December 2017 statement closes and get a 2017-18 CP. You should have the spending completed a few days before the closing date. There's mention in the main credit card discussion about the chance of changing your billing date so the statement can close in January; I don't know if that works with your setup.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 11:25 am

Programs: HH Diamond, HGVC, WN RR, National Exec, Avis Preferred

If you are slightly over, keep in mind that the annual fee does not apply to the spend requirement.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 12:36 pm

You need BOTH bonuses to post in the same year to get CP unless you already have 50K CPQP for 2017. As others have mentioned there are POSSIBLE ways to fix this but if you want any CP you might be better off completing the spend on the 2nd card now and at least get CP for a bit of 2017 and all of 2018.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 9:03 am

Programs: IC Royal Ambassador, Hyatt Diamond
Has anyone used their companion pass that was assigned to say their wife for a child who doesn't have to show ID?
Old Nov 22, 2017, 10:26 am

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by stinger101
Has anyone used their companion pass that was assigned to say their wife for a child who doesn't have to show ID?
Awww. The little princess won't be happy when WN cancels the ticket for fraud.

Just change the CP name.
Carpboy823 likes this.

Last edited by Tanic; Nov 22, 2017 at 10:32 am
Old Nov 22, 2017, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Tanic
The little princess won't be happy when WN cancels the ticket for fraud.
And cancels your CP. And erases all your points. And won't let you ever get another RR account.

And to get where you are going, you have to buy a last-minute BS ticket for 10x the price.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by stinger101
WN has your companions DOB, might be a hard sell
Old Nov 22, 2017, 7:20 pm

What is the best way to get the Companion Pass? I am currently 0/24. Should I sign up for the Premiere Business and Personal? Is the Personal better than the RR card? Is now a good time to apply points wise? Is there any order I should apply?
Old Nov 22, 2017, 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by mac1986
What is the best way to get the Companion Pass? I am currently 0/24. Should I sign up for the Premiere Business and Personal? Is the Personal better than the RR card? Is now a good time to apply points wise? Is there any order I should apply?
Business, Plus and then Premier will give you ( assuming not rule changes) 145K CPQP

If you only get the Bus and one personal ( as of now) you will still need 6K more CPQP after you spend $4K on the cards

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.