Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

What happens when your flight is taken off the schedule?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2014, 12:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: HIlton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Southwest

While searching for lower prices for flights I've already booked, I noticed that one of my January flights was no longer on the schedule. Shouldn't Southwest immediately contact every passenger who booked that flight, so they can make alternate plans in a timely manner? Or is it up to us customers to keep checking the schedule so we're not left in the lurch?
Old Oct 11, 2014, 1:13 am

Programs: My opinions are my own and not that of my employer(s)
They should...

But on schedule extensions sometimes flights/routes disappear for a day or two. It might be normal. Maybe they just no longer sell a connection on that route.
Old Oct 11, 2014, 7:06 am

Programs: WN CP, A+, UA Sil, MR Amb LTP, Hyatt Plat, HH Dia, National EE
Is it international?
Old Oct 11, 2014, 7:46 am

Programs: WN Rapid Rewards, Delta Skymiles
Originally Posted by freebee
Shouldn't Southwest immediately contact every passenger who booked that flight, so they can make alternate plans in a timely manner? Or is it up to us customers to keep checking the schedule so we're not left in the lurch?
If they'd actually cancelled the flight, yes. However this is almost certainly an IT glitch (we've had many reports here of this happening). Check back in a few days, and it will most likely be showing up again. If not call in and check.
Old Oct 11, 2014, 8:10 am
Original Poster

I've also seen flights temporarily disappear, but upon further examination it looks they took my ticketed ISP-PHX route, which was supposed to have one brief stop in FLL with no plane change, and ditched it because the FLL-PHX nonstop has now been pushed back by about 30 minutes. I can still get to PHX in one stop that day, but with a 35 minute changeover in MCO, I'll probably be boarding late and sitting in the back of the plane for the five hour flight to PHX. Surely not the world's biggest calamity but the question remains- when the heck would Southwest even bother to notify me? And had I paid with cash instead of points, would my money get refunded if I didn't want the new flight option?
Old Oct 11, 2014, 8:54 am

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Originally Posted by freebee
And had I paid with cash instead of points, would my money get refunded if I didn't want the new flight option?
Yes.
Old Oct 11, 2014, 11:16 am

Let us know the outcome.
Old Oct 11, 2014, 7:16 pm
Original Poster

Coincidentally, I received a call from a Southwest agent earlier today, informing me of a schedule change on yet another flight in February. It was a minor change, so no big deal, but I then asked him to check on my January situation. He confirmed that schedule change, which I ultimately agreed to, but he had no answer as to when I might have otherwise expected to be notified. I will call the Customer Service department next week and share my concerns, but I doubt they'll care. By the way, of the six flights I have scheduled in December, January and February, three of them have been changed, and it's only October. Not a very good batting average for an airline whose schedule used to be cast in stone.
Old Oct 11, 2014, 8:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Air carrier, including WN, affirmative notifications are way off. Whether carriers ought to or not, the reality of 2014 is that you need to regularly check your bookings. Complain all you want and you will get expressions or remorse, but nothing will change.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 9:51 am

Programs: I fly whomever offers the best flight(s) where and when I want to go (with some exceptions...)
My sister was booked to visit in January (OAK->PHX Jan 16 WN 783): her nonstop flight also disappeared a couple of days ago.

When I was periodically checking to see if the fare went down, I noticed it, and then attempted to check the res via the website: an error box came up saying that the res could not be accessed online (or similar wordage). Now it simply says that the reservation has been canceled. We did not cancel it. It was booked with points, and nothing has gone back; the TSA fee also has not been refunded.

I have no idea if the return leg is still booked or not. It is my sister who is flying, so I've already told her to get on the horn with Southwest and pick out a new flight. I don't think she has gotten around to it yet.

We have heard nothing from Southwest.

fyi

Last edited by HappyCoachFlyer; Oct 12, 2014 at 9:52 am Reason: add wordage about non refund to show res must still be active somehow, somewhere
Old Oct 12, 2014, 12:36 pm

Programs: I fly whomever offers the best flight(s) where and when I want to go (with some exceptions...)
My sister finally got time to call up WN and get it all sorted out. She's no longer on her booked nonstop (duh), and she didn't want to take Southwest's suggestion of their super-late-night nonstop, so they appeared to get everything updated to an agreeable new flight combination.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.