Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

Rude gate agent and the trouble with no more blue sleeves

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2014, 12:38 pm
Original Poster

My family was flying home this past Wednesday. My son pre-boards because of disability and this was out first trip since the elimination of the blue sleeve. We were at the Denver airport and when they called for preboards, my son and I walked up and stood next to the people in wheelchairs and I made sure that I was holding the boarding pass so that the preboard message was pointing out.

The gate agent was working alone and took two folks in wheelchairs one by one. When she returned from taking the second wheelchair down, she went directly to the intercom and welcomed the A1-A15 people (there was a third person in a wheelchair but I guess this wasn't her flight). I said something like "Wait, don't forget about us" to her to let her know that we still needed to go. She was extremely condescending and said that we weren't boarding now unless we were pre-boarders. I showed her the boarding pass and she got even nastier and said "Didn't you hear me? I already called for the pre-board passengers?"

I try to stay even keel around my son, but she was so freaking mean. I snapped back "We came up and stood in line with the wheelchairs. I don't know what else you expect me to do?"

I like to give people the benefit of the doubt and I will just assume that she was at the end of a long day. But that said, the lack of blue sleeve makes it impossible for a gate agent to tell if a person is standing there cause they don't know the boarding process or if they have an invisible disability. Of course they shouldn't get crappy with a person, but I do understand how there could be uncertainty on both ends.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 1:16 pm

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass
Originally Posted by shellmisi
My family was flying home this past Wednesday. My son pre-boards because of disability and this was out first trip since the elimination of the blue sleeve. We were at the Denver airport and when they called for preboards, my son and I walked up and stood next to the people in wheelchairs and I made sure that I was holding the boarding pass so that the preboard message was pointing out.

The gate agent was working alone and took two folks in wheelchairs one by one. When she returned from taking the second wheelchair down, she went directly to the intercom and welcomed the A1-A15 people (there was a third person in a wheelchair but I guess this wasn't her flight). I said something like "Wait, don't forget about us" to her to let her know that we still needed to go. She was extremely condescending and said that we weren't boarding now unless we were pre-boarders. I showed her the boarding pass and she got even nastier and said "Didn't you hear me? I already called for the pre-board passengers?"

I try to stay even keel around my son, but she was so freaking mean. I snapped back "We came up and stood in line with the wheelchairs. I don't know what else you expect me to do?"

I like to give people the benefit of the doubt and I will just assume that she was at the end of a long day. But that said, the lack of blue sleeve makes it impossible for a gate agent to tell if a person is standing there cause they don't know the boarding process or if they have an invisible disability. Of course they shouldn't get crappy with a person, but I do understand how there could be uncertainty on both ends.
Southwest Ops agents ("Gate Agents") always work-alone when boarding flights.

She was likely caught off-guard as she returned from boarding the second wheel chair when you didn't immediately speak-up to identify your son/self as a pre-boarder. If your son & yourself were the next pre-boarders, I would have immediately moved to the jetway door to be ready-and-waiting as soon as the Ops Agent came back from the previous pre-board.

With the elimination of the Big Blue Cards, Employees have no visible means to see from a distance that a passenger is a pre-board if they don't make their presence known. Something akin to the squeaky wheel.

The amassing of folks and their offspring around the gate is typically the beginnings of the "family boarding" herd that happens between the A and B boarding groups. You could have been mistaken for part of that unless you verbally identified your son/self as pre-boarders.

If you think you were mistreated, go Here and file a complaint. Be sure to supply the station, gate & flight number so that they can retrieve the Employee working the flight.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 1:29 pm

Programs: none
You know that half of the agents in the company are below average. It looks like you just didn't get one who met your expectations.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 4:17 pm

Programs: UA Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Allan38103
You know that half of the agents in the company are below average. It looks like you just didn't get one who met your expectations.
Technically, half are below median. It is mathematically possible for 98% of them to be below average.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 4:47 pm
Original Poster

I didn't move all the way forward because there was still one person in a wheelchair sitting there. But I was seriously right there in the area - the agent didn't even look up, she went right from the tunnel thing to picking up the microphone.

I wasn't upset about her missing us but she was just so rude to me - both when she thought we were random passengers and even more so when she realized we were preboarding. I hope she needed a good night sleep and is normally pleasant. I don't want anyone to get in trouble - just venting on that end.

The bigger issue is that Southwest needs to realize that not having an obvious visual cue of preboarders for their employees may mean that they need to make a verbal call out before they move on or they need an area designated for people to be in at every gate.

I'm sure I'm being sensitive about this, but having it become a situation in front of everyone getting on the plane wasn't cool and just drew attention to me and my son. I liked having the blue folder that I could discreetly hold but the gate agent knew and it all went smoothly.
Old Oct 11, 2014, 1:59 pm

Programs: WN A List Preferred and CP, AA, IHG Spire, Hertz #1 Gold 5*, Hilton Diamond, Enterprise Platinum
average

Glad we got our math lesson in for the day.��
Old Oct 11, 2014, 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by Soccerdad1995
Technically, half are below median. It is mathematically possible for 98% of them to be below average.
well, that is not completely accurate. The term "average" has not exact meaning. There are at least three different meanings to aveage (mean, median, and mode). You would be correct is saying 98% of them could be below the mean. But hey, I am a nerd
Old Oct 11, 2014, 9:01 pm

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond
As a COS and not an obvious preboard, I step up and make my presence known, showing my card. It helps them and me.

There is a bit of a difference with a COS. Their boarding screen shows the number of us on the flight and they are looking to clear that from their screen.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 12:33 am

Programs: SWA RR, CO One Pass, TAM Fidelidade, HA Miles, DL Skymiles, KLM Flying Blue
Originally Posted by shellmisi

With the plastic blue sleeves going away, you were suppose to get some sort of white piece of paper from the "gate agent". The person you were referring to is NOT a "gate agent". They are an OPS agent, also known as the "boarding" agent.

They gate agent were suppose to give you a white piece of paper in lieu of the blue sleeves like before. The paper has printed rules of about where to not to sit on the aircraft, etc. Also, I have seen pre boarders with what looks like a boarding pass that has in BOLD letters PRE-BOARDS on it. If you don't have that, the boarding agent would not know and assume you are like any other passengers waiting to board.

You should have gotten that piece of paper and show it with along with your boarding pass when they call for pre-boards.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 1:02 am

Originally Posted by SDCA
With the plastic blue sleeves going away, you were suppose to get some sort of white piece of paper from the "gate agent". The person you were referring to is NOT a "gate agent". They are an OPS agent, also known as the "boarding" agent.

They gate agent were suppose to give you a white piece of paper in lieu of the blue sleeves like before. The paper has printed rules of about where to not to sit on the aircraft, etc. Also, I have seen pre boarders with what looks like a boarding pass that has in BOLD letters PRE-BOARDS on it. If you don't have that, the boarding agent would not know and assume you are like any other passengers waiting to board.

You should have gotten that piece of paper and show it with along with your boarding pass when they call for pre-boards.
The OP mentions that in the first paragraph.

...when they called for preboards, my son and I walked up and stood next to the people in wheelchairs and I made sure that I was holding the boarding pass so that the preboard message was pointing out.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 1:16 am

Programs: SWA RR, CO One Pass, TAM Fidelidade, HA Miles, DL Skymiles, KLM Flying Blue
Originally Posted by ursine1
The OP mentions that in the first paragraph.
Read my post again.

I said it "looks like" a boarding WITH the word PRE-BOARD printed on it.

The OP mention "boarding pass". He/she never mention anything about the boarding pass saying PRE-BOARD on it. That could be a regular boarding pass with a position number on it.

Also, this particular "pass" doesn't have any name or position number on it. Just mostly the word PRE-BOARD is printed on it to give to the boarding agent along with their assigned position boarding pass.

I fly again on Monday and will ask to the gate agent for me to see a PRE-BOARD pass and will post that pix on here.

Last edited by SDCA; Oct 12, 2014 at 1:20 am Reason: additional text
Old Oct 12, 2014, 10:45 am

Yikes.

While I can't speak for the OP, it's pretty clear that they did have the "some sort of white paper in lieu of the blue sleeves."

I'll repeat the relevant section of my quoted text, so you can read it again:

...the boarding pass so that the preboard message...
Old Oct 12, 2014, 11:15 am

OP quote: I said something like "Wait, don't forget about us" to her to let her know that we still needed to go.

I think this is where the OP set things off. The OP says "something like", which more than likely was a bit more curt than what was posted.

Since the OP was standing BEHIND the wheelchair occupant, that the Operations Agent already figured out was not supposed to be on this particular flight, this wasn't the proper place to be standing. They should have been right by the podium where the Operations Agent collects the boarding passes; like the OP and their son were the next to board.

Agreed that the Operations Agent shouldn't be "condescending". The OP shouldn't either.

Move along...nothing to see here.
Old Oct 12, 2014, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by NextTrip
OP quote: I said something like "Wait, don't forget about us" to her to let her know that we still needed to go.

I think this is where the OP set things off. The OP says "something like", which more than likely was a bit more curt than what was posted.

Since the OP was standing BEHIND the wheelchair occupant, that the Operations Agent already figured out was not supposed to be on this particular flight, this wasn't the proper place to be standing. They should have been right by the podium where the Operations Agent collects the boarding passes; like the OP and their son were the next to board.

Agreed that the Operations Agent shouldn't be "condescending". The OP shouldn't either.

Move along...nothing to see here.
<facepalm>

How would the OP know that the wheelchair occupant was not supposed to be on this particular flight?

It's astounding to me how, when posters come here with legitimate issues, discussed in a level, metered tone, some people are quick to jump all over them with their own invented ideas of supposed errors on the OPs part.

Taking this discussion back to the original point, it was certainly easier for everyone when blue sleeves were used. In the short term, it might be a good idea for the ops agents to make an extra effort to ensure all pre-boards are addressed. Long term, perhaps WN should consider some sort of alternate method instead of just an additional piece of white paper that resembles a regular boarding pass. Would using colored stock for the pre-board passes be an option? (One suspects not, but perhaps.)
Old Oct 12, 2014, 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by ursine1
Yikes.

While I can't speak for the OP, it's pretty clear that they did have the "some sort of white paper in lieu of the blue sleeves."

I'll repeat the relevant section of my quoted text, so you can read it again:
Apparently they DIDN'T have that boarding pass document that has PRE-BOARD in bold letters on it to show to agent for boarding.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.