Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Southwest Airlines | Rapid Rewards
Reload this Page >

What to do with 17,862 points that are expiring early december?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2014, 8:24 pm
Original Poster

Hi. Appreciate any help from the expert on these boards. Back in 2011 or so I took advantage of the southwest credit card promotion with the 50,000 points. (I cancelled the card after the year) Used some for a nice anniversary trip with my husband and have 17,862 left that are expiring 12/5/2015. Not a good time for us to fly somewhere. I tried to buy a few gift cards with what was left but it kept telling me I was not logged in even though I could see my name and # of miles. Do you have to have an active Southwest credit card to get the gift cards? Thanks so much for taking the time to respond.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 9:50 pm

Programs: Southwest A-List, AMC Stubs A-List, Chick-fil-A-List
Might be better to extend the points expiration using partner activity, so you can use the points for a future trip.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 10:17 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Another option: send the points to AirTran and back. You will have 14.25 credits good until October 2015. Add 1500 points any time before then to create a Standard Award good for a year from the date you create it. Potentially a 20 month extension in all.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by lynw
have 17,862 left that are expiring 12/5/2015. ... Do you have to have an active Southwest credit card to get the gift cards?
Welcome to Flyertalk, lynw!

I think you do need the CC to get gift cards.

Easy method: Go to Rapid Rewards Dining and register any credit card. Then go to a restaurant on the list and buy something small with that card. Takes a few days only.
Old Oct 10, 2014, 10:52 pm

Programs: My opinions are my own and not that of my employer(s)
Originally Posted by toomanybooks
Welcome to Flyertalk, lynw!

I think you do need the CC to get gift cards.

Easy method: Go to Rapid Rewards Dining and register any credit card. Then go to a restaurant on the list and buy something small with that card. Takes a few days only.
Great idea though hard to find within the website.

I just searched google and found this link https://www.rapidrewardsdining.com/enrollment.htm
Old Oct 11, 2014, 4:06 am

Programs: starwood plat 5*elite svo, usair, delta, jetblue, southwest, nwa
go on the SW shopping mall and buy something . drugstore.com is always good.
Old Oct 11, 2014, 11:37 am

Buy some flowers for your husband through their partner program which will net you a quick 1000 points, and he'll love you for it!

http://www.southwest.com/html/rapidr...00Flowers.html
Old Oct 11, 2014, 12:13 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
If your points expire on 12/5/15, that means you have more than a year to use them since we're still in 2014.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.