Wiki Posts
Search

Alcoholic Beverage Policy?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2014, 4:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: WN
Alcoholic Beverage Policy?

I was on a three and a half hour flight (BOS-KC) today when the flight attendant told me there was a policy of one alcoholic beverage per hour on flights. News to me. Anyone ever heard of this?
Old Oct 3, 2014, 4:57 pm

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
Nope. I often order doubles.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by ekingston
I was on a three and a half hour flight (BOS-KC) today when the flight attendant told me there was a policy of one alcoholic beverage per hour on flights. News to me. Anyone ever heard of this?
Nonsense, unless there is some reason to believe excess consumption is already a factor. Rogue FA.
Old Oct 4, 2014, 11:52 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by dlaue
Nope. I often order doubles.
I always order doubles. What an a-hole. You should bring this to WN's attention. Or at least asked the other 2 FA's for a second opinion.
Old Oct 4, 2014, 6:13 pm

paying or using drink coupons? If Drink Coupons -i.e if drink coupons, maybe they prefer they expire than be used?
Old Oct 4, 2014, 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by ekingston
Could be a recent graduate of the FA program. On other carriers they are told in training to serve only one drink at a time, but the veterans seldom enforce the rule, if it actually exists in the first place.
Old Oct 4, 2014, 8:09 pm

I *JUST* got off a 3 hour flight, had 2 screwdrivers pretty quick, no questions..
Old Oct 4, 2014, 9:22 pm

If you are on a flight which is either long or has few passengers and have a friendly. open and unhurried Flight Attendant, I'd suggest you ask them if any such a rule exists.

If they are willing (and you are charming) they might even show you the binder every Flight Attendant is supposed to carry detailing how they are supposed to serve passengers.

One of my neighbors is an FA and although I don't get to talk to her that often, I'll try to remember to ask her next time I see her.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 9:19 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards/AAdvantage
Just thinking outloud, but I would think they can make that policy if they think a passenger may have been at the bar before the flight, or maybe I am wrong
Old Oct 7, 2014, 10:06 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by john398
Just thinking outloud, but I would think they can make that policy if they think a passenger may have been at the bar before the flight, or maybe I am wrong
They can outright refuse to serve you if they suspect intoxication, which is proper, although its hard to judge when and draw the line. Loud, obnoxious behavior is a clue. Thankfully I am a happy, respectful drunk.

I had a friendly FA ask me if I was driving home when ordering my 5th & 6th once and I assured her I had a limo waiting (true) and she was satisfied.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 10:27 am

Programs: AA PLT, WN A+ (and Sometimes CP) | Hilton Diamond | Avis Preferred | National Car Exec
This is highly unusual. 9 out of 10 times, when I'm ordering a cocktail, they pay extra attention to me, and ask if I want another, or if I want anything else.

"Policy" of 1 drink - maybe 1 at a time, but not 1 drink per flight.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by joshua362
They can outright refuse to serve you if they suspect intoxication, which is proper, although its hard to judge when and draw the line. Loud, obnoxious behavior is a clue. Thankfully I am a happy, respectful drunk.

I had a friendly FA ask me if I was driving home when ordering my 5th & 6th once and I assured her I had a limo waiting (true) and she was satisfied.
good to know, I need to find my 4 coupons I got in the mail for my Vegas trip
Old Oct 7, 2014, 12:21 pm

Programs: Diamond with Delta, Hyatt and Hilton. 2 MM and Plat with America (thank you citi:))
Originally Posted by joshua362

It is absurd to only serve one drink an hour. I was on a Delta MSP/MDW flight a week ago and my seatmate who I had seen drinking earlier in the lounge (not sure if he only had one drink or several but he was in front of me at the bar and ordered a G&T)had a double scotch on the rocks for a PDB and then asked for a refill and she told him she would serve him a single but that was it until we were airborne which I thought was reasonable. Once she started the service he had another double. He asked for another double and she asked if he was driving and he told her was taking the L, and she brought him another and said that was it. I thought that was reasonable to cut him off after that for a 90 minute flight and I was surprised he didn't seem intoxicated after having 7 minis and whatever he had in the Skyclub in that short of a time period.

I normally don't drink a lot on a flight anyway, but on the rare occasion I do I always tell the flight attendant I am taking a cab or my wife is picking me up which is true.

I think in the OP's case it was an anal and/or lazy FA. My wife is a big Bailey's drinker and a double of Bailey's has less alcohol than my Gin and Tonic made with one mini
Old Oct 7, 2014, 12:42 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
In general I believe one of a flight attendants responsibilities (and I'm talking in general here for all US airlines, not WN specific) is to not over-serve the passengers. I have had other FA's on other airlines indicate to me their (personal) 'policy' for accomplishing this is 1 drink every 30 minutes ... I have once or twice been 'cut-off' even (and more often not 'cut-off' when I probably should have been) ... these things are all the 'policy' of the flight attendant to meet their responsibility. Unfortunately there's just not much point in arguing such policies with the flight attendants. One drink every hour I agree is an overly strict policy, your only option is to complain to the airline after the fact.
Old Oct 7, 2014, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by Beckles
your only option is to complain to the airline after the fact.
Yes, I would not want to be the one tweeting that from the air

Anyway I usually only have 1 or 2

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.