Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cans of water - no longer allowed?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2014, 8:18 pm

Programs: SWA RR, CO One Pass, TAM Fidelidade, HA Miles, DL Skymiles, KLM Flying Blue
Originally Posted by expert7700
a can of soda costs WN about a quarter. A can of water likely half that. Last I checked my average airfare was hundreds of times that cost.

Once in a while a FA denies me a can (it's a short flight, you won't finish it in time. We're not provisioned to give out cans). On those very same flights I've seen one or two of the other FAs give out full cans to everyone whether they asked for it or not.
You have to factor in the destination the plane is going to and how full it is outgoing.

I believe some stations don't have full service provision and only restock ice and take away the trash.

If it's full outgoing and they don't have enough to serve on the next flight, that is understandable why they refused to give us a whole can.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 8:25 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Originally Posted by InkUnderNails
I suspect, and it is suspicion only, that this is a ruse that is easier than telling the truth. If the destination requires segregated waste and recyclables, it is much easier to do this in the galley where they are poured than it is on collection. I have been on flights that they had two bags, one for cans and bottles, one for trash, and they had to stuff papers up under their arm. People would hand over their total trash and the FA would stand in the aisle segregating stuff into bags and under arms before moving on.
Could be. But on more than one occasion, I've had an almost full can or Coke or Cranberry juice leftover from mixing my own drinks (I only take a splash), have told this to the FA at cleanup but they've had me dump it (liquid and all) right into the garbage bag.

I think this is along the same lines of tops off / tops on liquor bottles. They are supposed to take if off (for whatever stupid internal reason) but many will leave them on to reduce the potential for a mess, especially if you mix your own and order 2 at a time. There is the Company way, the right way, the easy way and all flavors in between.
Old Sep 21, 2014, 9:03 pm

Programs: SWA RR, CO One Pass, TAM Fidelidade, HA Miles, DL Skymiles, KLM Flying Blue
Originally Posted by joshua362
Could be. But on more than one occasion, I've had an almost full can or Coke or Cranberry juice leftover from mixing my own drinks (I only take a splash), have told this to the FA at cleanup but they've had me dump it (liquid and all) right into the garbage bag.

I think this is along the same lines of tops off / tops on liquor bottles. They are supposed to take if off (for whatever stupid internal reason) but many will leave them on to reduce the potential for a mess, especially if you mix your own and order 2 at a time. There is the Company way, the right way, the easy way and all flavors in between.
They are required to take the top off because passengers will take them off the aircraft if they don't drink during the flight.

Correct me if I am wrong but taking alcohol for sale off the aircraft is against FAA rules/regulations.

But I do know it's an FAA violations if a passengers bring their own minis and drink them during flight.

Last edited by SDCA; Sep 21, 2014 at 9:14 pm
Old Sep 22, 2014, 7:27 am

Originally Posted by SDCA
Correct me if I am wrong but taking alcohol for sale off the aircraft is against FAA rules/regulations.
I don't think it is an FAA rule. In fact they only started doing it on Airtran well after the purchase and one FA actually showed me her book that gave them the instructions.

I think it's a cost control measure to keep people from taking the liquor home.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 7:31 am

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
I don't think it is an FAA rule. In fact they only started doing it on Airtran well after the purchase and one FA actually showed me her book that gave them the instructions.

Regardless of whose rule it is, for the same reason you cannot take a beer out of a bar, you cannot take alcohol off the plane.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 9:57 am

Does the water actually come in cans? I have never seen a cab of water, or seen a bottle of water refered to as a 'can'.

I don't fly WN, so I don't know how they do it.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 10:00 am

Programs: SPG, Rapid Rewards, HHonors.
Originally Posted by will2288
Does the water actually come in cans? I have never seen a cab of water, or seen a bottle of water refered to as a 'can'.

I don't fly WN, so I don't know how they do it.
Carbonated water comes in a can.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by lougord99
Regardless of whose rule it is, for the same reason you cannot take a beer out of a bar, you cannot take alcohol off the plane.
BINGO!

That was the point I was actually trying to make.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 10:30 am

Programs: Frequent Flyer
This is embarrassing because it is not a policy (new or old). They do not want us to give cans automatically to everyone (but a few FA's still do with light loads). We are there to accommodate your requests for beverages and snacks. Asking for a can of anything is perfectly acceptable and should be honored. Want more snacks just ask.

Alcohol - we are trained and it's in print for us to served mix drinks mixed unless otherwise requested. The FA's who send out unopened bottles of liquor are violating our policy. The ones sending out the unopened bottles tucked into the cup of ice are violating sanitary rules, in my opinion, and if served to me that way I'd want fresh ice.

Look at the plane's alcohol more as a restaurant than a liquor store. It is a violation of our liquor license to serve liquor on the ground or allow it to be taken off the aircraft. Also, even though you can bring mini's through TSA it is still a violation of our policy to consume it on the aircraft. (FYI we know you do it or bring it to secretly consume - we just don't always see it happening in time to stop it)

All of our beverages are stored in cans, this includes our waters (gas/no gas). We have no refrigeration which is why we don't have dairy products.

Ask for what you like when ordering, personally I'll meet any of your requests with a smile and I know the majority of our SWA FA's will as well. I'm sorry for the few who don't - but that's another story.

To our newcomers, Welcome! Our frequent flyers - THANK YOU, I certainly appreciate your loyalty.

================================================== ==
These are my personal comments and not the official comments of my employer

Last edited by Eemraldskies; Sep 22, 2014 at 10:48 am
Old Sep 22, 2014, 10:32 am

Programs: WN 3 Million Miler, MR Lifetime Titanium, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, AA Silver, United never again
Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112

Airlines must comply with local liquor laws (some of which are stupid), union rules and bartender laws for FA.

I used to get unopened bottles from WN, as long as I promised to finish them before we landed.

And all opened drinks after each flight are disposed of for sanitary reasons.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 11:21 am

Programs: WN A-List, CP, Marriott Gold
On a 6:00 a.m. from HOU to BWI on 9/19 I went to the back of the plane to request an extra bag of "mini-grahams." The flight attendant hesitated but then capitulated. He handed me two...but he said " but you have to consume them on the plane. You can not take any service items off the plane." While preparing for landing, he made a general announcement asking passengers to return " all service items, including any that are unopened." Huh??? I did score a can of water on the next day BWI-HOU...
Old Sep 22, 2014, 11:43 am

Programs: Avis Preferred Plus
I have a rant on another thread. But as I said there, water should be the only "beverage" not considered a perk of any kind. There shouldn't be a limit on drinking water. Some people might have medication and might have forgotten to bring their own water. Or didn't have the time to buy one in the airport.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 11:56 am

Programs: Frequent Flyer
Originally Posted by saneman
I have a rant on another thread. But as I said there, water should be the only "beverage" not considered a perk of any kind. There shouldn't be a limit on drinking water. Some people might have medication and might have forgotten to bring their own water. Or didn't have the time to buy one in the airport.
This is something every adult should be able to handle on their own. Anyone can bring an empty container inside the airport, past security, to hold your water from the fountains. I noticed in an airport yesterday they had a place to pour your water out, outside security, if you wanted to keep the container (recycle the water?)

Many, many airports now have purified water stations next to the water fountains (free)- to save you money and help you make sure you are never thirsty when you travel.

Old Sep 22, 2014, 12:09 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
I've only had an issue with getting a can of water once or twice in about four years. I always try to get a can or two to go if I've got a late night arrival. Never had a FA give me grief over it.

Originally Posted by Eemraldskies
The ones sending out the unopened bottles tucked into the cup of ice are violating sanitary rules, in my opinion, and if served to me that way I'd want fresh ice.
Does the cup that sits in the ice bucket violate sanitary rules as well?

Originally Posted by will2288
It does indeed. I have a collection of them for some reason.

Originally Posted by saneman
But as I said there, water should be the only "beverage" not considered a perk of any kind. There shouldn't be a limit on drinking water. Some people might have medication and might have forgotten to bring their own water. Or didn't have the time to buy one in the airport.
Don't fly WestJet then. They charge you $3.50 CAD for a small bottle of Dasani.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 12:43 pm

Programs: Avis Preferred Plus
This is something every adult should be able to handle on their own
Hey, I agree on that point. But what are you going to do. Refuse someone who for whatever reason did not bring water onboard a request to have more water?
It's WATER. not wine. not even soda. It's not like by making it unlimited, many people aare going to abuse the limits!!!(Oh a chance to get free water, let's stock up!).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.