Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Strange connection(s) that are sold

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2014, 10:49 am
Original Poster

Strange connection(s) that are sold

I wonder why Southwest sells DCA-MDW-BOS and IAD-MDW-BOS. Wouldn't Southwest rather want the DC region customer to use it's BWI-BOS? I can't imagine Marc trains and other public transportation and/or driving to BWI being such a trek that connecting in MDW is shorter. If SWA ceased these sales, perhaps it could just lower the IAD-MDW fares to make up for the loss of connection seats with O&D seats. Or, if that hurts DCA-MDW O&D fares with customers flocking back to IAD, perhaps it could offer 1-2x DCA-MSP or something else if there is a surplus of IAD/DCA-MDW seats provided by Southwest.

Are there other sold connections that are strange?
Old Sep 9, 2014, 1:50 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Amex Plat
I was looking around southwest.com recently for a ticket from RIC-PHX. The least expensive option was this routing:

RIC-MCO-RDU-PHX (MCO-RDU-PHX is a thru flight)

I can drive from my house in Richmond to RDU in about 2 hours 45 minutes. Driving to RDU and taking the nonstop RDU-PHX would shave about 3 hours off the total travel time. For this trip I'll stick with DL or US which offer plenty of one-stop connections from RIC.
Old Sep 9, 2014, 2:29 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Is it possible in the future they could runa DCA-BOS direct--sure.

As of now they are strained on planes to offer that.

They already have a BWI routes that the people could easily take.

MDW is the is the closest "hib" they could use.

Southwest has gone through and pretty much ended the 3-4 hr driving distance flights.

The used to have SEA and PDX connected with GEG and BOI--they have since dropped that so the only other way to connect is on a flight through OAK

RNO-OAK was dropped so now its RNO-LAS-OAK
Old Sep 9, 2014, 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by djp98374
Southwest has gone through and pretty much ended the 3-4 hr driving distance flights.
I'm curious how much longer STL-MCI and vice versa will last. I can drive to KC in just over 3 hours. Some of my "direct" flights I've had in the past to DAL, PHX, etc., had me pass through there. I looked at that route, and they even have a STL-MSP-MCI at similar prices as direct non-stop flights!

Last edited by Poker2012chu; Sep 9, 2014 at 6:14 pm
Old Sep 10, 2014, 10:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I remember the days when STL-MCI had something like 20 flights a day between TW and WN. I flew the route semi-often.

It's a market for which I wish there were a few good nonstop trains a day. Not even calling for multi-billion-dollar HSR trains: just a couple regular Amtrak options in the 3:30-4:00 range would be nice.

If WN dumps the route, then there will be no good option between the two cities except driving. At least I-70 is a bit better than it used to be.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by pinniped
I remember the days when STL-MCI had something like 20 flights a day between TW and WN. I flew the route semi-often.

It's a market for which I wish there were a few good nonstop trains a day. Not even calling for multi-billion-dollar HSR trains: just a couple regular Amtrak options in the 3:30-4:00 range would be nice.

If WN dumps the route, then there will be no good option between the two cities except driving. At least I-70 is a bit better than it used to be.
Don't take my word for it, but I've heard Amtrak has been doing better with being on time today than in the past in MO, but that's just what I've heard.

As for WN dropping that route, it may be a while, if they ever do. When I head out west and have to go through MCI, the STL-MCI leg usually is full with decent O&D numbers; however, the reverse is hit and miss. Both MCI and STL have a considerable number of daily WN flights, so that may have something to do with it keeping the route up. If they drop the direct route, those who want to fly between those cities will probably have to stop in MKE or MSP, much like how OAK-RNO passengers have to pass through LAX or LAS.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 2:25 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Amex MR
Wow, and I thought my SLC-PHX-SEA direct flight was bad.

Oh well, if they sell it and it is a cheap option why not? Although I am only flying this route because I am redeeming points. Revenue flights for me between SEA and SLC will go to Alaska.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 3:07 pm

Programs: Southwest A-List, AMC Stubs A-List, Chick-fil-A-List
What's more silly is the MCI-OMA published schedules - all via STL and 3-5 hours for two towns 150 interstate miles apart. I used to get Ding! offers for this route all the time.
Old Sep 10, 2014, 5:48 pm

Programs: Hilton-lifetime diamond, Southwest A+, companion pass
BUR to SAN via LAS. About a 4 hour jaunt at $156/one way. Can drive it in less time.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 5:21 am

Programs: IC, WN, Hyatt, Avis
I gotta think BUF -MDW - LGA is the strangest routing. The only way to get to New York City from Buffalo is via Chicago on Southwest
Old Sep 11, 2014, 9:00 am

Programs: LTP, PP
How about MDW-MCO-ISP? MCI-TPA-ISP? ISP-MCO-DEN? Got tons of others. After they decimated ISP, routing through Florida is routine. There aren't enough ISP-BWI to meet the demand.
Old Sep 12, 2014, 5:28 am

Programs: AA PLT, WN A+ (and Sometimes CP) | Hilton Diamond | Avis Preferred | National Car Exec
CMH - BWI - MKE

CMH - MDW - RDU

It is not uncommon for WN to fly you the opposite direction to get you to a larger distribution airport.
Old Sep 13, 2014, 11:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zutalors
I gotta think BUF -MDW - LGA is the strangest routing. The only way to get to New York City from Buffalo is via Chicago on Southwest
I don't find that one that strange since BUF to MDW is just an hour leg. It might have some takers. Although JetBlue offers a BUF-JFK nonstop and likely considered low-fare, so I'm not sure if BUF-MDW-LGA is competitive to that, but NYC is such a large market that there might be some sales.

It offers PHL-MDW-PIT (same state but fly out west to MDW to connect) and started this right when PHL-PIT nonstop ended. It prices the itinery rather competitively (about $160 one-way) and cheaper than a PHL-MDW leg so it's actively seeking some pax to fly it. PHL-PIT nonstop fares on US are very high, so this can be an alternative. United sometimes offers a competitive PHL-IAD-PIT fare but it's hit or miss. That route is all regional jet but less travel time.

Some of the other routes like PIT-BWI-MKE are offered, but I wonder if there are any takers? There is no nonstop between PIT MKE on any carrier, but the Southwest option is a little bizarre. I'd wager most just fly PIT-ORD or maybe MDW and drive, but that just works given that Chicago is not too far from MKE driving wise.

Originally Posted by dlaue
BUR to SAN via LAS. About a 4 hour jaunt at $156/one way. Can drive it in less time.
It's interesting that it's the only LA area of airport that can be sold to via SAN.

Originally Posted by ohange
CMH - BWI - MKE

CMH - MDW - RDU

It is not uncommon for WN to fly you the opposite direction to get you to a larger distribution airport.
Like the PIT-BWI-MKE routing, there is CMH-BWI-MKE routing. That's kind of odd, and probably most just drive and others fly into ORD similarly.

The MDW routings aren't so bizarre on routes like CMH-MDW-RDU, or even CLT-MDW-PHL or RDU-MDW-PHL. I think to me it's more bizarre from IAD and DCA to points like BOS (where MDW makes no logical sense anyways) and where there is also a BWI nonstop is in the same region. But, maybe there aren't any takers so it's all moot.

Last edited by rtalk25; Sep 13, 2014 at 11:58 pm
Old Sep 16, 2014, 1:43 am

Programs: My opinions are my own and not that of my employer(s)
Originally Posted by ohange
Or sometimes through lesser than Megas. MSY-MKE-TPA to a city in the Northeast though I can't remember which. I haven't seen such a stupid routing in awhile. Maybe common sense is sinking in?
Old Sep 16, 2014, 6:18 am

Originally Posted by rtalk25
Some of the other routes like PIT-BWI-MKE are offered, but I wonder if there are any takers? There is no nonstop between PIT MKE on any carrier, but the Southwest option is a little bizarre. I'd wager most just fly PIT-ORD or maybe MDW and drive, but that just works given that Chicago is not too far from MKE driving wise.

Like the PIT-BWI-MKE routing, there is CMH-BWI-MKE routing. That's kind of odd, and probably most just drive and others fly into ORD similarly.

The MDW routings aren't so bizarre on routes like CMH-MDW-RDU, or even CLT-MDW-PHL or RDU-MDW-PHL. I think to me it's more bizarre from IAD and DCA to points like BOS (where MDW makes no logical sense anyways) and where there is also a BWI nonstop is in the same region. But, maybe there aren't any takers so it's all moot.
I actually fly some of these itineraries quite often, since I have the CP and don't want to deal with the drive from MKE to MDW. If it's cheap enough, folks will take these itineraries, especially for leisure travel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.